PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawk60ce

Lifer
Jun 11, 2012
Just had to share this...if i can ever figure it out...how do you add youtube videos??

hawk60ce

Lifer
Jun 11, 2012
and pull it off twice! the video is actually part 2 and 3. theres a part 1 out there somewhere but seems to be hard to find. i agree, makes me like timberlake, and fallon for that matter lol

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Rap/Hip-Hop is a very misunderstood genre. I liken it to the era of Dean Martin and Nat King Cole being exposed to the Beatles and Led Zepplin and not quite understanding this new fangled genre called rock. Rap started out as a clever improvisational rhyming game usually between two friends done while another was beat-boxing or making noises with their mouth. From there it morphed into the early days of Grand Master Flash & so forth. After that it was forever altered as it hit the streets and underpriveleged youth grabbed it by the horns to graphically explain what the hell of life in the ghetto is like. 2Pac totaly threw that on its head with his song "Hit Em Up", a call back to the rap battles between friends which was mistaken by the fans as a complete slap in the face to East Coast rappers and fans. After the deaths of 2Pac and his rival/friend Biggie Smalls it morphed more so into the "bling bling" era with a lot of half talented rappers talking only about girls, money, and the stupidly expensive new toys they were buying with their new found money and fame. These days rap has lost much of its halfway intellectual and philosophical ground it had gained in the early to mid 90s. It's a big shame and I'm sure the genre would be completely different if 2pac and Biggie hadn't been murdered. Rap isn't my favorite genre, but I'm a fan of the old stuff from the 90s. Definitely not a genre I listen to all the time, but I do enjoy a dose of it from time to time.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
It's still not music, as music has melodies, chord progressions, etc.
The monotone lip flapping done to a drum machine is the worst thing to happen to music so far in history :crying:
No flames please, just MHO, and yes I'm an old fart who likes songs you can whistle to. :mrgreen:

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
Hobie you are the guy who likes trumpet music if my memory is correct. That crap is boring. Everyone has their own opinion of music. But I would never say your music is not music. I'm a little offended by that.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
Music is a very personal thing, put 4 people in a car and turn on the radio and 3 of them will be ready to strangle the driver who chose his type of music. I'll make a note to refrain from all music related threads in the future, as it is just as bad as politics and religion, you know, those topics that tend to offend people who do not share ones biased opinion. :puffy:

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I've resisted chiming in on this one; HOWEVER, I've been a musician for 48 years. I play anything and everything from Bach to Rock, as the saying goes. As far as Rap goes I'm closer to hobie's view than not. Let's just say that Rap is not a genre that appeals to me on any level. That being said, I understand that many people like it for many reasons. Frankly, I've never been a lyric guy. For me its about melody and, especially, what's going on in the background with the other instruments. I think most people who play intruments would feel this way.

No doubt that Rap has made it's place on the music scene just due to its popularity; so I won't discount it. I just prefer other styles.

When it comes to lyrics I'll take Johnny Mercer, Sammy Cahn, Cole Porter, Donald Fagan and Weird Al Yankovik.

Status
Not open for further replies.