PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love Hilsons. I have about a dozen of these Belgian made pipes, and there is something unique about them. The Belgian style seems to have that Danish-like Dr Suess-ishness to them, but with a country simpleness, and yet with a lilt of rakishness. My favorite Hilsons are from the late 50's to 60's, including the Elan line. I have a few from this line that I swear are strawberry wood briar, and if they aren't they are as close to it in every quality as possible. But, I have one Hilson elan chimney, that is short stemmed, with a nice bend that almost makes it like a dangling cigar when I smoke it, with the chimney tilted down, and it's way less than an oz, probably half an oz in weight.
So, when I saw another Hilson Elan on an Ebay search, I got excited. These don't come up often, and this one was a stacked dublin of the exact proportions as my chimney, except dublinish. The stem was obviously oxidized to a pale green, and that lacquered stain, I knew, had to go. So, BAM, pulled the trigger.

elan_zpsljqgqzwe.jpg

elan1_zpsencq8djb.jpg

elan2_zps4lcdou6w.jpg

The pipe came, and surprisingly it had maybe been smoked a couple of times and probably tucked away in a drawer somewhere. Yet, it did have an awful smell, like rotten lakelands and tractor grease. So, as I do quite often with yucky smelling pipes, I took the stem off and soaked the stummel in acetone over night. Pulling it out the next day, I could easily wipe out all remnants of any carbon inside the chamber and the lacquer and stain just came off with a wipe of a towel. Acetone evaporates at an extremely fast rate, and any residual chemical foolishness gets washed away as I sanded the stummel and stem to a fine polish using micro-abrasive pads under running water. I then buffed the whole pipe, stummel and stem, with carnuba wax on my benchtop buffer. Please excuse my junky benchtop full of rocks that I cut for jewelry inlay. I then worked the inside of the stem back and forth with about a dozen pipe cleaners vigorously with solvents ranging from acetone, alcohol, and then finally with rum.

Photo-Oct-04-4-32-44-PM_zpsyfzm1zyw.jpg

Photo-Oct-04-4-32-54-PM_zpsfcqh4wdt.jpg

You can see my other Elan in this one. Now she has a sister to join her on the rack.

Photo-Oct-04-4-33-08-PM_zpsgzdmjry7.jpg

I am a big fan of stacks and chimneys. I really enjoy tobaccos that stove very well as they smoke, changing flavors as the bowl progresses, and a stack and chimney focuses the flavor on this. And, for the last couple of days, these two girls have been RO Acadian Gold burning machines. I pack them a tad looser than I would a normal shaped pipe, and just lightly tamp them as the cherry is established. Then, quickly, I just forget about the pipe, and every now and then note the flavor and how it has changed. I don't typically have to relight a chimney, but when I do... I just hold the Bic lighter about half and inch above the bowl, and draw the heat down to the tobacco. I don't have to suck hard, just a gentle but strong long pull, and usually when I relent the pull, a flame jump up out of the bowl. I never hold a flame down towards the chamber.

Anyways, this cute little Hilson will be a nice addition to my collection. Here is a picture of me from a few years ago smoking my Elan Chimney while playing my ukulele for my girlfriend, now wife. Not a great picture, but note, the rakish-like quality of the slant, giving me a devil-may-care aesthetic to my prowess with the uke. Ha ha.

meelanukulele_zpsjq69mqlc.jpg

texmexpipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2014
Nice job! I'll have to look into these as the lines really strike me.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Hurrah! What an effusion of grain. Really impressive. I've always liked Hilsons, though I've never bought one. I like the lighter weight and the big bowls. Belgium and The Netherlands make good pipes even though they don't make nearly as many as U.S., Italy, France, etc.

@Pagan, they are not all that light, but the ones I have from the Elan line are the lightest pipes I own. I also have a few long and lanky blasted stacked dublins that are light also. But, I also have a billiard and two bulldogs by them that are heavier than they look. So... be sure to ask before you pull the trigger.
Thanks Coyote.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Very nice.... I have a Hilson that's not nearly as nice. It's a bit of a stack, small chamber, and lined with meerschaum. Needs some repair, but I smoke it anyway.

Jason, she prefers me to grab my banjo, and she'll join me on the fiddle. She's a bluegrass gal. But, the ukulele is for getting up close when I play. It's a bit of an aphrodisiac, of sorts, ha ha! Works, 2% of the time. :puffy:
Thanks guys,

And Cossackjack, nope, no stain. The original stain has already set deep within the wood grain, so I like the contrast that I get by just waxing after sanding. I'm afraid that if I stained it, I'd loose that contrast somewhat.
Jpmcwjr, I don't have one of their meer-lined pipes. But, I may one day.

scrooge

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
Cosmic if you have time could you post a close up picture of the logo? The one on the stem. The name sounds familiar. I think I have one. Thanks either way. I can't quit make it out.

@Scrooge,

560CD7E7-7B3B-48A7-BF9B-FD8AD355E39E_zpsrqrnb0cz.jpg

This is the one on the Elan, but they've had at least three different stem logos. And mine came kind of worn.

This one was copied feom online of the newer Texas owned logo.

6A7CAD70-A8FF-41E3-A16F-299295D0B071_zpsv4vwktxh.jpg

There is also another one for the pipes that were designed in collaborated with the Royal Pipe Co and Rainer Barbi, but mine is at home, and I cant get a picture of it till later.

Status
Not open for further replies.