PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
Thursday nite here in Carolina one of the most fierce thunder storms I've ever been through hit my neck of the woods.Loads of rain,high winds,and lightening all over me.It broke tree limbs eaven knocked whole trees down.Lightening started fires.It took out my modem,and key board.It also took out a direct tv box and the tv hooked to it.It was a small tv but my wife wanted it replaced.I tried to explain to her how much tobacco I could buy with the money..You know who won that arguement..Anyway all is well and I'm back online with a whole lot more respect for the power of these storms.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Never underestimate the power of nature! e.g, Hurricane Sandy. In Feb 2013 we had 40" of snow fall in a single night. I've lived up north (including Canada ) my entire life and I've never seen the like. Whenever we get a bit too arrogant about our place in the universe, something in nature will come along to put us in our place.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I have great respect for the power of storms. Years ago, I was working on Lonesome Dove at a remote location high in the mountains above Taos, New Mexico. We had erected a shelter made of 2x4's covered with a heavy plastic material called visquine, IRRC. The shelter was to protect the glass matte painting that I was painting, which was a winter view of the Montana Ranch. I was working late at night while a storm was raging outside. Suddenly a blast of air came through the door flap, strong enough to pick me up off the ground and send me flying. I hit the ground and could hear all of my equipment flying around inside the shelter. Complete chaos for a couple of minutes as my painting lights flew toward the glass. I manage to tackle them in time and lay huddled against the ground. After a moment everything became still. When I looked up I realized that I was viewing the night sky where the roof had been. It seemed a good time to knock off for the day.

sfsteves

Lifer
Aug 3, 2013
SF Bay Area
sablebrush52 said:

When I looked up I realized that I was viewing

the night sky where the roof had been.
Reminds me of the old joke where Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson go camping ... in the middle of the night, Holmes wakes Watson, saying "Watson, look at the stars! ... what do you deduce from that spectacular view?"
Watson begins a lengthy reply in which he mentions the vastness of the Universe and man's small, almost insignificant place in it ... Holmes interrupts him, saying "No, Watson ... the inference is far more obvious ... someone has stolen our tent"

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
During Hurricane Fran, as the wind raged on and on, with the power long gone, my late wife shook her head

and said, with her usual wit, it seems like there's someone we should be able to call about this. Everyone was

watching for damage and flooding at the coast, and the storm made a run inland and left Raleigh in shambles.

No one called to see how we were, since no one imagined Fran would run inland. Few places provide a total

escape from natural disasters of some kind.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Ok, sablebrush, you're off the hook for anymore Lonesome Dove stories, but in lieu of them I'd love to see some if your non-NDA/ personal work. Obviously, you can say no. I'm a failed artist and I'm always amazed at people who can make a living off their artistic talents.
-Jason

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
You worked on Basketball (and many great films, that one just holds a special memory for me)! Great stuff all over that site Sablebrush, I had no idea.

jfox520

Part of the Furniture Now
May 24, 2013
Marvin the Martin is my favorite character. I collect all his stuff. If they make it I have one. The only thing left is a seri cell.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
I've seen at least 10 of the projects you've worked on. You've had some steady work with your art.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Glad you're back online Puffy. We don't get many serious storms in VT - however, rain we got, sometimes too much.
mad-winooski-rivers-2.jpg

This was Main Street in my town during Irene..
You can view some of my work at:
http://silverimageservice.com/
Enjoy!
Awesome work Jesse!

Status
Not open for further replies.