PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2013
Trying to ween myself off the nails, as those of you like to call them here, what do some of you suggest to help with the nicotine addiction?

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
Mac Baren HH Old Dark Fired and GL Pease Jacknife plug are pretty nic heavy.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Haddo's Delight.
Great stuff.
Edit: also, when quitting nails, I found VaPers in general were most satisfying. I frequently smoke Escudo, Hal o' the Wynd, Fillmore, Beacon Extra, etc. Also GL Pease's Cairo - great blend for quitting nails, a VaPer hybrid with orientals. I also like VaBurs like Golden Extra.
As has been discussed here recently, you may also want to experiment with adding some proportion of (good quality) rolling tobacco to your pipe blends.
Hearth and Home also has a new blend called Freight Train that I found fairly strong in both flavor and nic.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I don't like feeling the effects of nicotine at all, but if that's what you want you'd be best served by blends containing burley and perique, which are both higher in nicotine.

eazye77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 21, 2012
Dunhill Night Cap is a good one that I have had and love!!!!

falcon76

Lurker
Dec 15, 2012
If I may suggest a high nic blend may not be what you need but a high flavor blend. I am also quitting a 20+ plus year nail addiction and I suggest a flavorful blend may solve your problem. I tried aros in place of nails and it never worked but once i started smoking a lat. heavy blend I crave a pipe way more than nails. I also suggest keeping some prince albert or other burley based OTC on hand as it will allow an inhale or two while still enjoying the pipe instead of firing up a nail.

rhogg

Can't Leave
Jun 14, 2011
I echo the gentleman who suggested Virginia Perique blends.
Prince Albert is what got me off cigs.
As I have suggested to many others looking for pipes to help with quitting cigs, you should look for pipe tobaccos with a full tobacco flavor. Virginias and burleys are likely going to satisfy you the most at this point.
Your taste buds will evolve over time, and when your vitamin N cravings subside you will be "more free" to explore.
It has taken me over a year to enjoy aromatic blends to any great extent.
Orlik Golden Sliced is another great tobacco that provides an excellent staple tobacco flavor and the right amount of strength. The occasional inhale is not recommended but highly satisfying:)

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
I also suggest keeping some prince albert or other burley based OTC on hand as it will allow an inhale or two while still enjoying the pipe instead of firing up a nail.

+1 falcon76
I like my CH for the same reason

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
+1 for Chantix.
My wife and I both quit at the same time and had every known said effect of the drug: cataclysmic farting, sweats, nightmares, etc.
It didn't work for Mr. Fnord, but it did for me.
Best of luck, pal.
Fnord

chopsie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2012
Mick McQuaid is a good one if you can get a hold of it (wouldn't bother with international shipping if that's the only way you can get it though). As someone trying to completely get rid of cigarettes, I've found that Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls tend to give a good bit of nicotine and taste really good as well.

eibhir

Can't Leave
Jan 16, 2013
United States
I've found that when I really want a cig stuffing a bit of rolling tobacco in my pipe really helps. Also I keep a detailed list of how much I smoke everyday and the cost versus the same cost in cigs. That way I will reward myself with the savings. I want a new camera and at $0.40 cents a cig or $0.20 cents a bowl it won't be long now. Good luck!

Jan 8, 2013
I've thought about taking the tobacco out of a cigarette and adding it to the tobacco I'm going to fill my bowl with. Would that be a bad idea?

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
I think it would be a bad idea if you smoke industrial cigarettes. Because it's 'sheet tobacco' and not real tobacco leaf, you would likely leave a residue from the chemicals and glues that would be absorbed by the briar impact the flavor of your fine pipe tobaccos.
If you want to smoke cigarette tobacco from your pipe it's fine, but get a good quality rolling tobacco from PS, American Spirit, Bali Shag, etc.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Another thing I would add to this discussion: It's not really the nicotine that makes giving up the nails so tough. Otherwise a pipe would be an easy substitute. It's the addiction to some chemical additive(s) in the cigarette. I don't know if it's part of the sheet tobacco making process or something additional. Trust me on this one - no 'conspiracy theory'. So while high nicotine blends may help, I would caution against choosing your blends entirely based on this criteria. Focus on blends you really like and you can smoke all day. For me (and apparently other former cigarettes smokers) this meant VaPers and VaBurs (and various hybrids with orientals). High on my list were/are Escudo, Haddo's, Cairo,Barbary Coast, Golden Extra, Beacon Extra, Golden Sliced, and more recently LBF. I also developed a taste for Angler's Dream in a cob when I'm away from the house. Carter Hill will do in a pinch.

bogglor

Might Stick Around
Nov 30, 2012
I'm probably the worst person to listen to when it comes to nicotine, but here's my 2 cents.
Highest nicotine pipe tobaccos that I have tried, in order:
1. Five Brothers

2. 1792 Flake

3. Peterson's Irish Flake

4. Nightcap

5. Jackknife Plug/Ready Rubbed
None of these make me like spin out of control or anything, it's just that I mostly never notice a nic hit in any pipe tobacco I smoke (certain cigars are the only area where I feel nic measurably). These 5 have made me say "Hmm, there's some nicotine going on here."

acaciavet

Lurker
Sep 8, 2009
Gawaith FVF has enough Nicotine to make a Buzzard Barf up lunch.I smoke a pipe becuase Nicotine is way over rated.

Status
Not open for further replies.