H.L. Savory & Co. Ltd. Pipes as Smokers?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

120 Fresh Peterson Pipes
6 Fresh Castello Pipes
36 Fresh Estate Pipes
1 Fresh Clarin Clay Pipe
12 Fresh Moonshine Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
Thanks to a mention of the late H.L. Savory & Co. Ltd. in the book "Rare Smoke - The Ultimate Guide to Pipe Collecting" by Richard Carleton Hacker, I became enamored of this brand's pipes. So enamored, in fact, that yesterday I purchased the estate Argylle Group 6 bent pot briar shown in the image below.
I know that Dunhill purchased Savory, and that the pipes were manufactured in their Parker-Hardcastle factory. What I do not know is how are they as smokers? If you have one and are willing share your experiences I would appreciate it.
HunterTRW
$_57.JPG

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
hunter, I have a Savory's Semi-Matte billiard that I bought many years ago. It is a very fine pipe and remains in my weekly rotation. I think you'll find them to be very worthy companions.

Frankly, I was unaware of their connection to Dunhill. I bought the pipe because it appealed to me and it has performed well.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
papipeguy:
According to Jose Manuel Lopes in his book titled "Pipes - Artisans and Trademarks," the Savory brand dates to 1885, but I do not know when Dunhill purchased their business. Mr. Hacker's book shows a beautiful black-and-white image of the Savory shop's London store window complete with 60-odd pipes plus accoutrements on display.

Reactions: Pipe Daddy

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
tbradsim1:
Thank-you for the affirmation. Mine is due to arrive this week, and I am eager to give it a go. The bowl is somewhat larger than I normally like, but I am a sucker for its Shell-type finish and color. Further, I've been looking for bents to add to my collection so I just couldn't resist this one.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
Dunhill bought Savory in 1932; the 1885 foundation date was later claimed by the company but I suspect it's exaggerated.

forest7

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2014
Savory's pipes!

1. Curzon --- best grade

2. Robin hood --- better grade

3. Argyll --- good grade

4. Ludlow --- good grade

Am I right? BTW I want know what else line Savory's has it. They are really great smoker.

forest7

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2014
Forgot to add two more lines.

Savory's

5. Semi-Matte --- better grade

6. Oxford(Oxford city) --- good grade

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Time to resurrect this thread because I'm not sure what I have.

Made an antique shop find for $25 today. At first I thought it was a Stanwell because of the Crown over the letter S on the stem. Then I saw "Made in London" over England so I knew it wasn't a Stanwell. (At least, I've never heard of a Stanwell being made in England.) I'm guessing that this is a Savory of some kind. The only other marking is the shape code 283 though.
What do you guys think?

RTy3oep.jpg

NNaCMHl.jpg

uP5EzWi.jpg

wz4IXwv.jpg

It was smoked hard, but looks like it will clean up nicely.

5Y7u6BT.jpg

Reactions: whsergent

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
Looks like an awesome pipe, Pappymac! Four of my five Savory's pipes all have an S on the stem that looks like this:
sav-logo-450x600.jpg

The fifth has a white dot some knucklehead drilled in over the S (you can still see the top of it poking out) for some stupid reason. They're all stamped "Savory's" and "Made in London, England" plus the name of the line (Argyll, Semi-Matte, etc.) on the shank or bottom. Who knows, though - maybe they had more than one stem logo. I plan to post full pictures of my Savory's to this thread when I finish restoring them - there's not a whole lot of info available on them. Terrible pipes, just Godawful smokers. I have no idea why I keep buying them and recommend that everyone steer well clear of them.

thedudeabides

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 6, 2013
The shape matches a Savory’s sitting poker I was able to find with a quick Google search, but that certainly appears to be a replacement stem borrowed from a Stanwell.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Hey, Dude!
That was my thought when I first saw the pipe. I thought I was holding a Stanwell and then I saw the Made in London England stamp. What I found when I looked it up on pipephil.eu was that the Savory Argyll did indeed have a Crown over S similar to Stanwell, but it was different. The Stanwell crown has a solid outline where this one is straight lines with a small circle on top coming up from the base.

eSZOy1c.png

Status
Not open for further replies.