Status
Not open for further replies.

Crawley1066

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 14, 2014
United Kingdom
www.jpcleather.com
Hiya all,
I've just started smoking the pipe after a few years of cigarette smoking and I'm really enjoying it! It's been made a lot easier with the help of this forum. I bought a new pipe off of ebay but I honestly don't know that much about it. I chose it because I admire the shape and style of it but would be interested to know more about it (who made it, when - ish - it was made, whether it's known to be a good smoker etc). It's coming through the post on Friday, so I'll let you know what I think of it when I get it but I was just wondering if anyone's got any pearls of wisdom that they feel like letting a new pipe smoker in on in relation to this one.
Many thanks all.
Link should work here: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1ZDQcvko0AFQURmdnI4U2ZiaU0/edit?usp=docslist_api

Crawley1066

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 14, 2014
United Kingdom
www.jpcleather.com
Download-File

Crawley1066

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 14, 2014
United Kingdom
www.jpcleather.com
Thanks for the reply. I've tried googling it but all I can get from a search is just that its a machine made pipe made in Italy which sounds about right for what I paid for it. Was just wondering if anyone's got any experience with the make? :)
Thanks again,

Jason

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Welcome to the forums! I don't have much to add on the 5 W's on the pipe, but I will say it is in fine condition!
Hope she smokes well for you.
~Mike

Crawley1066

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 14, 2014
United Kingdom
www.jpcleather.com
Thanks for the welcome, I'm enjoying the learning curve. :)
It did look as though someone has looked after it which was largely the reason for my buying it. I'm still experimenting with my pipes and tobaccos but from what I've been reading on these forums, who isn't? :')
I'll be sure to let you know how it goes! While I'm here, I don't suppose either of you (or anyone else) has much experience with petersons? Specifically, about the Donegal rocky 14S. Its an old one with the sterling band as opposed to nickel. I was given it by a friend for what works out around $15 US... Sound right? I haven't been able to find much on the older ones on Google. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough.. :L
Cheers,

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Petersons are a major brand and you'll read and see a lot about them on Forums, and except for occasional

quality control issues, most of us like our Petersons. Silvano is a somewhat obscure brand of Italian pipe.

The best known Italian brand is Savenelli, which is a favorite of many, but not all, Forums members. I will

mention that I was given a lesser known Italian machine pipe, a Giani, and it is a perfect little bent billiard,

that takes a pipe cleaner to the bowl as many bent pipes don't, and though it has a high gloss finish, it

breathes nicely and has a large bowl capacity for its overall size, and it is nice light weight for clenching (holding

in my mouth). So less famous pipe brands sometimes turn out to be treasures.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
welcome to the forum, Jason. I'd say that you're off to a fine start with those 2 pipes. The Italians do a fine job so you're in good shape with that one. The Peterson is also a fine pipe and they are classic shapes. Enjoy them and check in often. there's a lot of knowledge here to be gleaned. Happy Smoke Rings.

Crawley1066

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 14, 2014
United Kingdom
www.jpcleather.com
Thanks everyone for all the info. I'll be cleaning the peterson today and hopefully getting the Silvano through the post tomorrow. I'll be sure to keep up on here as there is a hell of a lot to be taken from the forums; I'll let you know how it smokes. :) If it weren't for the debates going off elsewhere, I would've probably done a pretty bad job with cleaning up so it's proving useful being on here, not to mention everyone's helpful and happy which is such a great attribute for a forum to have.
Thanks all again,

Jason.

Crawley1066

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 14, 2014
United Kingdom
www.jpcleather.com
Yeah, have to agree with you. The petersons I've seen are a fine shape, even a newbie smoker can appreciate the work that must have gone into them. I've had a bit of a buying spree over the past couple of days... My tax rebate came back. :') I wanted to take care of my pipes right from the start and have 6 total now so I can build up a rotation that won't knacker them before I know what I'm doing. That's my justification anyway...
When they all come, I'll post some pictures up in this thread. :) I've also got some petersons Christmas blend 2014 on the way, I've heard that the festive blends tend to be popular so thought I'd give it a go.
Cheers all,

- Jason

Crawley1066

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 14, 2014
United Kingdom
www.jpcleather.com
Sparks, hello!
Thank-you, I'm waiting anxiously for it to arrive with my tobacco :D I will keep asking and I imagine that the bulk of them will crop up when I've got all of my pipes through the post :) I have three with me now but I'm not a fan of the tobacco I have. One of the pipes already smells quite strongly of it... I'm hoping I can smoke that ghosting out. But, like I say, I'll be sure to post a few pictures up on here when it's all together.
All the best,

Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.