PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
More and more lately, I have been seeing members and others referring to Pipe Smoking as a Hobby. I smoke a pipe out of addiction for nicotine and habit and not as a Hobby. The reason we smoke a pipe, whether it be nicotine addiction or hobby is justifiable. I hope everyone understands that I am NOT being judgemental. I would like to take a survey of members here on the Forum, to determine the percentage of Hobbiests compared to those who are addicted to tobacco and nicotine. Understanding, that the collection of tobacco and or pipes, does not count. What I am referring to is the consumption of tobacco only. The first 50 responses will be tallied and final results will be calculated out of that number of members.
I shall submit the first response; addicted to nic.

crk69

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2012
Addiction, I also smoke cigars and a homemade electronic box mod cigarette for when I can't smoke a pipe or cigar.. Life is nothing without vices, mine are nicotine and a good scotch or rum..

auspipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2012
Australia
I smoke for enjoyment not out of addiction. Rarely feel a nicotine hit from pipe tobacco, just enjoy sitting back and relaxing for a while and enjoying the experience.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Addiction. I do think pipe smoking brings a little more to the table since I do go out of my way to try new tobacco's and change of pipes to satisfy the addiction. More so than just running into the store to get the packs of my usual nails which for me is the addiction gratifier.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
Hobby for sure. I don't need to smoke a pipe daily, and have no regular schedule. I love it though...

morton

May 3, 2012
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
Tough question. I crave my pipe - is it because of the nicotine or is it because its my time to relax in my smoking room with the computer or a good book? I would never consider cigarettes or chew so if those were my only nicotine delivery systems, I wouldn't have it. So hobbyist, dabbler, pastime, I guess.

juvat270

Aug 1, 2011
Hobby.
I crave the taste, but I never have that physical feeling of needing a smoke. Not like it was when I was a cigarette smoker. Not even close. I can go days and some cases weeks without touching my pipe and I'm fine.

grizzly86

Apr 5, 2012
Honestly I don't know how to answer this; it's a bit of both. I enjoy smoking and do it to relax, but I smoke for the nicotine. On the other hand I never feel the "need" to go smoke like I did when I was smoking nails.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Smoking tobaccos in my pipes is a hobby.
I smoked cigarettes for 4 years in my late teens and early 20's. Then was intensely addicted to smokeless for probably 15 years. After many attempts to quit smokeless I managed to give it up for good about 8 years ago. At my best I was going through a can of Copenhagen every 2 or 3 days so I think I have a fair idea of what addiction is.
The pipe is the only method of tobacco use that I can enjoy that doesn't become a burden and me a slave to it.

I don't freak out if I miss a day or two or more without a smoke. If I am smoking a pipe more frequently I get the urge for the nic hit once in a while but within minutes these mild cravings fade and I think no more about it. If I have an hour at the end of the day to devote to the pipe that is usually all I focus on so that's why I catagorize my pipe smoking as a hobby.

jameral

Nov 29, 2011
San Mateo
Hobby
When I smoked nails I don't recall spending time on the internet creating wish lists of packs of cigs that I wanted to buy/try, but boy is that all I do now with pipes and baccy. :D

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I don't smoke for the nicotine, have never smoked but a handful of cigarettes or even bought a pack for myself. Cigars/Pipes are an interest and a way for me to relax..I do however enjoy the "hobby" aspect as well.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I would have to say hobby. I have never smoked cigs, and can skip a day or two with no problem. I also avoid the high nic blends - I may like the taste, like Peterson's Irish Flake, but I do not like the high nic levels.

lankfordjl

Sep 29, 2011
Texas
Tobacco is a hobby for me. Sometimes I go weeks without smoking. In the summer I don't desire it as much as in the winter. I love the craftsmanship of pipes for years, and therefore enjoy collecting and trading pipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.