PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mustanggt

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 6, 2012
Have you guys ever gone on an auction site not intending to buy just to watch "where this one goes" and all of a sudden as it gets down to the wire your hands fly all over the keyboard and mouse and boom it's yours. Well here's my involuntary purchase. http://www.ebay.com/itm/DUNHILL-HUNGARIAN-OOM-PAUL-YEAR-1974-SHELL-BRIAR-PIPE-WITH-BOX-SOCK-PIPESTUD-/390543009940?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&nma=true&si=iTTfoviHvdPs%252F4c6bWLFQsBqQdE%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

gray4lines

Nov 6, 2012
KY
Wow! Looks great, I usually dont like that shape, but I'd smoke that!
Hope you got a deal!

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Congrats on your Dunhill! I think many of us have done the same thing, sometimes for good and sometimes for bad. I think you did pretty good!

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
yes I have done that and no it wasn't a dunhill, at the time I was collecting swords and lets just say I got a nice little samurai sword, but I was literally just watching it when boom.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have honestly never done that but can see how it is quite easily done. I always research the value of a pipe I am interested in before I ever bid on it. I find the researching to be great fun.
I believe you got a hell of a deal. I have not researched that shape, but I do know it is a collectible one because of it's rarity. I believe if that pipe had been cleaned up into pristine condition and sold through one of the three major no reserve guys, it would have easily brought over 350.00. I think you stole that one, so your involuntary purchase saved you a bunch of money.
I think everyone should watch pipestuds auctions, his prices are far less than most of the no reserve guys because he does nothing to the pipes. I do believe if you are trying to sell an estate pipe he is the last guy to use.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Harris, I was thinking the same thing about how a little clean-up would have brought a higher price.
Congrats on acquiring a nice, unusual Dunhill, mustanggt, with some nice ring grain to boot! In spite of the very minor cosmetic issues, the pipe looks to be in GREAT shape. I think you did really well, price wise. Hope you enjoy the pipe.

flmason

Lifer
Oct 8, 2012
I have placed bids in the past that I did not think would win and they actually did. In that regard only bid on something you want since if your bid wins you have bought the item in question.

Dec 24, 2012
I think everyone should watch pipestuds auctions, his prices are far less than most of the no reserve guys because he does nothing to the pipes. I do believe if you are trying to sell an estate pipe he is the last guy to use.
Harris, you are dead on right about pipestud as a buyer. But you would have to be a complete moron to use him to sell a pipe. First, he doesn't do a damn thing to make the pipes looks good - not even a wipe - yet his consignment take is quite high. Second, his photography leaves a lot to be desired (which given how dirty the pipes are, maybe is a blessing). Finally, his auctions are only available to US buyers. There was a pipe he had I was interested in and I e-mailed him and asked him if I could bid on it given that I am from Canada. He could see my rating - over 300, all positive rating - and he said no. The pipe ended up going for a LOT less than I was willing to pay for it. Anybody who is running an auction will tell you that they key to maximizing auction prices is to get as many bids as possible, with the hope that a bidding war will develop. So the more bidders the merrier. All of the big three no reserve sellers know this - how could they not, it is just common sense - but not pipestud.
I think you got a great deal on this.

Dec 24, 2012
Roth, I am not saying he can't set his own rules. He can choose to sell only to freckle faced leprochauns for all I care. All I am saying is that you would have to be a complete moron to use him to sell a pipe. To me that is simply a truism.

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
I made sure I was literally 100 miles from my computer today so that I wouldn't be tempted to bid on that one. Went ice fishing instead (and caught a limit). Congrats on a beautiful pipe.

onepyrotec

Lifer
Feb 20, 2013
Nevada
I have done it a few times, yes :rofl:
Usually when I want something, I will use a bid sniper which is set and forget. If I win, great, if I don't, great, I don't care.
Every now and then, I will see something that will catch my eye...such as an African Meer I got a few weeks ago...I didn't really need it, didn't really want it, but I bid, then was outbid...and then I couldn't let that happen so I had to win it.

mustanggt

Dec 6, 2012
Thanks for the good words fellas. I really was only going to watch it to see what happened because I need more knowledge about Dunhills. But when it stayed at the price it was down to the wire I thought, after the action, that even though I didn't know what that particular pipe was worth I knew it had to be alot more than my highest bid. These are alot easier to find info on: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dunhill-Estate-Pipe-Pfeife-Shell-Briar-Billiard-60-F-T-no-Filter-1968-69-/110998852514?ssPageName=ADME%3AL%3AOC%3AUS%3A3160&nma=true&si=iTTfoviHvdPs%252F4c6bWLFQsBqQdE%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

mustanggt

Dec 6, 2012
Another good thing about it is it doesn't look any dirtier than one of my pipes after a days use. It should clean up nice and easy baring any ghosts that may be hanging around. I'm looking forward to both of them.

mthanded

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
That's a nice pipe Mustang. I've been watching that one since he put it on and it went for a really good price. I was at work when the auction ended and may have bid higher on that one if I was home. I do like the Oom Paul shape and that one will clean up nicely. Congratulations!

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
I can't say I remember doing that. If I'm watching an auction, it's because I plan on buying it. I do often bid at he end, but thats just because I don't want to raise the bid early on.

mustanggt

Dec 6, 2012
Well it finally came in today. It took five minutes to clean it and it was ready to go. Whoever owned it before me took good care of it. Smoked a bowl and it was very nice. I need to try a new pipe out with my favorite tobacco instead of trying something new also that way I know if it smokes better in a real good pipe. Oh well that's what I'll do tomorrow. Now for the next one!!!

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Mustang
I bought a dunhill oom Paul a few months ago and although it was a smooth i paid much more than you

Granted it was fully cleaned but I think many of us could do the same to most pipes
I love that pipe shape (not for everyone) and I know you will get much enjoyment from it
Congrats

Allan

mustanggt

Dec 6, 2012
I forgot to say that it is so light. I have smaller pipes that feel way heavier. Hangs off my mouth nicely.

Status
Not open for further replies.