PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

doughboi

Lurker
Apr 24, 2014
So I'm off abroad in just over a month, and even though I'm new to the hobby, I'd like to take it with me! My question to you is - when you travel (either abroad for relaxation or on business) how many pipes do you take? Obviously I know about resting the pipe between smokes and rotation, but then you also have the issue of how much luggage you can take! Please don't tell me that some of you chaps travel with a pipe rack and cellar jars! Haha...anyway, be interesting to hear from you!

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
I've never taken mine abroad, or even on a plane for that matter. But generally, I take about 7-10 pipes with me on a week or less trip, and 2-4 different tins/jars of tobacco.

I'm planning on going on another cruise next year, so that will be my first time taking them abroad. The last few times I went out of the country, I was primarily a cigarette/cigar smoker.

latbomber

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2013
When traveling I take one of my "solid" pipes, usually a Peterson and a single tin of tobacco. It fits in my coat nicely and if something happens I wont lose a large amount of tobacco or an expensive pipe. Never had issues at airports or anywhere else.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
If I'm gone for a week, I pack a 4-pipe bag and rotate thru them. I put tobaccos back in their tins (from mason jars) as I don't like to fly with a baggie of unnamed tobacco. I take my zippo cases in my carry on, but put the Thunderbird inserts (2) in a ziploc in my checked bag. My pipe bag stays with me.

sailorjeremy

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2014
Virginia
When I went to Cuba last year and now here in Japan, I brought 3 of my solid work horse pipes and about 4 cobs. I typically smoke about 3 times a so provides a good weekly rotation. It's done me pretty well and lasted me through the first deployment as well as all of this current one. I wouldn't recommend taking any of your expensive pipes away from home though; protect your investment. Just bring some good solid smokers, something that could easily be replaced. As Al stated, keep the baccy in tins. It's just easier that way and you won't have so much explaining to do when you go through customs with a bag of unnamed tobacco. Hope this helps and safe travels!

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
I'm not 100% sure on the episode # but I think it's within the first 10 of Brian's podcast where he discusses air travel and pipes. Worth searching for IMO. Have a great trip!

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
I travel with my 2 pipe bag, taking along two pipes. Often I take falcon pipes so I don't need to worry as much about resting them, but for shorter trips any pipes that I want to smoke. I don't travel with what I consider my more expensive pipes in case I lose them or they get broken.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
I would first consider my destination, and then the duration of the trip. Finally I would consider my financial situation.
If I were on my way to Ireland, for example, I'd rather visit Peterson's and stock up on some new pipes and tobacco. On the other hand, if I were traveling where pipes and tobacco were somewhat scarce, I'd bring a couple of pocket pipes a a tin or two of "go to" blends.
If I were really low on cash, I'd get a couple of cheap cobs and some decent OTC and be good to go!

curl

Apr 29, 2014
Well, it's a good thing that I kept my empty tins.

We're flying to Cabo San Lucas in December.

It's going to be hard to decide which tobaccos to take.

I have 27 open tins now (all in jars) and I don't know what I'm going to smoke until open the drawer to load my pipe.

I'm a spontaneous guy.

pipefish

Can't Leave
Aug 25, 2013
When I travel I usually grab a few cobs and maybe one or two "go-to" tobaccos that I know I'll enjoy. If the cobs break--no big deal.
I don't bring much because one of my favorite pastimes when traveling is checking out the local B&Ms to see what they have to offer (either in tins or bulk) and any pipe deals or even estate pipes. Usually I try to strike up a conversation with the clerk and ask him/her to recommend a particular blend popular with the locals of that B&M. If there is a "pipe night" while I'm visiting I try to attend them as well. It's a great way to meet new people and enjoy the hobby at the same time.
I put tobaccos back in their tins (from mason jars) as I don't like to fly with a baggie of unnamed tobacco.
Very smart move--TSA is simply too unpredictable so having tobacco in a tin makes sense.
Enjoy your holiday!!

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I travel with four meerschaums in cases - usually the thick, heavy, industrial ones. Usually I take a foot of rope with me and three packs of Condor per week away. I do the same thing when on campaign at the office as I know I will be there for at least a week. I find most of my stuff fits nicely into a Gladstone bag along with my spare shirt collars etc.

johnscs

Might Stick Around
May 23, 2009
I've never experienced any glitches while traveling with pipe and tobacco within the US. Here's what I carry in a quart-size zipper bag:

+ Three or so garden-variety pipes

+ A labeled pouch or two of tobacco

+ Pipe cleaners

+ Disposable butane lighter

+ Box or two of matches (just in case)

+ Cheap pipe "nail"

All this stuff fits conveniently in the zip-loc bag, which can be packed and unpacked easily in an outer pouch of my carry-on bag (or messenger bag, if I'm traveling w/a laptop). Though I've never had to remove my pipe bag, I like to have it handy for inspection in case I have to go through a bag check. And since you have to pack liquids in a clear, 1-qt. ziploc bag, anyway, this routine is efficient.
I never take my regular pipe lighter with me - just take a disposable, which you can easily replace if you have to give it up or lose it.
I use the same set-up when I travel abroad. I've occasionally had to go through a bag check at European and Asian airports (maybe because of the tobacco or pipe tool - I have no idea). The ziploc pipe bag might get a glance from an inspector, but having everything visible and accessible makes it pretty clear that it's a legit pipe-smoking kit.

natibo

Nov 10, 2013
Cincinnati, OH USA
I travel abroad. If it's 10+ days I bring 4 in my four pipe bag and one in my carry-on. In case my luggage is delayed/lost I would not want to be without.

Status
Not open for further replies.