PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
In what is the longest pipe order in my young pipe career, I just recieved an email from McQueen that my pipe shipped. I dont have the pipe in my hands but for those considering ordering directly from them, I highly advise against it. Terrible customer service, terrible communication, and obviously long lead times.
Order Date 1.28.13

Arrive Date: Prob Sept 1st (I'll believe it when I see it)
Anyone have one and do you like it?

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Hey Z, I have one and it smokes incredibly well. I'll second the horrible service however, and unfortunately I wouldn't hold your breath on the shipment either unless they sent you a tracking number with that email. If they did you'll have to log on to canadapost.ca to track it before it hits the USPS. My local B&M ordered a big shipment from them and it took forever for them as well, they told me they fired their order processing person and their shipper as they try to right the ship. Hope you enjoy the pipe, I love mine.

wnghanglow

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2012
It's been over a year since I got mine but I believe I received the pipe shortly after they said it shipped. Although it did take them 9 months to tell me they were going to ship my pipe. I got the white wizard and the stem doesn't fit well and the wood feels weird when my mouth gets the stem wet. Overall it's very pretty but if I could choose I would not order again.

pjhicks

Lurker
Nov 16, 2010
Ever since the first Lord of the Rings movie came out, I have wanted one if these. For almost as long, I have heard horror stories about the service of that particular company! I feel for you, but hope all goes well now that it is en route!

alex87

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 30, 2012
I think the issue with them is that they only make a pipe when you order one. So from the time you click the yes button that's when they start, from scratch...at least that's what I understand happens. Not exactly a great business model but it sure cuts down on waste I suppose. They do look great though...

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
@brdavidson - No tracking info. Just a cryptic email saying it shipped. No shipping info so I dont even know if they're shipping it to the right planet.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
There was a vendor at the Chicago Pipe Show that had about 20 of these pipes for sale. I almost bought one.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I have two that I purchased from dealers so I did not experience dealing directly with MacQueen. I bought these very early on in my pipe smoking on impulse (both in the first year) ... a Ranger and a White Wizard. To be honest, neither of them smoke very well for me, and I have not smoked them in a long time now. The Wizard does smoke better than the Ranger though.
I knew little to nothing about pipes at the time, and they did not cost much and are great to look at...but I see them now as more of a novelty than anything else. I know some people have had a better experience with them...I hope yours smokes well for you.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
How on earth have they stayed in business?
"In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort."

-- The Hobbit; J.R.R. Tolkien
:puffpipe:
-- Pat

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
:lol:
I'm not casting aspersions... I just put down some shekels of my own on a warden and have *cough* two others.
In fact, I think the Smokestacks are raffling off a MacQueen at the monthly club night on Thursday.
-- Pat

pipinho

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 1, 2013
thats horrible, unless they contacted you and told you it would take so long

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Yep there is a really nice one at the shop that is just screaming for one of us to win Pat! Nice briar one with a fairly deep bowl and a really nice plateau top.
Well Z, I'd keep emailing them and ask them for tracking information since they didn't provide it. You will get it eventually, you just have to keep on them about it.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
did they charge your card when you ordered it or when they shipped it?
I'm a quick payer by habit and paid for it with PayPal. I too ordered this with in a month of my pipe smoking career. I ordered a White Wizzard. I actually dont mind the long lead times but lack of good communication and customer service is a show stopper for me. I dont care how great this pipe smokes I can't recommend McQueen to anyone with a clear conscience.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
Well guys - it arrived today. The white wizard comes with a stand, mine only had 1/2 of that stand and not the base. Also, this pipe is very very light and feels cheap. The stem almost feels like balsa wood. Looks machine made, not impressed at all from my first handling. I hope it smokes well.

gnatjulio

Lifer
Mar 22, 2012
New York
Wow!!! I thought my wait for my Altinok meerschaum was bad. I hope she smokes well for you Z. Keep us posted. Btw, did you get any lotr blends to smoke it with?

Status
Not open for further replies.