Tags:  No tags yet. 

Hobbies

(67 posts)
  • Started 6 months ago by mechanic
  • Latest reply from milehighpiper
  1. mechanic

mechanic

Login to Send PM

I recently saw some videos of people flying fpv drones and after some research i ordered me a frame and am working on getting the other components. It involves lot of soldering and various other things to complete and from what i have seen with my enjoyment of mechanical and electrical workings should be a pretty fulfilling hobby. Was wondering what others like to do in your spare time.

"I'm a kind person, I'm kind to everyone, but if you are unkind to me, then kindness is not what you will remember me for." - Al Capone
    Posted 6 months ago #
  2. raevans

raevans

Login to Send PM

Hunt and fish, yep, that's pretty much consumes the majority of my spare time.

Posted 6 months ago #
  3. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You mean besides pipe smoking? Mostly reading, and playing computer games at the end of the day.

Not the sweet, new grass with flowers is this harvesting of mine;
    Not the upland clover bloom...
    Posted 6 months ago #
  4. mechanic

mechanic

Login to Send PM

Yes besides pipe smoking

Posted 6 months ago #
  5. lawdawg

lawdawg

Login to Send PM

Almost of all of my hobbies involve the outdoors, mainly fishing, vegetable gardening, canoeing (river float trips in the summer w/ friends and a cooler of beer = heaven), and other hobbies which are more chore-like but I enjoy such as cutting and splitting firewood, maintaining my landscaping, and maintaining my tools and equipment.

Posted 6 months ago #
  6. haparnold

Hap

Login to Send PM

Much like lawdawg, I'm an outdoors kind of guy. Summers are usually spent on long-distance backpacking trips and rock climbing. Cooler months, I climb indoors and do lots of trail running.

Other than that, I read a lot, and I'm really into cooking.

De Gustibus Non Est Disputandum
    Posted 6 months ago #
  7. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I shoot and I read.

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 6 months ago #
  8. autumnfog

autumnfog

Login to Send PM

Mostly reading but also movies, food and nature.

Posted 6 months ago #
  9. spartacus

spartacus

Login to Send PM

Mountain Bike, Hunting, Woodshop.

Posted 6 months ago #
  10. mechanic

mechanic

Login to Send PM

Thats another thing that drew me to the fpv drones i love the outdoors and the views you can see with these things are amazing. I also enjoy shooting built a couple ars last year ammo gets expensive reloading is another hobby i plan to start got my lee press gonna get me a bench set up in the spring hopefully.

Posted 6 months ago #
  11. litup

litup

Login to Send PM

I have too many hobbies and not enough time. I'm a fan of the Battlefield series of games and spend way too much time playing them. I like to play softball. I love reading (and I belong to bar-sponsored book club). I like working in my yard. I collect things like baseball cards, Japanese maples, and tobacco tins. I am a big fantasy football and baseball guy. I dabble in photography. And then there's all the pipe stuff.

I wish I also had time for more of the outdoor stuff others have mentioned doing. That would be good for my health and my soul I think.

Posted 6 months ago #
  12. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

Parenting, painting, drawing, gardening, reading, knitting, pets, and RC helicopters.

https://youtu.be/cBmFY4Vx458

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 6 months ago #
  13. shanez

shanez

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm a co-owner of a couple of businesses. What the heck is this "free time" you're talking about.

Actually, I brew my own beer and I like to go hiking/camping/fishing/etc.

When I get real vacation my wife and I usually go visit her family in Mexico where I partake in the fine art of goofing off and punishing my liver...

Posted 6 months ago #
  14. tschiraldi

tschiraldi

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I work out 5 days a week, play the guitar, practice martial arts (Kenpo), ride a Harley, make wine and Limoncello, kayaking lakes and rivers, and read 30-40 books a year.

Tim

Posted 6 months ago #
  15. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

This takes a good bit of my time and attention. I also enjoy yardwork, landscaping, we love to be outside.

Al

Posted 6 months ago #
  16. lifesizehobbit

lifesizehobbit

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hot rodding, photography, reading and listening to music.

Dave "Black Frigate Stowaway"
    Posted 6 months ago #
  17. philobeddoe

Philo Beddoe

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I enjoy copious reading, fly tying, fly fishing and Legos.

"So it goes." - K.V.
    Posted 6 months ago #
  18. wyfbane

wyfbane

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You mean besides pipe smoking? Mostly reading, and playing computer games at the end of the day.

+1

I also go RV'ing, and if I ever have free money, I have a Harley to fix and a 1950 Plymouth to get running.

RV:

Harley:

Plymouth:

Projects abound, free time doesn't, as you can see the shed behind the Plymouth. That was my big accomplishment last year.

Posted 6 months ago #
  19. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Photography, fly fishing, kayaking, yoga, recovery self work, and pipe smoking with a rare cigar still in the mix.

Neal
    Posted 6 months ago #
  20. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hobbies? Is playing bridge and golf a hobby? Anyway, lots of time for both. Plus dominoes, coffee klatsching, travel, movies and TV series. Forum posting.

I am not sure I have any real hobbies as I see them. (to me smoking pipes isn't a hobby).

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 6 months ago #
  21. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Parenting, painting, drawing, gardening, reading, knitting, pets, and RC helicopters

Duane you know as well as I do that's a full time job not a hobby

As for me, its hard for me to get the baking out of my veins. I'd love to do some more outdoor things this summer with the family too, like hiking and maybe even some camping.

Al, are those late model Mini rims? It sets the car off nicely.

Posted 6 months ago #
  22. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

Duane you know as well as I do that's a full time job not a hobby

That's why you make it fun!

Posted 6 months ago #
  23. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

When I was in high school, I had a short wave radio, movie and still cameras (single lens reflex twin lens reflex and smaller range finder), did some sketching, and published some poems and stories, and was a political news junkie. My dad said he thought I should narrow my focus to an interest or two, but in one way or another, I used all of my interests and others to earn a living at some point in my career. So hobbies sometimes earn their keep. Just to notice that point. Something that was not a particular hobby was introduced to me through biology courses in high school and college, including one on vertebrate physiology that had a lot of pre-med people enrolled, though I was by no means headed to medical school. My longest career tenure was in an institute that did biomedical research, so there you go. The suspected and unsuspected turns in life.

Posted 6 months ago #
  24. scloyd

scloyd

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I enjoy copious reading, fly tying, fly fishing and Legos.

Legos...me too. Along with hiking, camping and bicycling (road). I like to build WWII vehicles. These are Battle of the Bulge vehicles all made with authentic/real Legos.

Posted 6 months ago #
  25. greatdane

greatdane

Login to Send PM

Flyfishing in the summer, cross-country skiing in the winter; reading, shooting, retro gaming on my C64 or enjoying my w108 Benz.

Posted 6 months ago #
  26. bradical

bradical

Login to Send PM

I play chess.

Don't go chasing waterfalls.
    Posted 6 months ago #
  27. buster

buster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Gardening, bass fishing(fly&conventional) fly fishing small stream(California side of the Sierras) parenting takes up most of my time. Kids are in 4-H so chickens, turkeys and rabbits are in the mix. I use to be into traditional archery quite a bit befor kids. Use to fish more before kids also.

Think slow, act fast.
    Posted 5 months ago #
  28. mechanic

mechanic

Login to Send PM

I think i have all the parts ordered so far for the batman build. I have played chess in the past. Fly fishing have never done.

Posted 5 months ago #
  29. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Reading, fountain pens!!!!!!!!, woodworking, and listening to sci-fi audiobooks

Posted 5 months ago #
  30. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I used to have hobbies, but I kept turning them into vocations.

Posted 5 months ago #
  31. madox07

madox07

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I like to read, hunt and cook. I also swim on a regular basis, but I guess that started out of need (lower back problems) and turned into a hobby.

Sea Wolf Pipers

"Like the mariners of old, a loner is acceptable but a pipe is best enjoyed in a pack"
    Posted 5 months ago #
  32. artificialme

artificialme

Login to Send PM

I like to strutting around in my home while singing, naked. Oh sorry, in my undies.

Except that, I like to read fantasy themed books, doing simple Do-It-Yourself Projects, and sightseeing.

Adhie was here
    Posted 5 months ago #
  33. seldom

seldom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Outdoor stuff, although much of it overlaps with my work as wildlife biologist. In my younger days I'd head off on long backpacking trips of a month or so duration. However, much of my work has been in very remote locations that necessitates backpacking/bushplanes and etc. I'm a birdwatcher, although I also do research on birds and other animals. Wildlife photography but that is sort of cheating because I most often photograph my study animals. I'm thinking of taking back up flyfishing now that I have two sons. For many years from a young age I was an avid fisherman but fell out of it.
    At this point with two very young sons (right now is nap time) most of hobbies are on hiatus. I'm also temporarily expatriated to Europe from America.

Seldom Seen
    Posted 5 months ago #
  34. carolinachurchwarden

carolinachurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I like to make things. I enjoy buying a nice wood and bringing it home to destroy only to use the destroyed pieces to build something new. I love woodworking and working with hand tools. Hopefully, when I get my new house and have more workshop space, I will build my own woodworking table. I really enjoy finding a beautiful example of something cool then reverse engineering it to figure out how to make it.

It got so hot here in the summer that I also taught myself how to knit. I love being in the garage and working with wood, but when gets so hot that your shoes burn your feet when in the sun, it's time to move indoors, but I needed something to do, so I learned to knit. So far I have knitted 2 hats, 2 scarves, a set of wrist warmers, a cowl and I'm working on my cable stitching for another hat that I'm about halfway through with.

I would absolutely love to learn how to fly fish, but it also looks like it could be a rather expensive hobby.

"If you can't send money, send tobacco." - George Washington

Posted 5 months ago #
  35. tavol

tavol

Login to Send PM

I love cooking and enjoy foraging for food.

My main hobby is fishing in fact I go so far as to say it's an obsession rather than a hobby. I particularly enjoy river fishing and fish for every species using as many different styles and techniques of fishing possible. I also enjoy modifying, restoring and making my own fishing tackle from rods to lures and flies.

Posted 5 months ago #
  36. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yeh, what others see as hobbies, I have become dependent on... Metalworking, lapidary, gardening, hunting, fishing, farming... but I also work as a high school debate team coach, which is sort of hobbyish. I also canoe and ride and restore vintage bikes, mt bikes, road bikes, and I enjoy riding Rails to Trails when I can get away for a few days. I play the ukulele, banjo, guitar, and I paint from time to time. I also write for my wife's hobby as a stand up comedian. It's something that we both enjoy. I enjoy coaching her public speaking, and she enjoys the attention. But, it is just for fun.

And, I am probably skipping a bunch of stuff. We stay busy.

Michael
    Posted 5 months ago #
  37. trouttimes

trouttimes

Login to Send PM

Fly fishing, shooting, working my horses and cows

“The Road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began.
    Now far ahead the Road has gone, I must follow if I can
    Posted 5 months ago #
  38. rdavid

Panhandler

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My Harley, scale model ships, R/C airplanes, hunting, fishing, large caliber firearms.

"May my last breath be drawn through a pipe, and exhaled in a jest." Charles Lamb
    Posted 5 months ago #
  39. mawnansmiff

mawnansmiff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

For me it's mineral collecting and micromounting said minerals which of course requires a decent microscope. I use a Meiji and a Leica/Wild.

I also collect pocket watches, particularly American Railroad Grade watches of which I have many with several sat on my desk in front of me on mini stands ticking away.

It's amazing that these mini mechanical marvels are able to keep almost quartz accuracy despite most being over 100 years old!

I also read a lot of non fiction.

Regards,

Jay.

...take up thy stethoscope and walk...
    Posted 5 months ago #
  40. saltedplug

saltedplug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

ssjones, you've always got a great ride going. Classic car. My brother owned one just like it, and after bugging him a good bit, he let me drive it, whereupon I picked up a friend and tried to crash it. I was 19, what can I say?

Most of my time I avocate rather than do hobbies, AA, poetry, meditation, reading.

Posted 5 months ago #
  41. lawdawg

lawdawg

Login to Send PM

Lots of fly fishermen among the pipe smoking crowd, it seems. Pipe smoking, like fly fishing, is a bit of an art and has a steeper learning curve than other forms of the activity (spinner rods, cigars etc). Both provide a relaxing and potentially contemplative experience. I can see the reason for the overlap.

Posted 5 months ago #
  42. trouttimes

trouttimes

Login to Send PM

Lawdog, could it be flyfishermen are just more advanced than your average human and pipe smoking is not for trolls? It seems to this old redneck cowboy that many of the hobbies listed lean toward more of the thinking man/women ( must be PC) and it follows we would be pipe smokers.

Posted 5 months ago #
  43. pipehunter

pipehunter

Login to Send PM

It's funny, if I had to pick pipe smoking to overlap with one activity, I would have said fly fishing. Probably based on the contemplative and to a degree ritualistic nature of both. That's just based on my experience in New England, not sure about everywhere else. But among fly fisherman was the only time that smelling someone's pipe smoke didn't come as a surprise, albeit a pleasant one.

For my own hobbies, it used to be reading, hiking, gardening (in a broader sense...maybe landscaping?), shooting, fishing, cooking, in rough order of time spent. It seems like I used to have a lot of time on my hands, even rebuilt old high-power microscopes for a while with the intent of getting into microphotography but never really did the latter.

Now that I live in the near tropics (and have small kids), it's more reading and fishing and staying out of the humidity. Years ago, I was a mean bridge player. @jpmcwjr 's post reminded me of that...might be a good way to beat the heat.

Posted 5 months ago #
  44. blackadderlxx

blackadderlxx

Login to Send PM

I enjoy building things, especially out of wood. Right now I'm building a platform bed with my son for his room. Next phase is to build a desk below the bed. I also enjoy music, I've been playing guitar for 30 years, although that's probably more profession than hobby. I occasionally play video games, although lately not as much as I don't really enjoy the fusion of politics into entertainment as we have seen over the past few years, so I find myself less and less interested in games and movies.

Posted 5 months ago #
  45. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Far too many. We raise our own meat animals and I butcher them, plus I hunt. Starting to try growing tobacco and tea on top of food. I make pipes. I paint watercolour and sumi-e. I cook all of our food from scratch, BBQ, Japanese, Mexican, Indian, English, Polish, and more. I fight in custom 15th century plate armor, non choreographed real fights. I read, a lot. I am in a band. I'll just stop there.

Posted 5 months ago #
  46. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I fight in custom 15th century plate armor, non choreographed real fights.

You had me at hello.

Posted 5 months ago #
  47. seldom

seldom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Lots of fly fishermen among the pipe smoking crowd, it seems.

Well what are you going to do with those empty tins? They make for pretty good fly/nymph boxes without much extra work.

Posted 5 months ago #
  48. lawdawg

lawdawg

Login to Send PM

Lawdog, could it be flyfishermen are just more advanced than your average human and pipe smoking is not for trolls? It seems to this old redneck cowboy that many of the hobbies listed lean toward more of the thinking man/women ( must be PC) and it follows we would be pipe smokers.

Definitely agreed about the hobbies mentioned in this thread leaning toward the thinking man.

It's funny, if I had to pick pipe smoking to overlap with one activity, I would have said fly fishing. Probably based on the contemplative and to a degree ritualistic nature of both.

Also agreed.

Now where's the fly fisherman emoji?

I don't really enjoy the fusion of politics into entertainment as we have seen over the past few years, so I find myself less and less interested in games and movies.

+1,000! I follow and care about political issues, but I don't want it jammed into my entertainment / recreation time as it has been lately

Posted 5 months ago #
  49. 3rdguy

3rdguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Coin collecting, concert posters, equities and helping the wife with her dog training business. She makes most of the bank so I probably should not consider it my hobby

Posted 5 months ago #
  50. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

When I have a craving for Dolly Varden, or other fresh trout ... I fish. My photography seems to have become so damned all consuming that I have no time for woodworking any longer. I miss the smell of sawdust. I still a voracious reader so as to continue learning ... maybe that's a hobby ... learning.

A man without a shillelagh is a man without an expedient.
    Posted 5 months ago #
  51. User has not uploaded an avatar

jeff540

Login to Send PM

Used to fly fish way more than I do now, but I still have all the gear in the garage somewhere.

Guitar and cooking are the biggest two, done both for 30+ years. Played in several cover and original bands for fun and side money, electric and acoustic mostly rock and blues. Also did orchestra and some classical on occasion. I keep getting pulled into the jazz direction lately, maybe it's age.

Tube-based electronics, an interest I inherited from my dad. Built a few guitar amps, modified a bunch for myself and friends. I have a few tube stereo gear pieces to rehab soon.

Outdoor activities, while enjoyable, never cease when you own a home and prefer to heat with wood as much as possible. I've planted fruit trees and tried ever so hard at raised bed gardens. I love fresh home grown veggies, but unfortunately, since I can't even keep a cactus alive in my house, tomatoes and such don't have a snowball's chance in hell.

Posted 5 months ago #
  52. nitemair13

nitemair13

Login to Send PM

I read a lot, write stories (Well that started as a hobby and kinda exploded), I enjoy collecting certain things mostly Vinyl records and playing video games with a group of friends whom I've never met in person but are closer to those that I have.

“A pipe is the fountain of contemplation, the source of pleasure, the companion of the wise; and the man who smokes, thinks like a philosopher and acts like a Samaritan.”
    -Edward George Bulwer-Lytton
    Posted 5 months ago #
  53. User has not uploaded an avatar

instymp

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Fishing, handguns, cooking, boating & photography.
    Aren't most things cyclical?
    God gave man a branch to fish with, then a fly-rod, then a bait caster then a spinning then a fly-rod.

Posted 5 months ago #
  54. User has not uploaded an avatar

hoppes

Login to Send PM

Retired. Keeping up the house and yard. Restoring pipes. Singing in choral group. Enjoying grand kids. Trying to keep up with all you people on this site----and oh yea, build and fly these:

Seems like the activities always fill the days ! Hoppes

Posted 5 months ago #
  55. mechanic

mechanic

Login to Send PM

56. mechanic

mechanic

Login to Send PM

New fpv drone frame still waiting on electronics from china takes a while i guess

Posted 5 months ago #
  57. User has not uploaded an avatar

instymp

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hoppes....Bless you and stay safe. Very cool.

Posted 5 months ago #
  58. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Flickr gives me a 404.

Posted 5 months ago #
  59. scloyd

scloyd

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@hoppes - that's what I call a hobby. Pretty cool.

Posted 5 months ago #
  60. mechanic

mechanic

Login to Send PM

That was my first attempt at photo post maybe flickr dont work

Posted 5 months ago #
  61. montypiper

montypiper

Login to Send PM

My old aluminum runabout, '59 Feather Craft, '60 Mercury:

Posted 5 months ago #
  62. trudger

trudger

Login to Send PM

Hey Montypiper I have a ‘54 Feathercraft Penguin! Your boats a stunner! Polishing aluminum is not an easy task! Right now I’m down to about 6 classic outboards. Johnson TN5, Mercury KG-7 Hurricane, Mercury KF-7 Super 10, etc. My 11’ Penguin is all holy hell with that Hurricane strapped on with no neutral!

Another fly fisherman and fly tyer, shooting sports, bird hunt, reloader, camper, Coleman lantern and stove collecter, reader. Kids are older so I keep real busy regardless of what Mrs. Trudger says. Was a Scout leader for years also and miss teaching outdoor and life skills.

Posted 5 months ago #
  63. montypiper

montypiper

Login to Send PM

Cool, another Feather Craft owner!
    I polished this one by hand.. yeah, took a while. lol. It's still a work in progresss.

Posted 5 months ago #
  64. User has not uploaded an avatar

piper64

Login to Send PM

I buy and sell vinyl records so restoration of sleeves and records would be my main hobby.

Faugh a Ballagh
    Posted 5 months ago #
  65. davet

davet

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

mineral collecting and micromounting said minerals which of course requires a decent microscope

Jay, what is micromounting? Would that be the same as a "thin section" or is it larger pieces?

Posted 5 months ago #
  66. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Unfortunately my means do not allow much more but pipes and cars,opposite to todays, there were way more hobbies'in my life ,guns and various wrist and pocket watches and antique wall clocks,horseback riding and all that stuff.

Paul The Scandinavian'
    Posted 5 months ago #
  67. milehighpiper

milehighpiper

Login to Send PM

Shooting, dog training, video games, cycling and reading are my hobbies! I dabble a bit in bike repair/maintenance, but not tech savvy enough to build a drone.

Posted 5 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   danish, kenbarnes, jaytex969, lukasstrifeson, jiminks, alaskanpiper