PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

judcasper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
Hi, all. UK pipe smoker here - pretty much a virgin pipe smoker (or any kind of smoker for that matter). So far I've only done what I suspect many newbies do - buy an ultra cheap pipe and a pack of mini cigars to use as baccy.
Anyway, point I'm making is that as bad a start as this is, it was enough to tell me it's something I want to pursue. So far my attempts, even with a cheap pipe and mini cigar baccy, have shown me how utterly relaxing a hobby this could be. When I sit and start puffing on my pipe I fall into an almost zen-like calmness.
I have many questions, obviously, so your patience permitting, I look forward to learning from you chaps!

judcasper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
Thank you, @crashthegrey.
I love that pipe in your avo - I'm a huge fan of the small pipe (or do you just have the stem really far into your mouth?) :)
I forget to mention in my intro that I don't have a beard. Is this going to be a problem as a pipe smoker?

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
That is a very short pipe. It is a Morgan Pipes Blackjack stubby anse. He has distribution in parts of Europe, you may find it there. There is a Bones version which is less expensive than the Blackjack, basically no stain and a light coating of wax. Lol at the beard. I think it is just an odd coincidence that so many of us are bearded.

judcasper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
Welcome. Can you grow a beard?
Thanks. And to be honest I don't think I can. I've tried but I think I'd go insane before I could get beyond the itching/face irritation stage.
That is a very short pipe. It is a Morgan Pipes Blackjack stubby anse. He has distribution in parts of Europe, you may find it there.

Thank you. I'll go do some digging.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Welcome from Illinois. I'm 59 and still can't grow a full beard. It's a good thing that beards aren't mandatory for the forum.

judcasper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
Hi to all the additional welcomers!
Seems like I picked a good place :)
@mikethomson, I love the Pirates of the Caribbean films. Does that count?

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Yes, welcome from Texas!
jay-roger.jpg

bentbob

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 13, 2015
Get yourself some decent pipe tobacco - plenty of good tobacconist online in the UK. I'd start off with an English blend if your already enjoying cigar tobacco, but there is more choice than you'll have time to smoke.

judcasper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
Thanks again for all the additional welcomes :)
@bentbob - did you take your name from Red Dwarf by any chance?
I'd start off with an English blend if your already enjoying cigar tobacco
Probably a subject for a thread of its own, but in my head I think I'd like something 'mellow and creamy'.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Welcome aboard. A good briar pipe and some real pipe tobacco, it will be a whole new day.

judcasper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
Thanks, mso :)
Just found a website, thanks to another member, selling budget briars for £8.99 - don't know if they'd turn out to be a false economy at that price, but certainly my price range.

bentbob

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 13, 2015
Judcasper,
did you take your name from Red Dwarf by any chance?
No mate, never worked in catering. A fellow piper was taking the piss out of my preference for bents.
'mellow and creamy'
Give Squadron Leader or Commonwealth Mixture a try.
If that's a Mr Brog pipe you have, they are OK but just be careful of the tenon - they have a habit of breaking. A MM cob is always a good buy and a good choice for trying lots of different tobaccos.
Whereabouts in the UK are you?

Status
Not open for further replies.