PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mau1

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
Ontario, Canada
What would possess someone to drill a hole through a Peterson stem? I'm a bit gob-smacked to think that someone thought this was a good idea. Was it an attempt at achieving a cooler smoke? This Donegal Rocky 87S shows a hole drilled completely through the stem just below the p-lip. It's sacrilege in my opinion and is on the to-do list for repairs. I actually saw another Peterson with a similar drill hole which at first led me to think the drill hole was original to the pipe. Close inspection of my pipe, however, shows chatter from the drill on the p-lip. Has anyone else seen anything similar to this?
Thanks.
peterson-stem-with-hole-600x450.jpg

peterson-stem-hole-600x450.jpg

peterson-stem-hole-2-600x450.jpg

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Looks like a hole so it could be hung on a display.
I've seen people drill holes in otherwise smokable pipes so they can be included in a display. I have a cousin who mounted my late uncle's pipes in a display by drilling into the briar.

mau1

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
Ontario, Canada
Yes, it's pretty odd Crash. Were pipe smokers going thru a phase at one point?
Omg, Ash, that's a crime.
I was pretty disappointed when I saw the hole in the pipe. It came in a lot of 7 used Peterson pipes so at least I had some consolidation from the other pipes.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
That's a fairly radical alteration, I suppose. I'm guessing the owner was trying to improve his smoking experience and not too concerned about the pipe or it's value as a used pipe. Kinda of like modifying one's vehicle or house. I toss pipes in the trash that, I suspect, some here would find abhorrent behavior. The pipe is, in the end, a hunk of wood, a tool for self-gratification. Why would other people care what I do with my pipe?

mau1

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
Ontario, Canada
I thought it was pretty radical as well. Warren, I think you are right and I expect this smoker shared your philosophy.
The original p-lip hole is not plugged. The draw is a bit tight once the drill holes are covered.
So what should he have done to open up the draw, rather than drill that hole?

Jan 8, 2013
anthony: Indeed! Keeping it handy, hanging from the belt. Once again your mind has gone where many other minds fear to tread. :worship:
I frighten even myself, sometimes. 8O
It was probably a Christmas tree ornament. They used a Peterson, because they didn't want to ruin a good pipe. :puffy:
At least it wasn't turned into a mini bonzai tree pot like some Dunhills I've seen..... :mrgreen:
20180317_122707.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.