PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldmooner

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 22, 2011
Sherman, Texas
Perhaps one or two of you would be so kind as to explain to me what the term "high end" means when used by folks on this forum. I've seen the term being thrown around quite often and have yet to completely understand the meaning. Since I have been told in another post that there is no snobbishness around here, I wonder what a "high end" pipe or tobacco might be. Expensive? Rare? Designer? Carved by someone "famous"? Straight grain? If someone says they only smoke "high end" pipes, whazat mean?

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
That can mean a lot of different things to different people. Some would say "more expensive", more would probably agree, "of the hightest quality available". This is obviously very subjective. An artisan-made pipe over $200 would qualify as high-end for me. The key there being the maker's individual attention to the pipe's appearance, function and quality of construction. A $500 Castello or Dunhill may be the bar for someone else. The pipe's age, condition and rarity are a factor, too, as you mentioned.
Liking only the "High End" stuff isn't necessarily equivalent to snobbery, though. Some would just rather have one artisan-made $400 pipe vs. a pile of cobs, meers, basket pipes and a couple of decent Petes or Savs that would ultimately cost the buyer the same amount of money in the long run. I happen to fall into the latter category. I still drool over the expensive ones, though.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Personally, I consider a "high end" pipe as one being drilled, shaped and finished by hand and fitted with a hand cut stem. The engineering, materials, and execution are also of the highest caliber.
Note: I'm defining "high end" as a matter of production and quality, not necessarily price

jwp159

Can't Leave
Jan 1, 2010
I believe the meaning is in the eye of the beholder or the one holding the wallet. It's different with different people. I have some old 1950 kaywoodie's and Dr Grabow's that to me are high end because of how old the briar is and how rare they are( and how well they smoke) but to others it may be the price tag or that they are hand carved. Normally it does have something to do with how well they function. When i speak of high end tobacco I am talking about tinned blends or bulks from some of the better blenders. It has to do with quality and price. I smoke a lot of drug store blends and I enjoy them. To me they are like Miller Lite, a real good beer. the high end tobacco is like a nice micro brew aka a great beer. I love a good micro brew but can't afford it all the time so I drink a lot of Miller. Hope this Helps :puffy:

oldmooner

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 22, 2011
Sherman, Texas
So, it is like a Rolls Royce vs Chevy or a Rolex vs Timex. Both do the job, but one has been deemed the best or "high end" by someone. As in "this is my rifle, this is my gun. This is for fighting, this is for fun." OK

guitarguy86

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2012
I'm new to pipe smoking, so take what I say with a grain of salt, but I'm happy with my $55 briar. I would consider it to be average, judging by other pipes that were in the shoppe.

Jul 12, 2011
+1 w/Bigvan
All those qualities can be found for under $200. (even unsmoked)

you just have to enjoy the thrill of the hunt...I know I sure do/feed

your PAD Dragon brothers ;-)

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
@nsfisher

My kind of pipes are $5.00-$100.00. I consider mid range $100.00-250.00, anything above that I consider high end. No I don't have any lol.
I don't think I've ever been in more agreement with you buddy ... except for the last part. I'm lucky enough to have some, but my personal definition is the same as yours, and I happend to have a few Grabows, and even a $9.98 Lucienne.
@bigvan

Personally, I consider a "high end" pipe as one being drilled, shaped and finished by hand and fitted with a hand cut stem. The engineering, materials, and execution are also of the highest caliber.
Note: I'm defining "high end" as a matter of production and quality, not necessarily price
I think this is an excellent definition too.
@barkar

girlfriend vs a blowup doll
LMAO!

Status
Not open for further replies.