Hi, Y'all, I'm new here and to pipes but I love Nightcap.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

werebear

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 13, 2014
So like the title says I'm a newbie but I really like Dunhill's Nightcap. Is this strange?

latbomber

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2013
Welcome! And not at all. As a previous cigar smoker I immediately took to the dark side (hence the name)

redbeard

Jan 2, 2013
Welcome!! And not one bit, I also started to like lat blends pretty quickly. To each his/her own.

grouchydog

Can't Leave
Oct 16, 2013
Strange, maybe. Unusual, maybe. Anything to worry about? Nope!
I'm a newb too - I was smoking aromatics and a few VA's for a while. Then I tried MM965 and the bulb lit up, so to speak. Recently, pretty all I've smoked is 965, Penzance and Nightcap. :)

anglesey

Can't Leave
Jan 15, 2014
Nothing wrong with that. No idea why everyone recommends aromatics like lane 1Q or whatever. It's like saying to someone who's never drunk before, try this WKD, it tastes like pop. Doesnt mean it tastes good though.

transmutated

Might Stick Around
Apr 9, 2014
I can't stand the notion that those new to pipes should start with the lighter blends or the aromatics. Dunhill Nightcap & Royal Yacht, Peterson Irish Flake; these (amongst many other blends I've come across in the 4 months since I got my first pipe) are the things that rock my world as a new pipe smoker.
Also, when I've come across pipe smokers around town, the high strength tobacco smokers have been very friendly and talkative while the aromatic smokers have bee aloof and unfriendly. I wonder if I've uncovered something here.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
Also, when I've come across pipe smokers around town, the high strength tobacco smokers have been very friendly and talkative while the aromatic smokers have bee aloof and unfriendly. I wonder if I've uncovered something here.
Maybe due to the absolute absence of nicotine in aromatics?
Does nicotine make you a Chatty Cathy?

werebear

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 13, 2014
I also like SG's 1792 and something called Voodoo Queen but I don't know who makes it. And why smoke something that smells good, rather than something that tastes good anyway. Could you guys recommend any tobaccos for me?

werebear

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 13, 2014
@transmutated, My wife would definitely describe me as friendly and talkative, probably too much so at times.

tlag77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2013
I tried to like aros for about 2 or 3 bowls, then I tried Peterson IF, it was over from there. I love 3 Oaks Syrian, MM 965,OGS and....and...I can't wait to keep trying more.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Welcome. It is impressive that a new piper should start with latakia blends and even more impressive that you should get into SG 1792 so quickly. I think you'll fit in nicely here. There are many blends that give oomph to the smoking experience. since you seem like a bold person Peterson's University Flake may be in your wheelhouse. You should explore Cornell & Diehl's site as well since they offer nearly 300 blends for al palates.

Glad you here and keep us posted on your experiences.

msandoval858

Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
Welcome! Thankfully there's no rule on what you are supposed to start with. If you like Nightcap, obviously you have good tastes :puffy:

transmutated

Might Stick Around
Apr 9, 2014
zekest and werebear - I based this on meeting 2 other pipe smokers. Plus I think there's some disputatious attention seeking going on there in my comment.
Let me give my ridiculous comment some context. Of the 2 pipe smokers I've met/seen since I started smoking pipes; One came up to me while I was smoking my cob and started talking to me about pipe smoking and strong tobaccos. The second one was last night; he's stood right outside my work as I'm leaving, he's smoking aromatic tobacco. I say very politely "hey, can I ask what you're smoking?" He answers "no".
I mean c'mon, if that isn't an excuse for me to sound off...I don't know what is.
Obviously a stupid comment though. Apologies..

werebear

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 13, 2014
Any good online tobacco stores? The closest place to me to get pipe tobacco, atleast something other than carter hall, captain black, prince albert, velvet, and sir walter raleigh, is about an hour and a halfs drive.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Smoke what you like and like what you smoke. Dunhill Nightcap was one of the first English blends I ever tried many years ago and it's still one of my favorites. With so many new smokers coming over from cig habits or heavy cigar smoking can easily handle the higher nicotine blends and the only real advice I can offer for them is just to NOT inhale. Pipe smoking is more about pleasure and enjoyment and less about delivering a nicotine hit although there is absorption.

werebear

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 13, 2014
Everyone, I just got my middle earth sampler from justforhim.com, Ihaven't even opened it yet. :D

Mar 31, 2014
I may sound like a broken record, but is you ever want to kick it up a couple of notches from Nightcap, I highly recommend Cornell & Diehl's Billy Budd.
And, since you seem to be into the whole LOTR thing, you really ought to check out "FloggleWerks" on etsy for all wood churchwardens. She uses some odd woods, but I've read she'll send you another pipe for free if your first one quits early. She's also starting to use briar...

Status
Not open for further replies.