PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

davey

Lurker
Mar 31, 2014
Hi guys, I'm looking to take up pipe smoking. I'll start by saying I am a large tolkien fan and I have set my eyes on an churchwarden.
Specifically this one; http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/The-Hobbit-The-Pipe-of-Bilbo-Baggins-Working-Replica-Lord-of-the-Rings-/291054118774?pt=UK_Collectables_SciFi_fantasyCollectables_EH&hash=item43c42d6776&_uhb=1
I've been scouring the endless nooks and crannies of the internet to find any kind of review as to whether this pipe is of reputable design and function. I am looking to occasionally smoke out of it so I would like to know whether this was made in some chinese sweatshop or is of good design and will be able to handle use. I also couldn't find what wood it was even made from so I'm coming here to see if I can get some opinions as to what I should do. I really want a functioning tolkien replica whether it be Gandalfs or Bilbo's pipe. My budget is about $150.00 max which leaves the Vauen pipes well out of my reach.
Any help and opinions as to whether I should buy this pipe or not and if not recommendations as to which pipe I should buy would be greatly appreciated.

eolverine

Lurker
Mar 23, 2014
Canada
It's not a bad idea to inquire about exactly what type of wood they use. I see that it has oak accents on the sides, but the bowl itself might not be made of a very good wood. Doesn't hurt to message the seller and ask

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
The fact that it is licensed is meaningless with regard to the quality of manufacture. If the Noble Collection is the same as Vogue Noble then it is the product of a Chinese factory. Personally, I'd recommend that you look at reputable makers to see what they have that would work for you.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
The guys are right. It might be a neat thing to have, but that doesn't mean it's a good pipe to smoke.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Have you ever smoked a pipe?

It might be wise to determine if you'd enjoy it, prior to dropping $150 in to it. There are in excess of 800 listings on eBay for churchwardens, in part no doubt, due to Tolkien fans who discover that they do not care for pipe smoking.

anglesey

Can't Leave
Jan 15, 2014
Seconded woodsroad. I'm sure many here will agree when I say it's an acquired taste, so don't drop vast amount on it. Also, that looks like a replica. You probably could smoke it, in that you could put tobacco in it and it would burn, but I don't imagine it would be pleasant or the pipe would last long. Personally I find taking inspiration to smoke a pipe from a book a bit vapid, and if one is serious then a proper sturdy briar should be of most importance over looks.

virginiacob

Can't Leave
Dec 30, 2013
Another thought to consider is what tobacco blends do you like? There are a wide variety of blends out there from Virginia/Burley blends to Latakia to aromatic blends and so forth. Pipe smokers on this forum all have their favorite blends that they have come to enjoy and they typically have arrived at those blends after sampling various tobaccos first. It would be a shame to sink big bucks in a nice pipe and then to smoke a tobacco blend in it that you find you really hate and have it leave traces of its essence and flavoring in the pipe (referred to as "ghosting"). You might want to consider buying some tobacco samplers in order to try different blends for yourself and you might want to pick up 2 or 3 inexpensive pipes that you could use to test these different blends without running into the ghosting issue. Corn cob pipes, whether Old Dominion (the cob pipes I manufacture) or Missouri Meerschaum (MM) can be purchased for under $10 each and require no break-in period as briars and make good starter pipes. Once you decide whether or not you enjoy pipe smoking as well as what blends you like, then you can decide if you want to invest your money in more expensive pipes.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Virginiacob's suggestions are spot on. Although it may not conform to the look and style that you are seeking to acquire, cob pipes are your best bet if you want to find out if smoking a pipe will suit your tastes. Check out vendors like 4Noggins for tobacco samplers that will give you an array of tastes, aromas and strengths to try.
I'll just reiterate here that smoking a pipe is not about style. Much.

sfsteves

Lifer
Aug 3, 2013
SF Bay Area
davey said:

Hi I'm new.
Hi, davey ... I'm old ... I became enamored with the idea of smoking a pipe before I was out of high school ... first experience was nothing like I expected ... which didn't deter me, since I was so entranced with the idea of smoking a pipe ... in college years, I got several different pipes and bought a number of different blends of tobacco but realization continued to fall short of anticipation ...
It was only after I was out of school and in the real world that a co-worker who was an experienced pipe smoker saw what I'd been smoking ... he aimed me in the direction of a quality pipe and quality blends to pack it with. Even then, it was only after a period of trial and error before I found what I liked and equally important, what I did not ... had I been less enthusiastic about the idea of pipe smoking, I'd not have survived that journey ...
Based on experience, I'd recommend you follow the advise you're getting here from guys who I can assure you know what they're talking about and have been at this long enough that they can steer you around the pitfalls and aim you in the right direction ...

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If you can stand postponing the churchwarden, I think trying pipe smoking with a Missouri Meerschaum

or Old Dominion corn cob pipe would be a great way to learn to smoke a pipe and decide how well you

like it. Start with a mild tobacco like Lanes 1Q or LL-7, or Carter Hall or Prince Albert. You'll need a

tamper (pipe nail or Czech tool), matches, and pipe cleaners. When you get to a churchwarden, I'd

recommend one of the moderately priced Savenelli's. You'll need special longer pipe cleaners for the

churchwarden.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Welcome!

Buy a Missouri Meerschaum pipe in the shape you like, then go to www.walkersbriarworks.com and get a Churchwarden Forever Stem. That way you have one pipe with a standard stem, and a churchwarden stem with very little money invested.
MM cobs are very forgiving and are great for a new smoker, as well as experienced. If you feel really daring, buy 2 cobs and you have an instant rotation, and can change the stems as the mood suits.
Save your money to buy a good briar after you know if this is really what you want.

sfsteves

Lifer
Aug 3, 2013
SF Bay Area
plateauguy suggested:

Buy a Missouri Meerschaum pipe in the shape you like, then go to

http://www.walkersbriarworks.com and get a Churchwarden Forever Stem
Now THAT shows the value of being a part of this forum ... I'd completely forgotten about their churchwarden stems but think that's a fabulous suggestion ...
Another thing I overlooked in my earlier response was that the advise to skip buying the novelty pipe is almost certain to be the way to go if you intend to smoke the pipe ... novelty items are meant to be novel, not practical ... Jud was absolutely right in his assessment that it might be a cool thing for a Lord of the Rings fan to own but it's not at all likely to be a pipe that you would enjoy smoking ... which is to say, you might really enjoy owning that pipe as a novelty but there is an infinitesimally small chance you would ever enjoy actually smoking it ...

davey

Lurker
Mar 31, 2014
Can I get some opinions on this pipe as to whether I should buy it or not?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Long-Smoking-Tobacco-Pipe-Deep-Bowl-Gandalf-Wizard-Churchwarden-Style-9-Pipe-/310866976058

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Most of the "hobbit" pipes you'll find are props or replicas or something made of questionable materials made by someone who isn't a pipe maker. These are not real pipes.
If you want to join us in the world of pipes, there are many fine pieces of advise you can follow. Personally I don't think churchwardens are the best "rookie pipe" as they take a particular draw and cadence that's a bit different than that of a normal sized pipe (or at least it is for me).
Otherwise grab a wood stemmed churchwarden, a cloak and start growing hair on top of your feet and have great time!

davey

Lurker
Mar 31, 2014
Hi guys, well I think I may have found myself a nice 'Wicked Warden' briar pipe but in terms of why I'm so hung over Churchwarden's is because I believe that's what I would typically enjoy, I have smoked from a corn-cob before and I'm not a stranger to smoking, I'm just a stranger to proper pipe smoking. I'm pretty familiarised with tobacco blends and such (I might start off with aromatics first and then move onto a virginia / english blend). And no I'm not going to go on about the environment and rubber and such haha.

olewaylon

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2012
Just admit it, you are going to a LOTR convention and want a prop?! Im sure the hobbit feet slippers will go great with that pipe but It will smoke like Ork Shat.

You can find Savinelli Churchwardens for under $70. They are out there. Those pipes seem like they are more for the teenager, Cosplay, movie fan memorabilia bunch. My daughter, as kind and young as she is, bought me one of those movie wardens for Christmas off of Amazon a couple of years ago, when I had just started the hobby, and they are not for smoking. It will just taste like burning wood, and gurgle like an angry badger. They just aren't designed to smoke. I have mine on the wall. If you want something cheap and a good smoker, you can't go wrong with a Savinelli Warden. Just stick a Hobbit sticker on it, and there you go, ha ha.
edit: Oh I almost forgot... Welcome to the forum. :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.