PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

greenmtnsmoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 8, 2018
Hello All,
I was just wondering what kind of holiday smoking traditions, if any, people have?
For the last five years I have dug deep into the cellar on Nov 1st and jarred up two tins of what I consider to be special blends. I don't touch them until Thanksgiving when I smoke one bowl of each and then it's an exercise in willpower not to touch them until Christmas Eve. Then it's one bowl of each a day until New Year's Eve. This year's vintages are 2005 Christmas Cheer and 2009 Dark Star. Both were outstanding and are seriously testing my ability to keep my hands off of them, but so far so good.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I like the idea of holiday tradition. For me the holidays are my busy season at work, so my tradition is to just try and relax at night with a good pipe and pace myself.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I'm starting a tradition of sorts this year. I'll be smoking my new Altinok Santa Claus pipe everyday from tomorrow until Christmas Day (the 12 days of Christmas). It will be the only pipe I smoke. Tobacco of choice hasn't been decided yet. Probably something that smells good since I'll be around family.

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
Half and Half smell like Christmas to me, so I'll be smoking that in a cob. I also told my kids that Santa likes some variety from milk and cookies, he also likes cigars and whiskey.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Just off the top, I believe I'd prefer something fuller strength to something with flavorings like cinnamon and cloves. Any good English blend with other tobaccos balancing the Latakia would be good.

bryguysc

Can't Leave
Feb 4, 2015
I used to always open a tin of McClelland Holiday Spirit. I'm saving the two I have for a bit later.

This year, I found some alternates; a tin of 2007 Samuel Gawith Christmas Mixture, and a tin of C&D Corncob Pipe & Button Nose.

raevans

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2013
Not sure if it counts as a "tradition", but when my daughter was growing up, she would always make sure to leave out a plate of chocolate chip cookies, milk, and a pipe with tobacco. (Santa would always write a note thanking her for the pipe). When she is home for Christmas, she will still leave out a pipe and tobacco, (she's twenty-one now). I guess that it could be counted as a tradition, we have been doing it for close to seventeen years now.
The only other holiday tradition is that for the last twenty five years, I will smoke a clay churchwarden on Christmas Eve.

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
...from tomorrow until Christmas Day (the 12 days of Christmas).
Actually, Ray, the 12 days of Christmas go from December 25th to January 6th, at which point some Christians celebrate the Epiphany. Legend has it that the Epiphany was the day the Wise Men arrived on scene in the Christmas story.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
...from tomorrow until Christmas Day (the 12 days of Christmas).
Actually, Ray, the 12 days of Christmas go from December 25th to January 6th, at which point some Christians celebrate the Epiphany. Legend has it that the Epiphany was the day the Wise Men arrived on scene in the Christmas story.
Thanks Hap, never knew that. No problem, I'll just change the dates. I'll just smoke my new MacQueens White Wizard pipe on Christmas Eve if it ever gets here. Blasted Canadian Postal Strike. I'm putting them all on the Naughty List.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
I usually open up something rare or well aged, and share it with some pals. This year it's either a tin of 80's-ish Three Nuns, my last tin of Bengal Slices or some Peretti Royal that's been jarred up for about 10 or so. That and a bottle of Warre's port or two and it will be a heck of a night.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Since Aromatics are last on my preference list, Christmas always catches me with an aro itch. So ... I either buy a tin, or open a cellared one. I like smoking it over Christmas day and the second day of Christmas. I even smoke it visiting uncle Stephen for his name's sake on St Stephen day every - December 27th. I don't like candy like aromatics, but a bit more candy like is ok for Christmas. Last year I opened a Vauen The Shire tin ... still have a bit left to this day. This year ... I may open a St. Albert's slight vanilla, or .. maybe order a ratray's Christmas edition, or ... just take up lochinvar's advice. I have a 2012 tin of Orlik Golden Slice. I hear that is a treat.

Status
Not open for further replies.