PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2013
Hey everyone. I sort of have my eye on one of these Hilsons. Supposedly they're left over pipes from the original factory in Holland that closed down in the 60's in Holland, and someone in Texas bought up all the unfinished bowls and gave them stains and stems. Well there's one that has my attention and I thought I'd see if anyone here has had any experience with them. They look quite stunning for the price. And the idea that the briar has been aging around 50 years or so sounds appealing.

tanless1

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 14, 2010
I have one. I like it. Found the bowl to be smaller than expected , but its still a nice pipe.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I have two of them ... a Volcano and a small Apple with slightly bent stem.
Really nice smokers and fairly light weight as well.
Which shape are you eyeing?

Jan 8, 2013
I would call it a bent dublin Cobguy. It seems to be calling to me, but I wanted to get some info from others before I made a purchase.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've seen them and like their looks, and the idea of really aged briar. It's a stereotype maybe, but the

Dutch as a people have a considerable pride in craftsmanship. The only aspect that has stopped me

is that I find the shapes a little awkward, maybe retro; none of the shapes really grabs me. If you are

looking at one you like, I think you should go for it.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Pics!
p1010029-600x450.jpg

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
Russ O says they are great pipes. I know what you might be thinking, but Russ O is a stand-up guy and if he did not think they were good (great even) he would not have posted anything on the topic, in my opinion.
I think I will get me a Hilson before the rest of you grab them all up.

Jan 8, 2013
The Dublin I was eyeing was gone before I could get to it, but I picked up a rhodesian which was also quite nice and some tobacco. It will be my little birthday present to myself.

rockymtnsmoker

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
I have one of the oil cured Vintage Hilsons, a slightly bent Dublin, with some very nice flame grain. It's probably a group 2 or 3 and I love it for straight Virginia flakes. I think it's a great pipe for the money. Hope you get yours!
Edit: and it sounds like you did. Congrats!

wilson

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2013
I have a Hilson Mastro from the late '70's. It smokes very well and is one of my favorites. I'd not hesitate to get another Hilson.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Sorry Cobguy. I hope I didn't snag the one you were eyeing
Not at all my friend ... glad it went to a member here!
Do you know what type of tobacco you'll dedicate it to?

Jan 8, 2013
Not sure Cobguy. Dedicating pipes to tobacco is something I've not thought of much until recently. I have a couple pipes I set aside for latakia blends now, but the rest just kind of get what I load their bowls with. I think I have enough now that I'll be able to put more thought into that.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Good choice Anthony. I know Foggy enjoys his vintage Hilson's and he's pretty discerning IMO.
I do not have the most refined tastes, but I have 4 older Belgium Hilsons and 1 newer Holland made one. All have been great smokers, with one of them being the best VaPer pipe I own.
If they had one outstanding characteristic I find that they all smoke really "dry".
I lied. I just counted...I have 6.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Have a beautiful Hilson here that is 50+ yrs old. Bought it unsmoked with leather pipe pouch and baccy pouch for $10.00 last yr at a yard sale. I have smoked it several times but the Jury is still out on it.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
Actually, the stummels for those Hilsons were turned in Belgium in the seventies, before the brand was purchased by Royal Dutch, so that briar has had a lot of time to dry. Most of the ones I've looked at or bought had nice grain, but what surprised me the most is how light they are.
Russ

Status
Not open for further replies.