Hi All new guy with a tobacco question - What do you think of this label?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

120 Fresh Peterson Pipes
12 Fresh Ser Jacopo Pipes
New Cigars
36 Fresh Nørding Pipes
23 Fresh Bruno Nuttens Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
First, Hello to all on the forum. I'm new to pipe smoking. I live in Central Alberta, Canada and my daily pipe is a VAUEN Meerschaum lined. I started with a Brigham but the Meerschaum lined is so nice it has become my favorite pipe.
Anyway, as any newbie I'm trying tobaccos. I get a sample and smoke the entire sample before trying something else and try to distinguish flavor and aromas at varies points of the bowl. What an adventure!

I have included a picture I took of the bulk jar label of one of the two tobaccos I decided to start with. Tobacco here in Central Alberta is very expensive. 10 grams of this cost me $10.00. I asked the salesperson at the smoke shop I have bought my pipes and meager accessories from if they blended this themselves and what proportions. I didn't really hold out any hope that they would tell me how or how much of this or that they used to blend it and I was correct. The sales person was very elusive and that's cool with me. I get it. But she did say they bought bulk tobacco from a number of different places and then put together this stuff.

Now I have been doing a lot of reading and researching and this is my take on what they are selling. I really like this tobacco. Of course I don't really have much of a baseline. But looking at the ingredients and comparing to what I think is close from 4noggins and SmokingPipes.com; I think this is real close to a Captain Black Royal or a Lane Limited 1Q
I generally smoke two bowls a day. I'm 61 and never smoked a day in my life until last week. I can see going up to 3 bowls a day as my enjoyment increases. You can see how expensive that would be at $10.00 for 10 grams.
So what do you guys and gals thinks? I realize it's a guessing game but I would appreciate any comments or opinions.
Thank you for any opinions or comments.

Chris in Red Deer, Alberta

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
Hard to beat 1Q for a nice mild aromatic, that and Captain Black Red Sky are my go to aromatics. I'm in New Brunswick and feel your pain on the prices. Just remember to keep your online orders small, four tins/ounces to avoid extra charges on receiving it. Good luck with your sampling adventure.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
Based on the description on the label, my guess is that it's probably Lane's RLP-6. The reason I say that is that there's no Burley in 1-Q, but RLP-6 has all three of those tobaccos.
Russ

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Thanks guys. I really appreciate the information. Man I tell you. I just got off the phone with two shops located in British Columbia. What a bunch of rip-off artists!

A 50 gram pouch of Captain Black Royal is $41.95 50 grams = 1.76 ounces.

4noggins sell a 12oz tin = 340grams for $38.00

100 grams of bulk for $72.95

grams = 3.52oz!

I'll be buying all my product from our southern neighbors.

Chris in Red Deer, Alberta

cornleader

Might Stick Around
Mar 8, 2015
I live in Nova Scotia. My last order got hit at customs. Duty/taxes cost more then the order. After shipping, still cheaper then buying local.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Yeah,

I realize the Canadian fuckusment really screws both the retailer and the consumer over huge!

mranglophile

Can't Leave
May 11, 2015
United States
I thought I had it bad it Washington State but I'll shut up. I dont know about Senoir Black but the local B&M sells 50g tins of the fancy stuff for $20-$30 with no rhyme or reason....SG Four Seasons collection are $18 but 100g of Rattrays are $54 (they will sell it by the ounce)....I think Capistan is $32 and Dunhill Flake around $22....still alot better than $41 Captain Black pouches. Normally I order online but I make a point to stop in and buy something just to keep them open and they do have nice bulk tobacco(FVF, Red Cake and ODF).

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Welcome to the forum. 4noggins.com and smokingpipes.com are the two vendors most used by our brothers to the north. Check their prices, they are tough to beat.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Alot of B&M'S will just slap a label on something like a Lane blend, the one in my city does it to McClellend's blends and just change the name. They very well could've put it together but you'll find alot of blends that are pretty similar if you're looking for something along those lines from Lane, Sutliff, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.