PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

radio807

Can't Leave
Nov 26, 2011
New Jersey
My wife and I had the pleasure of spending last week in Florence Italy to attend the ordination of a friend's son to the priesthood. While there I dropped by Castellana's shop near the Duomo. Mr. Castellana is a very pleasant fellow who truly loves pipes, and was a pleasure to meet and deal with him. I highly recommend paying him a visit if you find yourself in town. I left the shop with a Castello Vergin that I fell in love with at first sight, and after having run only four bowls of tobacco through it I can tell that I'm going to bond very nicely with my new pipe. Forgive the crummy photo, but I took it with my phone after downing two full glasses of Tuscan wine in the private mini-garden outside our room on the outskirts of the city.

castello-vergin-firenze-sm-600x450.jpg

codecreatively

Can't Leave
Sep 17, 2014
Already showing a bit of patina! Very nice pipe, it's like a hawkbill without so much of a pronounced bend.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Perfetto! I love buying a pipe where it's made, and meeting the maker- or at least a salesman from the company. Congrats and happy smoking.

lohengrin

Lifer
Jun 16, 2015
Nice pipe.

I'm glad you enjoyed some days in Florence.

Not too many good pipe sellers here in Florence and Castellana is one of my preferred ones.

We have more choice with wine and I can see you appreciated it!

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
I wish I was there! From the picture your pipe looks like the stretched, what call the French version of Castello shape 84. If you want the pipe to color evenly I would recommend you treat a NV like I would a meer and not touch them hot. Even with clean hands the oils will give the sides dark, grubby looking patches that I've found don't come off.

That shop looks great I've heard so many stories from collectors who traveled around Italy including the collector who I posted about Sunday. They all report about the small pipe shops, some that you'd never know where there with the trays of high grade Castello's in the back. 8O

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Congrats on your new pipe, that is a really nice shape. I used to be a huge fan of Castello pipes but no longer due to their acrylic stems( I still own an Occio di Pernice but don't smoke it all that often). I was just in Florence a couple of weeks ago and did stop by the shop you mentioned. The owner was busy with someone so I just looked around and left. I did not go back as everything in his shop looked to be of Italian mfg which means acrylic stems.

radio807

Can't Leave
Nov 26, 2011
New Jersey
Thank you all for your positive comments.
code: The pipe came with a bit of patina. I'm looking forward to seeing it develop.
lohengrin: I wish I had more time to spend in Italy. It was my first trip to the land of my grandparents, and I will surely return. Castellana's was smaller than I expected, but his selection of pipes suited me just fine. I stumbled into another shop that sold mostly Savinelli pipes, but I don't recall the name of the place. The pipes he carried were much larger than I prefer. Nice place, though.
Dave: Thank you for the tips on how to treat a NV pipe, but to be honest I don't generally take that level of care with the external appearance. Sacrilege, I know. I have a meer that looks like it was dragged behind a truck, but I keep it clean on in the inside and I take good care of the chamber, but otherwise I don't care much how it looks. The Castello, being briar, will hold up much better but it will receive no special treatment. BTW, I had to ask to see the Castello pipes, and as you said the guy went into the back and came back out with two trays of them. The pipe is smaller than the photo makes it appear, only 5.25" end to end. It's a kkkk and the stamped number is C33.
Harris: I'm with you on a general preference for Vulcanite stems, but I can tolerate acrylic without too much trouble. It's a trade-off between the nicer feel of Vulcanite and the need to keep them free of oxidation.

Status
Not open for further replies.