PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

didache

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2017
London, England
Hi all
Back in the summer of 1975 myself and two friends went on an extended tour of Ireland, stopping where we liked, and moving on when we felt like it. We wound up in a little town called Kilkee right on the western coast overlooking the wild Atlantic. That week there was a 'Singing Pub' competition in town: each night one of the local pubs would host a talent competition, with the winner going on to a grand final at the end of the week. We went along to the first couple of these events and thoroughly enjoyed them. This is where the story gets a little weird.
On the third night we went along to that evening's venue. It was odd: no ladies, and (apart from us) nobody under about 70 years of age. All elderly men, all dressed in black, supping Guinness and smoking various bars and flakes. The walls of the pub were yellowed by years of pipe smoke. Frankly, we wondered if we had got the venue wrong - perhaps there was a pub just down the road where they were singing up a storm?
But, at the appointed time, one of the old men began to sing. He didn't even stand up - he just put down his pipe and began to sing in the quavering voice of the very old. It was a song about the Easter Rising which took place in 1916 which eventually led to the creation of the Irish Republic.
After he finished, another sang, and then another. All were songs of that period - some about the events, and some about the heroes.
All very interesting, we thought, and then it hit us: these old guys were THERE! It wasn't history for them: it was memory. They weren't singing about events learned from a book or people they had heard about - they were singing about the things they had seen and the people they had known as very young men.
This is not a comment on Irish politics, then or now, but I could not help but be moved by this proximity to history.
To this day, when I see a very elderly man with his pipe, I cannot help but remember that night in Kilkee, and I wonder what history this old man has seen. More importantly, as I get older myself, I wonder if younger people ever consider me and the things I have lived through?

leacha

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
I'm 48 and growing up my mother would recount Pearl Harbor and life in Hawaii during that period. My Dad, a career Navy man would, rarely, talk about Vietnam. I've always thought about what other people have seen and lived through and get sad when someone passes knowing all of that information is gone. :(

didache

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2017
London, England
leacha - yup - history isn't in books: it's in the memories and stories of those who saw it. Fortunately, there is more appreciation of that these days and there are various projects around (at least in the UK) where the memories of older people are recorded for future generations.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
I really liked your story and observations, here in Cajun Country not much written history but stories passed down from father to son or Grandfather to Grandson. That's how I learned my ancestors came down from France to America on the converted slave ship Amistiad. No we were on the top deck. :puffy:

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Living history is quickly passing us by. I remember my grandmother telling me when she first saw a car in her small town in Bavaria in the early 1900's and then we watched the first Americans land on the moon in 1969 together. It always fascinated me that she was born before the first airplane flew and then we watched people walk on the moon.

We need to continually talk to our kids and grandchildren about our life experiences so they have some point of reference for where they are now and will be in the future.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
My mother has told her stories of watching planes dogfight over Stockport when she was a young girl, once, while in Blackpool, a German fighter strafed the beach while they were there. All the kids had collections of AA shrapnel and shell casings etc. that fell from the skies. Hard for us to imagine these days.

My father would talk of the air raid sirens going off and not wanting to go to the backyard shelter, the raids had gotten common and a warm bed the better choice for a tired young fella :crazy:

Jun 4, 2014
I love to listening to older generation tell of their life experiences. Many of these people did and saw extraordinary things in their time.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
The amazing thing about these stories is the real old timers who went through hell think we don't want to hear their stories.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
What a great story for sure and a great moment in time to have captured and hung on to.

Moments like that are special and should be held in high reverence. :puffy:

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Unfortunately young people, and I feel this to be even more so valid now days, do not look at their elders fully appreciating their life experience until they get older themselves. didache good story by the way .. :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.