PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
No, I mean it- we’re really, really high...around 11,400’ to be specific in Cusco...Went to Lima last weekend for a family wedding with Greta and have been in Cusco for 4 days. It’s a bit challenging- 64% of the oxygen at this altitude compared to Sarasota Fl. Finally recovered enough this morning to fire up some Stonehaven- some interesting observations- smoking at 50 degrees in a dry environment seems to brighten the taste of the tobacco...Very crisp and clean taste. The nicotine hit is ridiculous, because having borderline hypoxia from the altitude, it doesn’t take much to throw you over the edge. Just curious- what’s the highest altitude you guys have smoked at? ...and on the subject of Cusco- a great city. We were there for the Christ of the Earthquake Procession- probably 200k people in the town square- we watched from a balcony on a bar. The food is very different from Lima- we had some Alpaca, Cuy (Guniea Pig) and a great OssoBucco at a Fusion Peruvian-Italian restaurant.
2qwilmr.jpg

wmf5uv.jpg

Greta- the look on her face when a baby Alpaca peed on her

2ngc2t5.jpg

29yk02q.jpg

2e0kcns.jpg

Alpaca

2quu06u.jpg

2r7lmc0.jpg

Cuy Al Horno (Guniea Pig With Horns)

sxkn7d.jpg

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Great pics Zack, thanks for sharing them. That Guinea Pig looks yummy, I would definitely eat that. I hear you about the altitude, it is brutal when you aren't used to it. I went skiing in Colorado above the tree line at around 12K feet on my second day there and thought my heart was going to burst out of my chest Alien style. Altitude sickness is no joke, be careful buddy.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
The highest I've smoked at was Colorado Springs which is 6,000 and like being in a basin compared to where you're at. I didn't notice any difference in smoking but the altitude and thinner air started hitting me a bit on the third or fourth day. I can't imagine what it must be like at 11,000 feet.
Looks like a great place to visit though. The guinea pig looked appetizing, I'd eat that in a heart beat. Have fun and be safe in your travels.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Too drab there. The lack of color looks like North Korea. Especially the clothes.
north-korea-window-on-north-korea-jpeg20-580x386.jpg

P

pipebuddy

The highest altitude I had a smoke was after doing the Incline (the Manitou Incline) in Colorado Springs, so I'll reckon, 8500 ft.

lawmax3

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2013
Enjoy yourself! looks like an interesting place.

Nicotine...I wonder if climbing the cellphone tower...aaah, never mind.. :nana:

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

Looks fun. I've always wanted to travel to that part of the world. Thanks for the pics!

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Back in Lima at sea level...what a relief! We can breathe again! This has been a really fun trip..We know how good Peruvian food is...but were shocked at the incredible food we saw on this trip- some of the best I've had in all the traveling we've done...

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Did you see any pipe/cigar smokers around
None...a few cigarette smokers at the wedding we went to, but they were Italians...
We saw a fair amount of pipe tobacco in pouches with really ugly pictures of cancer eaten noses and other exciting things. I coudn’t get excited about buying it. we are going to the only real pipe and cigar shop in Lima today....and if those guys have 47 cans of dusty Christmas Cheer sitting on the shelf- I’m buying it all...and paying for my trip with the sale proceeds....:)

Status
Not open for further replies.