Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kuroneko

Lurker
Dec 19, 2016
I got this tobacco for the first time this weekend and I couldn't bring myself to smoke anything else since. The smell in the tin is divine, the smoke is cool and lasting, flakes are easy to tear apart but can also be smoked in bigger chunks. And the taste, I don't know how to describe it but it's so good. This is probably the best blend I've ever smoked, perhaps only rivaled by Erinmore flake which I love religiously. Anyone who loves this blend? Or any suggestions similar to this?

beehive

Might Stick Around
Jan 4, 2017
I actually picked up a tin of this last week and was very pleasantly surprised. My B&M usually only has one or two tins of each blend on the shelf but for some reason they had an entire box of tins of the Navy Flake on the shelf collecting dust so I decided to try it, especially since it's something I haven't seen online. It made me wonder how long the tins have been aging on the shelf though. Definitely not like other Navy Flakes that have the traditional splash of rum or some cavendish added.
After finally prying open the impossibly tight seal I was treated to the strongest plum smell ever. It was like someone stuffed a bag full of ripe plums and put it over my head! As far as presentation goes I'd give this a big thumbs up, it even had a shiny golden tobacco leaf sticker holding the paper inside closed, too cool. I found it to smoke really cool and the smoke itself feels dry through the nostrils. Tasted like a nice lemongrass and hay, with a subtle sweetness now and then. I was also surprised by the size of the flakes, one is far too much to fit into either of my current pipes. I'd recommend giving it a try... might even pick up a tin to stash away since there were so many available.

jacks6

Lifer
May 9, 2016
I've actually never heard of this one but I've never met a navy flake I havent liked. Is this available in the usual places? I'll google-fu soon, using my cell phone.

beehive

Might Stick Around
Jan 4, 2017
Seems like most online retailers only have all the other blends Holger Danske does but not the Royal Navy Flake, not sure why.

beehive

Might Stick Around
Jan 4, 2017
Local store had a bunch, I'm in Ontario. I actually did some quick searching for it online just to see what people had to say about it and didn't get much for results. There surely must be a reliable vendor.

kuroneko

Lurker
Dec 19, 2016
I'm currently living in Japan so I can't help on that but it's not a rare blend so I think you can find it online. Also this is the first Navy Flake I've smoked, what makes a flake a "navy flake"? What do they have in common?

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
It was one of the first flakes I tried as my local B+M always has it in stock. If you like it then you'll like PS Luxury Twist and Navy flakes, you'd also probably enjoy St. James flake as well.

mrmotoyoshi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 8, 2014
Motoyoshi, Japan
I cringed when I saw this thread. "Don't tell anyone!" Is what I thought.
But I guess this is a community after all...
This is one of my favorite blends. It's delicious and nobody seems to know about it. The only reason I found out about it is because I used to live in Japan. I've never seen it anywhere in the states and after inquiring to SP.com, they seem to not be able to get this over here.
Ogre recommended some good blends but those have perique in them where RNF does not. If you can find it, Sam Gawith Scottish Autumn Flake is a great straight VA that has some more orange notes that this blend, and MacBaren's HH Pure Virginia is a little less sweet than this blend. I wish you luck my friend, rare as hens teeth this tobacco appears to be.

kuroneko

Lurker
Dec 19, 2016
mrmotoyoshi
It's simply amazing to me how this is not more known. I just found one package dusting in a shop in Shinjuku and it's already finished in a week. I need to stock up on this. Where did you live in Japan by the way?

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
This used to be available in the US. I got tins from Mars and IIRC, SP and/or P&C several years ago. Curiously, the Holger Dansk ad in the P&T Magazine still show this Navy Flake. It is indeed a fine light-medium VA flake. Maybe it is too close in flavor profile to other flakes for the importer to want to bring it in.
hp

les

beehive

Might Stick Around
Jan 4, 2017
Makes me wonder if I should be buying a couple tins of this and the other blends people seem to have a hard time getting from the B&M and use them to trade for blends I can't get myself in Canada haha. First time I browsed P&C I found tons of blends that I'd like to try but then I realized they don't ship here and I haven't found any other retailers for a few of those blends.

Status
Not open for further replies.