PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 24, 2012
I have been a little stressed out the last few weeks over a speech I had to give this morning at a conference, and once I was done and felt renewed and liberated, I decided to take the rest of the day off and hit the liquor store to stock up on libations for the upcoming holiday season.
I picked up a bottle of 1995 Glenrothes as well as a couple of bottles of my old standby, Bruichladdich Laddie 10
I also grabbed a bunch of Italian wines, including several bottles of some delicious 2007 brunello di montalcino as well as some 2007 barolo. Both are my favourite types of Italian wine, and 2007 was a stellar vintage in both regions.
I love stocking up for the holiday season. Is there some type or brand of alcohol that you buy every season to celebrate?
“Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places, if you look at it right.”

— Grateful Dead

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
Yesterday I picked up a bottle of New Amsterdam gin, a bottle of Aberlour 12 year old, and a mixed case of red wine.

gtclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2013
Thunderbird....
In all seriousness, nothing says "the holidays" like a little SoCo egg nog.

Dec 24, 2012
Great stuff.
I should have mentioned, in case Harris is creeping around, that under no circumstance is this thread going to devolve into a discussion of Champagne or other girly drinks (unless you are female, in which case I would love to hear about your favourite holiday libations).

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
We buy booze once a year - by the case. As of last week I had 2 bottles of Jameson, 1 bottle of Tanqueray, 3 bottles of Vox vodka, and 1 bottle of Barbosa spiced rum left (these are all the 2 ltr size). Ho-Ho-Ho!
PS

Glad your speech went great.

Dec 24, 2012
Ah yes, Jameson. Delicious stuff. I actually slightly prefer Bushmills, but have a sentimental attachment to Jamesons. Several years ago my wife and I were in Dublin and toured the Jameson distillery. She was chosen out of the tour group as the "taster" and got absolutely hammered. Let's just say our son was born nine months later and we bestowed upon him the middle name of Jameson. To this day I don't think he knows he was named after a bottle of booze.

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
I have All the Scotch, Whiskey , Rye and Bourbon i could afford in my Bar Yet i only drink my Johnnie Walker Black Label lol cant go without it. However i did make a really good Old Fashioned the other day with one of my Bourbons cant remember witch though.

latbomber

May 10, 2013
My holiday liquor stock up usually consists of:
-A flat of Granville Island Winter Ale (a vancouver beer that is heavily spiced with vanilla)

-Crown Royal

-Jack Daniels

-Some kind of gin

timely

Jan 23, 2012
El Dorado 12 year Rum

Makers Mark Bourbon

Sailor Jerry Spiced Navy Rum

Stolichnaya Russian Vodka

Jack Daniels

Crown Royal

Tanqueray

Dujardin VSOP Brandy

Wiser's Canadian Whiskey

The Kraken Black Spiced Rum

Still shopping.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Nice thread Peck... Islay's and Speyside's eh? I like your style.
Go-to's for the Russell household at Holiday time are:

- Lagavulin 16

- Wolf Blass Sparkling Brut

- A couple bottles of a nice Barolo

- St. Peter's Christmas Ale

- Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout
This year, I am on the hunt for a good recipe for Irish Cream. I think I'll be making some for work colleagues' Christmas/Hanukkah presents this year.
-- Pat

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
I always treat myself to a nice bottle of port at Christmas. I enjoy my Warre's regularly but during the silly season I like to indulge myself. This year I'm thinking a bottle of Penfolds Grandfather.

yaddy306

Lifer
Aug 7, 2013
Regina, Canada
Talisker and Aberlour for scotch

Hendricks gin

Cruzan single barrel rum

Kirkland bourbon

Stolichnaya vodka

Cazadores tequila
A Christmas gift to myself. Should last until next Christmas!
jk it's for guests...

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I'm at the state store here so often that the other customers think I work there. I also know the inventory better than those who do work there and regularly offer help with bottle selection. My point being, holiday or not, I'm ready at all times in case 30 people decide to drop in or there's a power outage or whatever.

rayje589

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2012
I don't really have a favorite liquor around the holidays but I usually make a punch using Onyx Moonshine and apple cider.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
Love Bushmills.

I am a "Survivalist" :D I stay stocked all year, every week.

Can't drink Champagne, Dom doesn't even do it.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
We usually check the pantry around Thanksgiving, so that we can stock up for Yule. On the 21st of December, we head up to Red Rocks to watch the sun rise, and toast the end of the old year and the approach of the new one (in 12 more days...) with a bottle of mead (homebrew, preferably, but Redstone is an acceptable substitute).

starcat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 24, 2013
Italian Reds are a great idea.

Also some totally home made egg nog laced with sour mash whiskey
SC

Status
Not open for further replies.