PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
How good is it? Would someone who likes ODF but not the average Burley blend be taking a big risk? I wouldn't usually go big on a blend I haven't tried but I am tempted by the holiday pack. While I know it's a risk regardless of feedback, I tend to trust you folks more than just skimming reviews. What are your thoughts on this blend?

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
I find it a deeply satisfying smoke. Fragrant, piney, smokey and sweet. It has a creamy and rich smoke.

harlockfan

Might Stick Around
May 8, 2014
I love it. I am definitely a fan of it. Coupled along with Old Dark Fired and Arcadian Perique is all I would need for a longtime. That is saying a lot considering how much I love Dunhill tobaccos.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Thank folks, I appreciate it. Sounds like it's worth the risk or tradeable at the very least

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I love it. I've cellared a decent amount of it. Here's my review if it will help:
This is a smooth and creamy latakia dominant blend, well balanced by the other ingredients. The Kentucky is noticeable here and there, and adds a pleasing burley note and a hint of spice that takes a back seat in the latter department to the Oriental and Turkish components. Quality light and dark Virginias give a solid base to the blend, adding the natural sweetness one would expect from them. I am surprised that a Balkan with this much latakia is not a lat-bomb, which works to the favor of my personal taste. Smokey and woodsy, it is like a better, bolder version of Gawith's Squadron Leader without the hay taste, a more pleasing naturally sweet Virginia base, and light spice. The components are well mixed, resulting in a consistent tasting mixture that burns even and cool. One match and you may finish without relighting. Made for smokers who want a semi-complex tasting creamy mild to medium English blend. Your friends will smell it and think you've started a campfire in your den.

eightywon

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 4, 2014
I love ODF, one of my favorites, but not a big fan of the VS. I can send you some VS with about 8 years on it if you want to try before you buy- not sure what the holiday pack is.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Thanks folks, I appreciate it. Eightywon, I sent a pm. Very nice review JimInks, you have a gift for describing tobaccos. You all are like the opposite of Pipe Smokers Anonymous, which is to say I am in good company. :lol:

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
SP did it right too... you get free shipping with $95 purchase. They could have been $%^holes and charged $94.99 for these.

Great deal really........

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
I wish I hadn't seen that. Thanks...

I know the feeling....... Great deal but I'm stocked on the ODF and Lat Flake. I'm with you eightywon--- the VS just doesn't do it for me.

Just noticed... we joined the same time, and our post #'s are within 1 post of each other... Does that make us some sort of Cosmic Pipe-mates or somethin'? :lol:

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I've never smoked ODF, so I can't compare.

That being said,HH VS is a staple in my rotation. It is frequently my first bowl of the day. It is definitely lat forward. It's also quite different from most lat heavy blends.

The only reason I wouldn't follow up on that offer is that I don't want the jar. :puffy:

escioe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 31, 2013
It's fine, but there are dozens of other latakia blends I'd rather have two pounds of.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
It's fine, but there are dozens of other latakia blends I'd rather have two pounds of.
What's fine about it? What are the 24 - 36 other Latakia blends that you'd prefer to cellar? Why do you prefer them to HHVS? The dude is looking for insight, not ambiguous dismissal, of Vintage Syrian.
-- Pat

Status
Not open for further replies.