Pipes Magazine » Pipe Tobacco Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

High Vitamin N Blends?

(49 posts)
  1. cuchulain

Flynn

Login to Send PM

For the past few months I've been attempting to quit dipping and make a full switch over to my pipe. I've been dipping about a tin a day for the past five years so my nicotine tolerance is through the roof. Unfortunately every single kind of pipe tobacco I've tried aside from Peterson's Irish Flake fails to satisfy my nic cravings, and I find myself reaching for the Copenhagen shortly after the bowl is through.

Any suggestions on a high nic blend to help wean myself off the dip?

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."- John Wayne
    Posted 5 years ago #
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

rmason

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

First off welcome, second off you can use the search function to look for older thread that would answer your question. But if you want a high nicotine blend I would suggest Dunhill's Royal Yacht and Irish Flake, like you already stated, and any form of rope tobacco is supposed to have a very nicotine content. I hope you do end up quitting chewing, pipe smoking is so much more relaxing and once again welcome.
    ~Ron

Ron
    Posted 5 years ago #
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Dunhill Nightcap has a pretty potent hit...not sure about comparison to Copenhagen though..that is some heady stuff..but then again my one time trying it I think I swallowed some of the juice.

I have a tin of royal Yacht, haven't tried it but it is supposed to be potent.

The rope tobacco's are suppose to be pretty N-rich.
    Looks like Ron beat me to the punch.

Posted 5 years ago #
  4. msandoval858

msandoval858

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My absolute favorite nic fix blend (aside from Irish Flake) is Gawith Hoggarth Kendal Kentucky.

It's a finer, almost shag cut, that packs really easy in any pipe. It burns well, tastes awesome, and has a little hint of that Lakeland sweetness, but not overly purfumey or soapy like a lot of guys hate. GH uses the same equipment to process all their tobaccos so I've heard, so the essence tends to get picked up even in the non flavored blends. The result here is just a great burning tobacco with lots of flavor and just enough to keep it interesting.

Also C&D Old Joe Krantz. More of a burley blend but it definitely satisfies.

If you want to go with a high octane English, C&D Montford Point Marine is a winner. That stuff doesn't mess around when it comes to nic. I find it way more satisfying than Nightcap. Not hating on Nightcap. It's good too.

Mike
    Posted 5 years ago #
  5. ravenwolf

ravenwolf

Login to Send PM

I'm taking notes here as well

Posted 5 years ago #
  6. flakyjakey

flakyjakey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The ultimate nic-kick in my experience is provided by the brown rope/twists, eg Brown Irish, Brown Bogie etc

I've been smoking pipes for 14 years and Havana cigars for 20 years before then - before I saw the light! Even now, if I'm not careful, if I don't 'sip' the brown ropes carefully I'll be heading for the "vomitorium" LOL

If brown ropes don't work for you, nothing will!!

Posted 5 years ago #
  7. misterlowercase

misterlowercase

Login to Send PM

Some great suggestions here.

Also give Robert McConnell Latakia Flake a go, it ain't really a Lat flavor, more like anise, maybe sorta like Cope? But it gives a good nic hit --- it took me a full tin to get the right packing technique though, I had issues with keeping it lit good, but once you get acquainted with it, it's a really fine stout smoke!

Posted 5 years ago #
  8. rmbittner

rmbittner

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome to the Forums and the hobby, Cuchulain!

Unlike you, I really don't like the effects of nicotine, and so I favor low-nicotine blends. So the ones that are overpowering for me may be nothing for you!

I'll second misterlowercase's suggestion of McConnell's Latakia Flake. I can't comment on the flavor, because I couldn't smoke it long enough to taste anything; I knew after one puff that it was far too strong for me.

GLPease Haddo's Delight is a delicious blend that has a fairly strong nicotine presence. Pease's Jackknife Plug and Gaslight are also know for their nicotine.

You might also enjoy Solani Aged Burley Flake and MacBaren HH Old Dark Fired.

Bob

Posted 5 years ago #
  9. unadoptedlamp

unadoptedlamp

Login to Send PM

Dunhill's nightcap set me on my ass a couple of times, and I have a pretty high tolerance for nicotine. Usually after I had 2 bowls, back to back, but even one should do it for you. Depends a lot on if you like the stuff too. I found Rattray's Hal o' the wynd to be pretty strong for a virginia blend as well. It's written on the tin, which may lead to subliminal suggestion, but I think it's accurate.
    If you really want to quit chewing tobacco, just start smiling at any ladies you're trying to impress right after you finish a plug. Their reactions might turn you off from the stuff! Well, if you enjoy it, do what you like, but from your post, it seems like you're trying to kick that habit. I never really saw the appeal. That, and including snuff. It just seems so messy and the people I've seen doing it... well, hocking up big gobs of black spit/phlegm/teeth/and whatever else comes up is pretty damn gross for most people to sit next to.
    Of course, it does have a mild badass effect, like when someone like me says something offensive to a guy like you and your reaction is to hock that shit on to my shoes. That's an impact to be sure.
    Anyway, Nightcap and Hal o' the Wynd. Those are two very different, but strong blends.

Posted 5 years ago #
  10. robusthermit

robusthermit

Login to Send PM

C&D Old Joe Krantz, Ten Russians, SG 1792 Flake, C&D Haunted Bookshop, C&D Bow Legged Bear, Any rope but Brown Bogie is the strongest. These are my go to blends for a nic fix. I also enjoy Jacknife Plug, Triple Play, C&D Big and Burley and C&D Bayou and Three Nuns. They are not as high in nic but I pull them out when I plan on smoking several bowls back to back.

Posted 5 years ago #
  11. rmbittner

rmbittner

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I just want to follow up on the Hal o' the Wynd recommendation. . .

This is a fantastic Virginia. (Rattray's is known for their remarkable Virginias.) But this blend is only going to truly shine if it's smoked verrrry slowly. It's only at that point that the rich Virginia flavor and sweetness come to the fore.

Since smoking slowly is something most beginning pipe smokers struggle with, I wanted to mention that just in case you tried it and wondered what the fuss was all about. Of course, if you smoke it slowly enough to reap its benefits, you may not be getting the nicotine hit you're looking for.

Bob

Posted 5 years ago #
  12. unadoptedlamp

unadoptedlamp

Login to Send PM

That's very true about the tempo of the smoke. I think that if you puff any blend too fast, it becomes much diminished. It's one of those things that you don't really pick up on until that magical time when it happens accidentally or you really make an effort to figure it out. Sort of like inhaling. Go slow, don't inhale, and the flavour is really very impressive and different.
    I think the wynd will still get you when it's done slow. It'll just take a bit longer.

Posted 5 years ago #
  13. fadingdaylight

fadingdaylight

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

+1 Jack Knife Plug, plenty of nicotine in that one.

- Jason
    "Lost in thought and lost in time... While the seeds of life and the seeds of change were planted... Outside the rain fell dark and slow... While I pondered on this dangerous but irresistible pastime..."
    Posted 5 years ago #
  14. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

+1 for Jack Knife Plug and C&D Monford Point Marine. I'm a relative nic sissy and they both kicked my ass. I love the flavor so much I'm willing to punish myself a little for them.

Posted 5 years ago #
  15. escioe

escioe

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Jackknife Plug is plenty for me on its own, but I hear that pipestud mixes it with Five Brothers, which is basically straight nicotine, for extra strength.

Posted 5 years ago #
  16. natibo

natibo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

5 brothers does it for me. BTW, this is my 200th post!

Bo
    Posted 5 years ago #
  17. cuchulain

Flynn

Login to Send PM

Thanks for all the suggestions folks. I put in an order for 1792 and Nightcap.

Posted 5 years ago #
  18. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Here are some with good nic:
    Highest to lowest IMO:
    Condor ready rubbed (green)
    Jack knife plug
    Old Dark Fired
    McConnell Scottish Cake

Posted 5 years ago #
  19. salewis

salewis

Login to Send PM

I am a nicotine wimp, however, I recall seeing two tobacco blends, in other posts, that have significant nicotine content. One of these high vitamin D blends is Five Brothers and the other blend is Tremboka(sp). I have not smoked either one of these high nicotine tobacco blends.

Posted 5 years ago #
  20. mrjerke

JJ Pipes

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Since no one else mentioned it I have to ask. Anyone get nailed by Solani 633? It's the only blend that's given me N fits twice. I'm currently smoking a bowl on a full stomach and it's still hitting me.

Jordan

"The trick is to enjoy life. Don't wish away your days, waiting for better ones ahead." - Marjorie Pay Hinckley
    Posted 5 years ago #
  21. dottiewarden

dottiewarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Although I’m too new at this to offer any personal advice, I found a video on YouTube called High Nicotine Suggestions.
    Here’s the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATHJ4awXOVk

This guy is asking the same question, so I suggest Reading the comments to get the answers.

Dot

Dot
    Posted 5 years ago #
  22. User has not uploaded an avatar

nardzorb

Login to Send PM

Now, as a pipe noob, I have questions.
    Is it the nicotine that makes a certain kind of mouth feel, like a sort of numbness? I like that.
    And from what I understand (what I read) is that N absorbs through the mouth, no need to inhale, is that correct?

And the only info missing is flavour information, can someone fill me in on a non-aromatic, high N English type blend?
    Wouldn't mind a slap in the face once in awhile.

Posted 5 years ago #
  23. escioe

escioe

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nightcap is a big latakia blend with a good nicotine hit that you may like.

Posted 5 years ago #
  24. andrew

Andy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

John Patton's cool hand fluke and C&D's Nightrain, both of these will make your head spin.

Posted 5 years ago #
  25. dread

dread

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Old Dark Fired sneaks up on me sometimes. briar fox knocked me straight down.

". . . I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul."
    - INVICTUS
    Posted 5 years ago #
  26. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Cigars.

Posted 5 years ago #
  27. shaintiques

shaintiques

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I thought I had smoked some strong tobaccos in my smoking escapades, but I had no idea. I got some Jackknife plug the other day and a couple hours after big lunch I fired up a rather large bowl. By the time I was finished smoking it I was a little green. I felt like crap to be honest, it started well, the mellowing sensation and light buzz, but that quickly turned ugly. The tobacco itself is not to blame and has a great taste, but my large Tinsky panel is not the right pipe for this tobacco, I'm thinking my smallest billiard will fit the bill for the future. This stuff packs a punch.

I know what I need, smoke, I can't recall the last time I tasted it....Gandalf in the mines of Moria.

"we shall have to share pipes, as good friends must at a pinch'....'I keep a treasure or two near my skin, as precious as rings to me. Here's one: my old wooden pipe. And here's another an unused one...He held up a small pipe with a wide flattened bowl, and handed it to Gimli. 'Does that settle the score between us', said Merry. 'Most noble hobbit, it leaves me deep in your debt."
    Posted 5 years ago #
  28. allan

allan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

+1 on Royal Yacht.

I'm used to smoking cigars and pipes but I was not ready for this Duhill blend. Tastes great if you like Latakia (some vague plum flavoring, the tin says) but after 3/4 of a large bowl, man I really felt it.

Came as a complete surprise to me, even though I was warned.

Allan
    Posted 5 years ago #
  29. aristokles

aristokles

Login to Send PM

Mentioned above, C&D Old Joe Krantz allowed me to kick a persistent cigarette habit cold, in ONE day. I still love English blends, especially Engine 99, but OJK is on my daily list permanently now. And, no, I never inhale it.

Posted 5 years ago #
  30. countryboy

countryboy

Login to Send PM

I know its an old post but im using my pipe to help stop dipping any luck with it. I enjoy the pipe and have to stop dipping just diagnose with barrette esophagus

Posted 1 year ago #
  31. thomasw

thomasw

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The ones mentioned above do have N uhmphff, but Cotton Boll Twist is rumoured to be very serious in the N uhmphff department.

After some time he felt for his pipe. It was not broken, and that was something. Then he felt for his pouch, and there was some tobacco in it, and that was something more. Then he felt for matches and he could not find any at all, and that shattered his hopes completely.

The Hobbit
    Posted 1 year ago #
  32. prairiedruid

prairiedruid

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

War Horse Bar can be a real kick in the gut.

Posted 1 year ago #
  33. uperepik

uperepik

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I dipped a can a day for 15 years. Those commit lozenges helped because I could stick it in my check and gave the satisfaction of having something packed in my lip lol. Just a thought.

-
    "A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth."
    C.S Lewis
    Posted 1 year ago #
  34. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I know its an old post but im using my pipe to help stop dipping any luck with it. I enjoy the pipe and have to stop dipping just diagnose with barrette esophagus

I dipped Cope for 27 years and started smoking a pipe about 8 years ago. I'll tell you the blends that worked for me and finally helped get me off the damn dip...

Samuel Gawith - 1792 Flake (Lakeland Dark if you don't like Tonquin)
    GH&Co. - Dark Flake (Scented or not both good choices)
    GH&Co. - Brown Bogie (you can also get Brown Twist Sliced for convenience)
    Gallaher - Condor (my all time favorite but you really have to love it to source it in the States as it can get pricey)
    C&D - Old Joe Krantz
    Ogden - St. Bruno (not as strong as the above but will surely satisfy, plus it's just GOOD)

These really kept me satisfied during the extremely tough go at getting off dip. Good luck to you, sir.

Note* The Brown Bogie also make a good chaw, you can just bite of a bit and put it between you cheek and gum. I don't consider it cheating, it's more like using Red Man or Levi Garret to help you wean off dipping but you can't smoke those so Brown Bogie wins hands down.

Posted 1 year ago #
  35. countryboy

countryboy

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the info. My doc actually told me a few bowls a day is better for my condition than dipping.

Posted 1 year ago #
  36. mawnansmiff

mawnansmiff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Please excuse my ignorance but what's the difference twixt dipping and chewing tobacco?

Regards,

Jay.

...take up thy stethoscope and walk...
    Posted 1 year ago #
  37. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Jay, dip will usually be a very fine cut tobacco that comes in a can. It’s meant to really just sit in between the cheek and gum. Chaw usually comes in more of a long, whole leaf style cut that ya put a large portion in your cheek and often it is chewed, resulting in large amounts of spit (baseball players are known to chew), it’s also much sweeter and is flavored with brown sugars. Chew (or chaw) usually comes in a pouch or Plug form. Dipping is notoriously stronger than chaw and is therefore much more addicting. Producers have been found putting small particles of fiberglass mixed in with the fine cut tobacco to help the nicotine into the bloodstream and there are more than 500 different toxins in each can of dip. It’s some very addicting stuff and it’s scary what they’re putting into the stuff.

Posted 1 year ago #
  38. mawnansmiff

mawnansmiff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the explanation Hawky, I think I'll give both a miss.

Regards,

Jay.

Posted 1 year ago #
  39. countryboy

countryboy

Login to Send PM

Im doing ok just hsvent completely gotten off but i will

Posted 1 year ago #
  40. countryboy

countryboy

Login to Send PM

Thanks for all the info guys

Posted 1 year ago #
  41. admiral

admiral

Login to Send PM

I would suggest - Samuel Gawith: Black XX
    If this dont get you off the horse, then I dont know what ever will

Posted 1 year ago #
  42. newbroom

newbroom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Budget friendly bulks that I think have the goods from the US are:
    C&D Big 'n Burley - best prices from Smoking Pipes - blend lists other varietals w/burley but burley is the star
    D&R Picayune - best pricing from P&C - this is a VaPer and it doesn't fool around. Great blend!

Posted 1 year ago #
  43. User has not uploaded an avatar

sumusfumus

Login to Send PM

Guys....

Thanks for naming names. Now I know what not to buy.

Don't like the getting a nic-buzz, the nic-headaches and queasy stomach.

Frank

Posted 1 year ago #
  44. chilipalmer

chilipalmer

Login to Send PM

I don't believe I saw anyone mention Peterson's Irish Flake. I have heard rumors about it packing a serious wallop. I am curious to know if those rumors are true, or, does no one smoke it?

Cheers,

Chili

“Pipe: a primary masculine symbol with authoritarian overtones but also indicative of reliability and contentment.”
    -The Dictionary of Visual Language, 1980
    Posted 1 year ago #
  45. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

One I accidentally left off the list (lets make it two). I saw that Troy mentioned it above when this thread was going around originally. McConnell's Latakia Flake and/or Revor Plug. Those two are essential in my opinion and taste very similar to me. I don't really get any Lat in Latakia Flake so the name can throw ya for a loop but it's got a good, stout dose of vitamin n and it's an absolute pleasure to smoke.

Posted 1 year ago #
  46. saltedplug

saltedplug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

In decreasing order:

Cotton Ball
    Brown Rope
    Dark Flake, Black rope
    Irish Flake, Jackknife Plug, University Flake, WarHorse
    Haddos

Posted 1 year ago #
  47. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Irish Flake does not strike me as all that strong; on par with Peterson's Perfect Plug (3P) which is also quite good.

For a solid medium-to-strong, the same blending house offers Irish Oak, which is a favorite.

I have smoked a fair amount of Cotton Boll Twist and it is about as strong as your average GH/SG rope. Those are pretty much the apex of nicotine overdrive, and most of them are delicious.

Royal Yacht is a shade past medium-to-strong. I smoke it mixed with Burley Flake #1, which is a wonderful high nicotine blend.

Many find heavy nicotine in Five Brothers!. Perhaps, although it seems more medium-to-strong to me. Great tobacco nonetheless.

From the SG/GH ropes, I find Brown No. 4 to be the best, truly an epic blend. I love Brown Twist Sliced/Happy Brown Bogie, but it might have too much smoke-cured leaf for the long term. Brown Irish and Black XX are also great.

Semois is another great one, but medium-to-strong, not brutally strong. Burns hot with some bite but a delicious and unique smoke. MSO489 is the expert here.

Dunhill Nightcap and its American cousin, Engine 99, both deserve some mention here for Perique-laden Englishes.

Everyone mentions Tambolaka, and it is quite good, but only as strong as a GH/SG rope, on par with Cotton Boll Twist.

Old Joe Krantz is of course the codger favorite that every OTC blend wishes it was.

1792 is great but blighted by the Lakeland Essence, try Lakeland Dark instead.

Old Dark Fired has an appeal as well, although it sort of tastes a bit over-smoked, like tourist BBQ, at times. Still I like it. A Philistine obviously.

I might speak up here for C&D Cube Cut Burley. A solid medium-to-strong, it takes on flavors very easily and is a great mixer.

"My own experience has been that the tools I need for my trade are paper, tobacco, food, and a little whiskey." -- William Faulkner

The Metal Mixtures
    Posted 1 year ago #
  48. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Did anyone already mention Tambolaka? Last time I looked, 4noggins had re-stocked this air cured Indonesian burley. Treat it with respect. Sample it first in a small pipe or a partly packed pipe, to see how it goes, after a full meal and beverage. It certainly has the N kick. It may not be the strongest, but it's in the neighborhood. Like Five Brothers, it can serve as a condiment to step up the strength of milder blends when wanted. SG Brown Twist is another stem-winder, so take it slow, and see how it goes. Lately I've backed off into milder blends, and a few very mild, but still like my Semois, Billy Budd, and OJK. And others. Didn't have a bad experience with the full strength blends, but I have discovered layers of flavors in some of the all-day blends.

Posted 1 year ago #
  49. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Just recently I had myself,both Mc Barens HH Bold Kentucky and Irish Flake by Peterson,and sure enough I love very much top quality Kentucky fired tobacco found in these two,but as before,couldn't hande the nicotine punch unless these weren't smoked in smallish bowl,so there we go again,(this was my second attempt with these)I gave them tins to a buddy of mine whos chain Ryo cigarette smoker,and seem be able to handle whatever tobacco.From there this repeated experience led me to understanding I might be better off leaving the G&Hoggarth Kendal Kentuckies and SG Lakeland Dark(feeling a growing interest to these)on the tobacconist shelf shelve.Finally and funny enough, I can smoke whatever Dry Semois whether its production of Manil or JP Couvert with no obvious ill effects.

Paul The Scandinavian'
    Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   catyrpelius, redone, alexnc, jiminks