PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kalvort

Might Stick Around
May 18, 2013
Hello all, I am a 24 year old pipe smoker based in Kuwait. I don't know why I picked up pipe smoking about 2 years ago, I always think it is to do with the fact that I want to get a Ph.D in Pharmacy sometime in the future. A professor with a pipe in his mouth is my lifetime goal. In Kuwait most smokers smoke cigarettes or hookah/shisha, I rarely see pipe smokers out and about. I have spotted just 2 of them in the last year... This is my first official review so please forgive me for not being very thorough.
Highland Sliced by John Sinclair, bought it on holiday in the UK and comes in a small 25g pouch, inside you get 5 flakes and when I opened the pouch they were at a nice level of moisture, as in I could fold them easily but they weren't so wet. Seemed to be just about right or just slightly wet.
I took one flake and broke it in half lengthwise, folded that two times and stuffed it into my missouri meerschaum bent legend with a 6mm paper filter. I don't usually smoke with a filter but it was there and I was too lazy to toss it out! Two charring lights later the pipe started going. It was harsh at first, and my tongue felt as it was tingling or burning slightly. My throat felt it too, but the flavor was something else. This was some strong stuff. I drove to a friend place, set it down for an hour, then came back to it where I decided to continue on the front porch. Lighted again, this time the harshness level decreased. I started smoking and man oh man, I was relaxed in about 5 minutes!
The flavor was very peaty, something I would describe as a manly smoke! Sorry to use that term, but I find some aromatics too sweet to smoke. It produced a good amount of smoke and lasted for 45 minutes. As it burned down it got cooler and mellowed out, but with the same earthy/peaty flavor. I couldn't detect any sweetness or top flavors, just pure raw tobacco and it was good! Really good. I actually felt I was about to sleep half way through the bowl and I got light headed. Thank god I had a pizza just before. But the smoke was a great change of pace from the other tobaccos I tried. It was the first time that I got a buzz from pipe tobacco. The flavor profile didn't change much throughout, maybe just slightly bitter as you go down, but it wasn't unpleasant at all.
The room note is very strong I would say, it definitely won't please others but thats not a bad thing. I was outside, sipping it slowly, and yes it did go out a few times, but it was extremely relaxing. I did not have a beverage with it.
Would I buy this and smoke it again? Yes! However, only on a full stomach, and I will toss out the filter next time to see what happens and maybe rub it out a little.
And there you have it! My first review. I recommend this blend to smokers looking for a strong, no nonsense smoke, with pure tobacco flavor. Just take your time and sip slowly or you will feel it on your throat. The only problem being availability for everyone outside the UK and of course the nicotine level. However, many people have said that this is similar to Irish Flake, so if you liked that, you will hopefully like this one too.
- Lateef

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
Thanks Lateef - enjoyed the review. I haven't come across that tobacco yet so I'll give it a go. I know how you feel about being one apart; I often feel that I am the only person in London (pop. 8.3 million) walking around with a pipe in their mouth! I certainly have only seen one other in the past few years, although I know there must be thousands of others out there. Good luck and keep that flag flying!
Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.