Hollywood Pipes (PipeSMOKE Magazine Archives)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Here's a great article from the Premiere Issue of PipeSMOKE Magazine from June 1997. Two different Hollywood tobacconists are interviewed and talk of their celebrity pipe smoking customers.
It's a really neat read. It's too bad the prediction at the very end of the article has not come true.
Check it out -

Hollywood Pipes

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Thanks Kevin - very enjoyable read.
And I learned something:
"Al would put silver bands on Bing’s pipes," says Tina Kramer, proprietor of Kramer’s Pipe and Tobacco, which she and her late husband Al opened in Beverly Hills, in 1948. "Bing would only smoke that one shape. He had them made up in England. He’d bring back a bunch and have my husband put on silver or gold bands for him."
I've heard so many rumors on who or where he had them made - but this seems to be the most reliable.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
The page looks great. But I'm wondering why you're taking the extra step of actually redesigning the original articles. Personally, I'd be just as satisfied reading scanned PDFs from the original magazine.
Bob

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Bob, you are correct that it would be less work. However, it is worth the extra effort to have machine-readable text, and html code that can be optimized for search engines. That way the information can be found when searching, more people will find it, the site gets more traffic, - everybody's happier. Interested readers find cool content. Advertisers get more impressions. The site makes the money required to produce the content. It's the great circle of life.

curl

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 29, 2014
I'll post this here.

Per this link....
http://alanwatts.com/life-and-works/
a film of this guy's life is in production.
I randomly picked his podcast to listen to on this morning's hike.

I walk the trails in Houston's memorial park.

I never heard him or of him before today.

The podcast was reeeaallly good.
Here it is for your listening pleasure...
http://zencast.org/zencast-455-what-is-by-alan-watts
I looked him up after the walk and the first image of him I saw was of him with a pipe.

And there are several photos of him with a pipe. Apparently, one of them has been turned into a poster.

So, he's been dead now for over 40 years, but fortunately some 400 of his talks live on.

Status
Not open for further replies.