High Nicotine Blends

(31 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by anthonyrosenthal74
  • Latest reply from anthonyrosenthal74
  1. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Trying to ween myself off the nails, as those of you like to call them here, what do some of you suggest to help with the nicotine addiction?

Cut me... I bleed black.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  2. gwtwdbss

Chris

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Mac Baren HH Old Dark Fired and GL Pease Jacknife plug are pretty nic heavy.

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. sothron

Perique

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Haddo's Delight.

Great stuff.

Edit: also, when quitting nails, I found VaPers in general were most satisfying. I frequently smoke Escudo, Hal o' the Wynd, Fillmore, Beacon Extra, etc. Also GL Pease's Cairo - great blend for quitting nails, a VaPer hybrid with orientals. I also like VaBurs like Golden Extra.

As has been discussed here recently, you may also want to experiment with adding some proportion of (good quality) rolling tobacco to your pipe blends.

Hearth and Home also has a new blend called Freight Train that I found fairly strong in both flavor and nic.

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

What helps the most is not to have, buy, accept, or smoke cigarettes

OK, I'm being facetious here, but not by much. The reality of life -- even though it's probably the hardest think many of us have done in our entire life -- is to just decide to quit and then do it.

The first week is the hardest. After 3 weeks, you're pretty much OK as long as you refuse to pick up a butt.

My friend, who smoked for 30+ years, quit six months ago, using the prescription Chantix.

But again, you have to decide to quit, you have to really want to quit for you (not the wife/GF, not the kids, for you,) then hold firm, suck it up, and do it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. rmbittner

rmbittner

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't like feeling the effects of nicotine at all, but if that's what you want you'd be best served by blends containing burley and perique, which are both higher in nicotine.

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

As for high nic tobaccos, there's the ropes -- SG Brown #4, I think, is highest of them. Five Brothers used to be kick ass, not sure if it's been re-blended or not though.

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. eazye77

eazye77

Login to Send PM

Dunhill Night Cap is a good one that I have had and love!!!!

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. falcon76

falcon76

Login to Send PM

If I may suggest a high nic blend may not be what you need but a high flavor blend. I am also quitting a 20+ plus year nail addiction and I suggest a flavorful blend may solve your problem. I tried aros in place of nails and it never worked but once i started smoking a lat. heavy blend I crave a pipe way more than nails. I also suggest keeping some prince albert or other burley based OTC on hand as it will allow an inhale or two while still enjoying the pipe instead of firing up a nail.

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks for all the suggestions and tips everyone. I'll be sure to try a few of them out.

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. rhogg

rhogg

Login to Send PM

I echo the gentleman who suggested Virginia Perique blends.

Prince Albert is what got me off cigs.

As I have suggested to many others looking for pipes to help with quitting cigs, you should look for pipe tobaccos with a full tobacco flavor. Virginias and burleys are likely going to satisfy you the most at this point.

Your taste buds will evolve over time, and when your vitamin N cravings subside you will be "more free" to explore.

It has taken me over a year to enjoy aromatic blends to any great extent.

Orlik Golden Sliced is another great tobacco that provides an excellent staple tobacco flavor and the right amount of strength. The occasional inhale is not recommended but highly satisfying:)

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. mikephillips

mikephillips

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Brown rope #4. That's probably as high in nicotine as anything I've smoked. Even if you're a pack a day man, it'll probably leave you a bit dizzy the first half dozen times you smoke it. I caution you to not inhale it.

I've smoked cigarettes in the past, and maybe I didn't have the habit as bad as most, but when I wanted to give them up, I found the best way was to just stop cold-turkey for a few days, and the urge to find some makings and build a smoke passed after 3 days. The desire to have a cigarette....I doubt that ever goes away, but maybe that's because I actually enjoy smoking, rather than the addiction of nicotine/cigarettes and refused to allow myself to be driven by a physical need.

Anyway, you seem like a strong kid, man up and toss 'em. Not only will you be glad you did, you'll be proud of yourself for doing it without help.

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. 05venturer

05venturer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I also suggest keeping some prince albert or other burley based OTC on hand as it will allow an inhale or two while still enjoying the pipe instead of firing up a nail.

+1 falcon76

I like my CH for the same reason

Kent

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

mikephillips said

Anyway, you seem like a strong kid, man up and toss 'em.
    lol I'm actually going to be 39 in March but you're right. I need to just man up. Thanks.

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. User has not uploaded an avatar

mustanggt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Brown Irish Twist. It is a great ass kick of nic.

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. fnord

fnord

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

+1 for Chantix.

My wife and I both quit at the same time and had every known said effect of the drug: cataclysmic farting, sweats, nightmares, etc.

It didn't work for Mr. Fnord, but it did for me.

Best of luck, pal.

Fnord

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. User has not uploaded an avatar

chopsie

Login to Send PM

Mick McQuaid is a good one if you can get a hold of it (wouldn't bother with international shipping if that's the only way you can get it though). As someone trying to completely get rid of cigarettes, I've found that Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls tend to give a good bit of nicotine and taste really good as well.

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. eibhir

eibhir

Login to Send PM

I've found that when I really want a cig stuffing a bit of rolling tobacco in my pipe really helps. Also I keep a detailed list of how much I smoke everyday and the cost versus the same cost in cigs. That way I will reward myself with the savings. I want a new camera and at $0.40 cents a cig or $0.20 cents a bowl it won't be long now. Good luck!

A smile will always keep them guessing.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  18. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've thought about taking the tobacco out of a cigarette and adding it to the tobacco I'm going to fill my bowl with. Would that be a bad idea?

Posted 1 year ago #
  19. sothron

Perique

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think it would be a bad idea if you smoke industrial cigarettes. Because it's 'sheet tobacco' and not real tobacco leaf, you would likely leave a residue from the chemicals and glues that would be absorbed by the briar impact the flavor of your fine pipe tobaccos.

If you want to smoke cigarette tobacco from your pipe it's fine, but get a good quality rolling tobacco from PS, American Spirit, Bali Shag, etc.

Posted 1 year ago #
  20. mikephillips

mikephillips

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've thought about taking the tobacco out of a cigarette and adding it to the tobacco I'm going to fill my bowl with. Would that be a bad idea?

Listen to Sothron, he's right. Don't take a cigarette apart and try it in your pipe, it tastes like shit, tried that years ago and it doesn't even taste like tobacco, more like cardboard.

Get a pouch of Bugler or Drum. Those are the two best quality RYO tobaccos (in my opinion) and both smoke very nicely in a pipe. I keep some Bugler around specifically for my pipe, since I quit the cigarettes some time back. Just don't smoke it fast, as it will scorch the shit outta your tongue, buddy. And don't inhale, either, kind of defeats the purpose of giving up the nails You'll get plenty of nicotine from the smoke in your mouth, and it tastes fantastic, about a thousand times better than any cigarette you've ever smoked.

Posted 1 year ago #
  21. sothron

Perique

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Another thing I would add to this discussion: It's not really the nicotine that makes giving up the nails so tough. Otherwise a pipe would be an easy substitute. It's the addiction to some chemical additive(s) in the cigarette. I don't know if it's part of the sheet tobacco making process or something additional. Trust me on this one - no 'conspiracy theory'. So while high nicotine blends may help, I would caution against choosing your blends entirely based on this criteria. Focus on blends you really like and you can smoke all day. For me (and apparently other former cigarettes smokers) this meant VaPers and VaBurs (and various hybrids with orientals). High on my list were/are Escudo, Haddo's, Cairo,Barbary Coast, Golden Extra, Beacon Extra, Golden Sliced, and more recently LBF. I also developed a taste for Angler's Dream in a cob when I'm away from the house. Carter Hill will do in a pinch.

Posted 1 year ago #
  22. poligerard

poligerard

Login to Send PM

night cap will give you what you are looking for amigo !!

Posted 1 year ago #
  23. User has not uploaded an avatar

bogglor

Login to Send PM

I'm probably the worst person to listen to when it comes to nicotine, but here's my 2 cents.

Highest nicotine pipe tobaccos that I have tried, in order:

1. Five Brothers
    2. 1792 Flake
    3. Peterson's Irish Flake
    4. Nightcap
    5. Jackknife Plug/Ready Rubbed

None of these make me like spin out of control or anything, it's just that I mostly never notice a nic hit in any pipe tobacco I smoke (certain cigars are the only area where I feel nic measurably). These 5 have made me say "Hmm, there's some nicotine going on here."

Posted 1 year ago #
  24. acaciavet

acaciavet

Login to Send PM

Gawaith FVF has enough Nicotine to make a Buzzard Barf up lunch.I smoke a pipe becuase Nicotine is way over rated.

Posted 1 year ago #
  25. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

Daughters and Ryan's Picayune kicked my butt -- in a class with Five Brothers.

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 1 year ago #
  26. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'll definitely look into some of those tobaccos, and perhaps some bugler to add to my pipe every once in a while.

Posted 1 year ago #
  27. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I would go for the Petersons Irish Flake, it is very strong but it also has a lot of flavor. It is available almost everywhere so finding it is a breeze.

Harris
    Posted 1 year ago #
  28. User has not uploaded an avatar

bogglor

Login to Send PM

Agree that Irish Flake has a lot of flavor. If you like dark fired Kentucky taste, there is none better.

Posted 1 year ago #
  29. timely

timely

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I agree with bogglor's list, and will add Petersons Irish Flake.

Posted 1 year ago #
  30. bentmike

bentmike

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yes Irish Flake is a satisfying smoke. As is University flake (Virginia/Burley) from Peterson. Good luck getting off the nails. You can do it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  31. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

thanks. they sell these mini cobs at a gas station nearby. Thinking of picking one up. I take a few cigarette breaks when on the job. It might help with that.

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   mikestanley, racerx, jparker, jfox520, texmexpipe, huntertrw, krizzose, rsuninv, nurseman, lordnoble, patiobum, xrundog, misterlowercase, derfargin, weezell, simnettpratt, cosmicfolklore, robski, papipeguy, condorlover1, tbradsim1, sidious, brudnod