Pipes Magazine » Pipe Talk

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Higher End Savinelli's VS Artisan Pipe Maker

(18 posts)
  1. fitzy

fitzy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ok so I've been in love with a Savinelli Giubileo d'Oro Sandblasted which I never bought. I am curious though why would one purchase one of the higher end Savinelli's vs a pipe from an artisan pipe maker like Adam or Ryan Alden for example?

(I happen to mention those two as I'm on a waiting list for both)

"These are ghosts that are more at home in a girdle-filled drawer than one of my pipes." Quote by Neil Archer Roan on lakeland ghosts
    Posted 2 years ago #
  2. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ryan Alden hands down!! Unless you're fulfilling a collection or gobsnacked by some shape or whatever, Alden's pipe will blow smoke rings around ANY Savinelli.

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 2 years ago #
  3. tbradsim1

tbradsim1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

+1 Tim, my Alden pipes are a treat to smoke.

The Old Cajun
    Posted 2 years ago #
  4. philobeddoe

Philo Beddoe

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have two Alden's and they are superb in both smoking quality and fit & finish.

"So it goes." - K.V.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  5. iamn8

Nate

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

In my opinion, pipes are pieces of art. They all serve the same purpose. Just buy what you like. What one guy loves another guy wouldn't ever buy. It's truly in the eye of the beholder. Period.

Nate @ Moody AL
    Posted 2 years ago #
  6. fitzy

fitzy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This particular Savinelli has been calling my name now for a couple months. I think that is the only reason I'd end up buying a higher end Savinelli otherwise I can get a top quality artisan commission for less.

I'm waiting patiently for Ryan and Adam.

Posted 2 years ago #
  7. tschiraldi

tschiraldi

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have both, higher end Savs & Artisan pipes (Jesse Jones, Mark Tinsky, Craig Cooper) I'll be honest, the Savs (OLD Nonpareils) smoke better than the Cooper and as well as the Tinsky. Jesse's pipes smoke better than my Castellos and Ashtons (or any other pipe, for that matter!). You couldn't pay me enough to own another Balsa ruined Savinelli! Thosr things are HORRIBLE... just one man's opinion, mind you.

Posted 2 years ago #
  8. tschiraldi

tschiraldi

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have both, higher end Savs & Artisan pipes (Jesse Jones, Mark Tinsky, Craig Cooper) I'll be honest, the Savs (OLD Nonpareils) smoke better than the Cooper and as well as the Tinsky. Jesse's pipes smoke better than my Castellos and Ashtons (or any other pipe, for that matter!). You couldn't pay me enough to own another Balsa ruined Savinelli! Thosr things are HORRIBLE... just one man's opinion, mind you.

Posted 2 years ago #
  9. jmatt

jmatt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

True high end Savinellis ARE artisan pipes.

Posted 2 years ago #
  10. clickklick

clickklick

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hold out for the Alden! He makes an awesome smoking pipe! I just commissioned one from him a couple months back! Blasted Rhodesian!

Hobbyist Pipemaker - Carmette Pipes
    Posted 2 years ago #
  11. toobfreak

toobfreak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Why do people do a lot of things? Because that's what they want or don't know any better. Savinelli's are nice pipes, me, I would probably go for the artisan pipe myself, especially the closer the prices became.

To Master Po: Is it not being able to see that makes you tire of life?
    Master Po: No! It is being able to hear!
    Posted 2 years ago #
  12. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My experience with higher end Savenelli pipes has been good. These have been mostly gifts, and I have found them to be carefully produced and extra smooth smokers. On the other hand, I have some artisan pipes that I treasure -- a Ferndown from a Forums member, a Bob Hayes with a bamboo shank, and a whole set of highly distinctive Jerry Perry pipes including several in Mountain Laurel and one in Cocobolo, and some fine briars as well. I really think you have to consider them one pipe at a time. If you are tending toward buying mostly artisanal pipes, perhaps you should forego the Sav to start this new direction. On the other hand, if the Sav speaks to you, it may be worth delaying this change. Factory pipes can have plenty of artisanal craft involved, and some of the higher end pipes in some brands are handmade. Pipe by pipe is the way to go.

Posted 2 years ago #
  13. wyfbane

wyfbane

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

In the end, do what you like. Everyone loves Ryan's pipes. They are awesome and smoke wonderfully. On the other hand, everyone loves Savinelli and extolls the virtues of even the lower end pipes' smoking quality. One must then infer the high end ones, like the G D'O's must smoke like a unicorn's horn.

So I don't think you can lose with either choice. Hell which ever one pops first should be your choice, then save up and get the other choice next.

Posted 2 years ago #
  14. davidy97

davidy97

Login to Send PM

My sav autograph is one of my top three smokers. Especially if you pick up and estate for $100 range.

Posted 2 years ago #
  15. seitz55

seitz55

Login to Send PM

Ryan Alden is mentioned in high regards on this forum. Does he have a website?

“After some time he felt for his pipe. It was not broken, and that was something. Then he felt for his pouch, and there was some tobacco in it, and that was something more. Then he felt for matches and he could not find any at all, and that shattered his hopes completely.”

― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit
    Posted 2 years ago #
  16. sasquatch

sasquatch

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

aldenpipes.com I think.

He may be a big dumb, mean, loud, drunk, obnoxious Texan, but he makes a hell of a nice pipe.

Posted 2 years ago #
  17. seitz55

seitz55

Login to Send PM

Thanks Sasquatch, that sent me right to it.

Posted 2 years ago #
  18. jefff

jefff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sas may be equally big and dumb....AND CANADIAN......but he also makes a damn fine pipe.

BST pipes. He is a bit weak on puppy eating though.

Posted 2 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   jaytex969, steveg11, pylorns, mikethompson, mso489, alaskanpiper, elpfeife, dcon, litup, brooklynpiper