Hiding the pipes in devoted Christian household?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaq6q

Might Stick Around
Jul 5, 2015
Hello gents,
Here is the problem...

I am going to stay with my parents in Korea few weeks later. Currently, I am living with my brother and sister, and they do not mind the fact that I smoke as much as my parents would. I am sure that my parents will kill me if they found the pipe smoker side of me. My dad is a pastor and our family is devoted Christian household. I do not believe that smoking a pipe is sinful, if done moderately and wisely. But I do not think that I can convince my parents that pipe smoking is a relaxing, soothing hobby, rather than a detrimental, cancer-causing devil.
Therefore when I stay in Korea, I just cannot put the pipes on the table like I am doing here in US. And only place that I can "hide" is the box and the box going into the closet or the bookshelf with compartments. But I am afraid that by doing so, the quality of pipes and/or tobacco will be damaged. Is there a way that I can keep the pipes hidden without damaging the quality of the pipes? Or is it a pipe dream wanting to get two birds in one stone? Will putting them in the box and keeping them in the closet be the only way that I can hide the pipe and its scent?
Thank you for the answers in advance!

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Ask your pastor-father where in the Bible smoking is condemned. I believe there was a great preacher by the name of Spurgeon who defended his cigar habit quite convincingly. If you're not inhaling, or smoking to abuse nicotine, then you're doing no harm to "God's temple".

Reactions: aspiring_sage

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Smoking a pipe puts you into the company of famous Christian writers like Chesterton and Lewis. Perhaps you can make that case to your folks.

janosh

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2015
Hungary
Hi! I'm also work as a pastor and I'm smoking (as many in my congregation). I don't think of it as a sin, it's a hobby. It is all about tasting - like a great steak ;) But as I know, your culture is totally different and I understand your parents reaction and don't believe that you can convince them. How long would you stay with your parents ? Can you just keep a long rest from smoking ?
I just found this video for you, hope it helps:https://youtu.be/mxe8v5y6lhM

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
Nice Spurgeon reference. He's considered the "Prince of Preachers" and definitely one of the greatest preachers in history. And he smoked cigars.
My advice to you is this: Don't smoke when visiting your parents. If you can't give up smoking for a few weeks in deference to them, then you may have a problem with smoking.
I'm not saying you should hide it (admit you smoke if asked), but what I am saying is you should defer to your parents when visiting them. That is the real Christian issue in my opinion.
If you try to hide pipes and sneak smokes while visiting, I guarantee it will not end well.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Simple really: Honor your parents or stay with your pipes. Just asking for input indicates a lack of self-confidence and selfishness. You already know the correct answer or you would not be seeking outside support for you childish rebellion.
I'd go with honoring your parent's beliefs, especially in their home. Accepting a minor inconvenience for yourself shows respect and love. Why in the world would you even think of trying to change their beliefs over such an insignificant matter? This situation has nothing to do with the pipe and everything to do with your familial relationships.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Why in the world would you even think of trying to change their beliefs over such an insignificant matter?
Because their objection to pipe smoking is wrong-headed?
There's talk of honoring one's parents. Well, I suppose so, if you intend to be a guest in their house.

But what about them accepting their son? Isn't that a test of their Christian charity?

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
In answer to your question though hiding pipes in a closet shouldn't hurt them. I would recommend individually socking them though.

janosh

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2015
Hungary
@Cortez keep in mind that's not about only Christianity or charity; Christianity in a very very specific cultural context: Korea.

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
Because their objection to pipe smoking is wrong-headed?
There's talk of honoring one's parents. Well, I suppose so, if you intend to be a guest in their house.

But what about them accepting their son? Isn't that a test of their Christian charity?
Nope. "Christian charity" has nothing to do with "accepting" whatever comes down the pike.
There's an entire issue in the Bible devoted to the OP's question and which is the eating-meat-sacrificed-to-idols controversy in the early church. It wasn't a sin, but some church members were strongly opposed to the practice. The answer was: Defer to your brother's sensibilities and don't do it in front of him.
The exact same principle applies here.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
You won't hurt the pipes, but I doubt you'll be able to hide the smell coming from the pipes or the smoke smell on your person.
For what it's worth, I usually leave my pipes at home when I visit my parents. They don't have an issue with my pipe smoking, but they don't smoke and I assume they prefer I not smoke at their house, so I don't. Going without the pipes periodically also allows me to prove to myself I'm not addicted. Same with vacation, as most hotels, B&B's, etc. don't allow smoking outside of certain areas and I'm usually way too busy with the kids to take time off.
If you want the hard-ass version of my advice, see Warren's post above.
Also, why worry about pipes when you have daily access to great Korean food?

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
"There's an entire issue in the Bible devoted to the OP's question and which is the eating-meat-sacrificed-to-idols controversy in the early church. It wasn't a sin, but some church members were strongly opposed to the practice. The answer was: Defer to your brother's sensibilities and don't do it in front of him."
seacaptain: The Scripture to which you refer is found in 1 Corinthians, Chapter 8, and, sadly, I had completely forgotten about it. Your advice is sound, thus I withdraw my previous advice.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
What a random first post. That one might take the cake as the most interesting new member post i have ever read on here.
As to the topic at hand, i am not a fan of organized religion so that aspect i will not address. In regards to the parents issue, i respect and love my parents very much and appreciate the way they raised me to be the man i am today. I am proud of the way i was raised. That said, i am a grown man and if i want to smoke a pipe i am going to smoke a pipe. Would i do it in there house or even outside at their house if they requested i did not? Absolutely not, that would be disrespectful and selfish. Would i try to hide my pipes if they would not allow me to bring them into their house? I honestly don't know but probably if i had no where else to store them, but i would store them in a container that would not emit the stench of burnt tobacco. I find it strange to be so strict on a completely legal and legit hobby, to the point that they would "kill me if they found the pipe smoker side of me". Actually, if my parents would not let me stay with them because i smoked a pipe, i probably would find somewhere else to stay. Respect is a two way street.
Good luck with your situation and i hope it works out for the best. Oh and welcome to the forum.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Jaq6q, These are some inexpensive books you can currently order on Amazon to give to your dad. As the guys have mentioned above Charles Hayden Spurgeon aka "The Prince of Preachers" was a devoted cigar man. He was also the leading evangelist of the 18th Century.

He is frequently quoted by the pastors and priests of many denominations on matters of Christian Living and Theology. Chances are if your father pastors an evangelical congregation he is familiar with Spurgeon.
The Christian Gentleman's Smoking Companion: A Celebration of Smoking to the Glory of God by Ted Kluck on Amazon
Christian Pipe-Smoking: An Introduction to Holy Incense Kindle Edition

by Uri Brito (Author), Joffre Swait (Author)
I never smoked in my parents home or anyone else's for that matter that did not smoke or had not invited me to do so. I have and do smoke outside when these situations arise.
Having said that what is wrong with leaving it in your a travel bag. I am not saying to hide it but to avoid it being a problem for your mom or dad who may not want to smell tobacco in their home. Which is after all their right. I am assuming you have a proper bag or container for your pipes in order to transport them safely anywhere.
All my best in resolving the situation.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
All of the above, or, you could simply leave them at home and enjoy a respite for a couple of weeks. That's what I do. And when I get back from a trip and load up a bowl I find that the taste is clearer because I've given my mouth a rest.

Sjmiller CPG

(sjmiller)
May 8, 2015
Morgan County, Tennessee
While seacaptain does have a valid point in regards to 1 Cor 8, I would have to have to agree with layinpipe in regards to simply finding another place to stay. In this instance, Christianity is a two way street. While 1 Cor 8, should be taken into account, so should Matthew 7:3 ""Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?" because, as Romans 3:23 tells us, "for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God".
On a final note, this is in reference to someone believing that smoking is a sin. I do not as one must remember that of all the plants of the earth, man was only denied the fruit of the tree of knowledge.
If anyone else covered this while I was typing, I apologize for the double post.

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
While seacaptain does have a valid point in regards to 1 Cor 8, I would have to have to agree with layinpipe in regards to simply finding another place to stay. In this instance, Christianity is a two way street. While 1 Cor 8, should be taken into account, so should Matthew 7:3 ""Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?" because, as Romans 3:23 tells us, "for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God".
sjmiller - I'm not trying to be argumentative (with you or anyone else), truly I'm not, so I hope my reply is not taken that way. I appreciate your comments.
I would like to add some clarification to Matthew 7 though. People seem to love that verse, particularly the "Judge not" part. If you read the entire verse in context, you'll find that the speck/plank illustration isn't about sinning in general. Indeed we are all sinners as you rightly note in Rom 3:23. It's also not about never judging anyone.
Matt 7 isn't generalizing and saying that because we have all sinned in some way, that we are forbidden to judge any sin. In fact the opposite. You'll notice that you should first "remove the plank from your own eye, then you'll see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye". In other words, this is an illustration to not be a hypocrite if you're going to judge others (remove the speck from their eye).
A real world illustration would be that if a Christian is going to tell a brother to stop committing adultery (remove the speck), then he better not be committing adultery himself (plank in his own eye). It would be completely legitimate for a brother who isn't committing adultery (seeing clearly without a plank) to judge (remove the speck) from a fellow Christian who may be committing adultery.
All that being said, I don't think that applies in this situation anyway since smoking isn't a sin (being addicted to smoking is another issue). Even if it did apply, Matt 7 would only be applicable if his parents condemned his smoking, while at the same time were smoking themselves.
This has definitely become an interesting discussion at any rate. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.