PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

werdna

Can't Leave
Jun 6, 2013
I was just perusing Pipes and Cigars, and 4noggins for my next TAD order, much of what I want is on BO. Not a major problem now, I can order other blends in tins/bulk. But I really wanted to cellar a couple favorites, and I'll have to wait. I'm not saying which blends, cause I don't want to start a stampede.
What say you, does this happen often? Is it seasonal?

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
P&C has been having major issues since they were bought out by Cigars International and so far I do not see any end in sight. They have been out of stock on half a dozen of my favorites for months now and honestly I thought they would have gotten their act together by now.
4noggins seems to be much better at re stocking depending on availability from their distributors. Most of the supply issues have to do with the European mfgs inability to produce enough supply especially in comparison to their American counterparts. The highest percentage of blends that are having supply issues are the flakes. I think there has been a large shift of people who are trying them and finding they enjoy them. As early as last summer there were no supply issues on all but a few flakes. I believe that forums such as this are the main reason there are these issues, we start talking about certain blends and then there is a run on them. If the European mfgs bothered to read these forums, they would recognize the incredible opportunity they have to sell considerably more than they are currently selling. When prices do increase and sales go down, they will wish they had been a little smarter.

werdna

Can't Leave
Jun 6, 2013
Thanks cigmaster, and roth, for your explanations. I thought hoarding might be part of the problem, but I didn't consider the manufactures' lack of keeping enough supply. I am not a hoarder, but I did want to start aging some blends that improve over time. I'll just have to check back with the suppliers to see when stock does arrive.
I might send off a quick email to Rich at 4noggins to see when they might come in. I've not ordered from P&C yet, and it looks like I won't bother, unless things change.
If things get real bad, there's always Mixture 79. :lol:
Thanks again.

supdog

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2012
the other blends that are out of stock or on back orders are due to hoarding, so a few puffers buying 25 tins of a blend depletes stock quite quickly. I've been trying to find a couple blends myself for months -- Wessex Brigade Campaign Dark comes to mind.
Don't talk about Harris like he isn't here. I think it also has to do with the impending internet sales legislation that is bound to happen sooner than later.

lincolnsbark

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2013
I have only been on this forum since April but I have already seen conversations on here result in runs on capstan, fm cellar, and Peterson specials. I also believe the conversations about Edward g robinsons blend gave greatly increased that blends availability and interest. I wonder how much the sales have to do with quality or the natural interests this forum tickles. Either way long live pipesmagazineforum's power.

werdna

Can't Leave
Jun 6, 2013
@lincolnsbark, FM Cellar is one of the blends I was reffering to in my original post. Out of stock at 4noggins, can't remember if the same at P&C. I agree with you completely, one post here, and everyone takes note. My daughter is in marketing, and we dis uss this sort of thing all the time. Word of mouth is the least expensinve, and most efficient advertising. Gotta laugh at it all.

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
If you are looking to cellar some blends or flake try buying stuff that isn't being pumped up on the forums. It's amazing how many people are buying 5 or 10 pounds of each blend once they become popular or amped up on the forums. In a matter of hours the retailers are cleaned out. Its entertaining to read the posts and watch as the scrambling begins!!! LOL. There are sooo many great tobaccos out there that are still available. One example of a hard to obtain tobacco is Stonehaven. Because of the small production runs and hyped up posts on forums it gets cleaned out as soon as it hits the shelves, and there are many similar blends that can be had for less money and are equally great tobaccos. At least that's my opinion.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
and remember a lot chunk of the European workforce goes on holiday for a month in the summer.. contrary to people in the states taking a Friday or Monday off and feeling guilty about it.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
and then this might be another reason..
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/sg-fvf-in-stock

werdna

Can't Leave
Jun 6, 2013
One way to boost sales of any product is to invent an apocolypse, or a rumor of a shortage. See it all the time.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
I just scanned this thread and didn't read it. Mixture 79 has been discontinued??!! WHAAAAT?
(Rubs hands with an evil grin)

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I was able to find a ton of great tobacco at P & C. There prices were such that it was easy to bypass the backordered stuff and get great deals on nice tobacco.
I would order from them again.
Just sayin'.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Seems like when I order, they say on the web site if things are in stock. I've never ordered something and

found out belatedly that it is on back order. Recently this happened with a wedding gift, but that's a

different story. If I ran into this, I believe I'd call in my order in the future to that particular retailer, to

be sure they had what I wanted in stock. If they want to email or phone later and give me the option of

ordering, that would be okay.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
roth, hell yes I loaded up when the getting was good and now as you say I am pretty much all done. But my loading up is not the reason that the Wessex BCDF has not been in stock in over 3 months. Wessex is not producing any for some reason. It has been out of stock at every retailer I look at not just the three big boys who are sponsors here. Yes it may be my fault that there are so many people looking for it as before I started talking about it last summer, no one knew about this one. Why is it that Peterson has no trouble keeping their flakes in stock or Mac Baren. I have ordered tons of that stuff and they are never out and if they are it is re supplied very quickly. I don't think the hoarders as we are called are the problem, it is the mfgs who are short sighted and lousy business people are the problem. I have more Solani stuff in stock than Wessex and they are never out. I bought over 14 pounds worth of Silver Flake and I always see it in stock at a multitude of retailers, and us hoarders have been all over that one for a while.
When people ask what my favorites are I answer them, when people start threads on your favorites I post. Yes I could have kept the info to myself and never said a word, but I feel that we are a community and when I find a great tasting blend, it is my obligation to share that info with everyone here. Now of course everyone's tastes are so different there is no way for me to know which ones I like are liked by anyone else. I found a few of my favorites on this site because people were talking about them, they were generous with their information so I feel I should be the same way.
When the Capstan Blue came out, should I have said nothing and not told everyone that I loved it? I don't think I would be a good member here if I did that.

Status
Not open for further replies.