PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
I can't find any reviews on this Drugstore Pipe Tobacco. Does anyone have any smoking experience behind this blend?

I'd love to hear your thoughts.

HolidayExcursion.jpg

Image from pipesandcigars.com

loborx

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 20, 2011
Never smoked it but I believe it is a copy of an old discontinued mixture that was called Holiday. Check tobaccoreviews.com for some reviews of it.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
An old drug store blend of burley and cavendish. I have not had it in many years. Not spectacular as I recall. Here are some reviews from tobaccoreviews.com.
http://tobaccoreviews.com/blend_detail.cfm?ALPHA=H&TID=668

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Not very many reviews of this stuff talked about what it tastes like...
Looks like one of those things I will end up buying and sharing.
Thanks for the link.

wildcat

Jan 1, 2012
Researching some codger blends available at P&C... http://pipesandcigars.com/miscellaneous.html
Found this year old thread in the process... Bump! :)
Here is an even older review (2010) of Holiday Excursion from right here @ PM. Sounds interesting :puffpipe:
http://pipesmagazine.com/joeg/pipe-smoking/altadis-holiday-excursion-pipe-tobacco-review/

wildcat

Jan 1, 2012
@Mike: The wife and I are heading to Albany this Saturday and I was planning on picking up some C&D Crooner at P&C while we'll be there. I'm thinking kicking the tires on an 8oz tin of HE may be in order too.

gardinertodd

Lurker
Jul 18, 2015
Just had my first bowl of it. Wow!! Mostly a burley but many delightful subtle yet distinct flavors dance on the pallet. Highly recommend!

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
According to the records of the Virginia Historical Society, Larus & Brother Co., the manufacturer of Edgeworth Extra High Grade Sliced and Edgeworth Ready-Rubbed pipe-tobaccos, purchased Holiday, "...one of the first brands of aromatic smoking tobacco to be marketed nationally..." in 1942. Unfortunately I have been unable to ascertain from whom they purchased it.
Lane Limited's Holiday Excursion blend (renamed since British American Tobacco - successor to Rothmans, successor to Larus & Brother Co. - apparently owns the Holiday Pipe Mixture trademark) is a truly flavorful pipe-tobaco. According to tobaccoreview.com it is comprised of Burley, Virginia, black Cavendish, Latakia, and Perique. Its taste is difficult to put into words, but exceptionally toothy, and I find that this mixture could easily be an all-day smoke.
I hope that this information is helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.