PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Got my 5 tins in yesterday from SPC (their shipping is wonderfully quick) and it is an excellent smoke. I will be the first to say that i am not good at reviews and describing intricate nuances in tobacco blends. I know what i like in my head, but find it hard to discern specific flavors like "raisins" or "nutty" and put it into words of comparison. Anyways, i'll keep it short and sweet. If you are a fan of latakia in the slightest bit and like a smoother slow burning tobacco as well as the flake style blends period, then GO BUY THIS. Buy many tins if you are able to. The deal SPC has now with 20% off is ridiculous and i am very glad i took advantage. Bob just posted that it is back in stock on the "HH Latakia Flake Available @ Smokingpipes" thread and I just checked now and it is still in stock. Do yourself a favor and stock up, because i believe this is a blend that will only get better with age...
Happy Puffing and I hope everyone has a great weekend!!! :puffy:

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
My 5 tins are to be delivered this afternoon. Been pacing the floor in anticipation!! I agree, SPC is the BEST for speed of shipping, really like doing business with them. I too, got an Odyssey sample a few weeks ago and Loved it-- Do you like this better than the Odyssey??

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
beefeater, i can tell you that i like both better than gin, lol. :nana:
I'm not sure, i am going to have to revisit both and get at least a good 5 or 6 bowls of each. I have not smoked enought of either to make a fair judgement as of yet.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Layinpipe- Good One!! This heat wave has got me craving a few Gin & Tonics! I hear you on the judgement call....hard to make a clear choice with only a few bowls. I really did like that Odyssey blend though...

Now where is that UPS Man????

Have a good weekend!

masspiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 14, 2014
I tried to be good this month I really did. TAD bit me in the ass again. 15 tins on the way. :puffy:

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
I tried to be good this month I really did. TAD bit me in the ass again. 15 tins on the way.
^^^ mass, i literally laughed out loud on that one.
Beefy, yeah you should at least smoke a blend a few times or more to really develop a true taste for all its nuances and characteristics, as they can change from bowl to bowl. I hope the brown bomber man visits you very soon, like any minute now, lol. I would wish you a good weekend, but you have 5 tins of this stuff coming today, so it really isn't necessary. Cheers and happy puffing, brother! 8)

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Bradley, it was my pleasure and the least i could do for all the entertainment you and PMon provide me on a daily basis. I'm sure you will enjoy it in one of your many stellar pipes, but let us know your impressions when you get your order. Have a fantastic weekend, Sir. Cheers!

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
So here's the thing...
I guess people are horders by nature. Sure, buying 5 tins to get the discount is one thing, but when you're buying multiple lots of tins at once, on a limited stocked item. How about scaling back, and not clearing shelves so others can have a turn. I doubt a new blend offering is going the way of the dodo anytime soon.
The name of the game is get some to try, and move on, not see how quick we can empty the stocks. This is why you have to camp out to get the Esoterica stuff these days. I comes in stock and people buy "pallets" of it up, and then turn around and complain about the lack of availability.
Ok..my rant is done.
I did buy a tin today to sample as well as a few other items. I'm a big fan of ODF, so I'm looking forward to this one.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
derfargin, there is two sides to every coin and this is no exception. I definitely agree with your perspective and do not think it is necessary to stockpile pounds and pounds of a blend, unless it is being discontinued or something. On the other hand, i can understand not wanting to be high and dry on a blend that you love and happens to be in limited supply. If penzance were in stock right now and i could order a couple lbs. of it, i certainly would. I still have never even tried stonehaven because of the hoarders and limited availability you speak of, but with all the reading i've done and reviews i've seen i would stock a couple lbs. of the stuff in a second if given the opportunity. Worst case scenario, if i happen to not like it i sell it on ebay or to one of you fine gentleman on here (for a much more reasonable price, of course).
I say to each his own. i might not like not being able to try a blend because of the number of hoarders with eagle eyesight for clearing it out as soon as it comes off the pallet, but for some blends i would most likely do the same thing so i can't be a hypocrite. Plus, there is enough generous people on this forum and in the pipe community that it wouldn't be hard to acquire a sample or buy some off of someone.

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
It's counter-intuitive. We're only hurting ourselves, hording the small quantities available, means there's less to go around for others, which in turn creates the behavior or hording. It's a problem that feeds itself. I know what you're thinking. "Well if I don't do it, then someone else will." Unfortunately, you are correct.
I'd like to try both Penzance and Stonehaven, but there's a part of me that is glad that I haven't. Who's to say I'll even like them. Ignorance is bliss for sure, I'm just one more person that's not lining up to beat others out on buying it.
I'm still new to sampling tobacco, so I've got a long list of readily available stuff out there to sample. I'm in no hurry.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
Just got my package from smokingpipes.com. (Time from order to arrival? ~40 hours.)
I'm at my office and so have to wait until tonight to light up, but I could not resist opening the tin.
Oh. My. Goodness.
May have to leave work early today.
(ETA: bought a single tin to try it. If I like it and want more, more will be available someday. I love Penzance and try to keep some around. Sometimes it runs out and none is available. Well then I smoke something else. Never quite got the hoarder mentality on tobacco.)

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Tslex, i'm in virginia and mine took about 24 hours. It is great to be right in the center of the Mecca of the bigger online tobacco companies. I have found the ones i order from frequently to be in PA, SC, NJ or NY. None take any longer than 2 business days, most only 1. Smoking Pipes is by far my favorite. Their customer service is second to none, their pipe selection/pricing, both new and estate, is on point and their selection of tobacco is very large. They just so happen to be the fastest with their shipping, so lucky me lol.
If you like the smell, wait 'til you wrap your taste buds around the smoke it provides from your pipe! Let us know what you think when you get a chance and have a great weekend, cheers!!!

msandoval858

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
In my case I tend to buy more then I need because I share a lot of my tobacco with friends and pipe club. I usually opt for 8oz tins if they are available knowing that in reality I may get around to smoking half of that myself.
Of course this is because I'm fortunate to have friends to share this hobby with.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Beefy, glad you got your 5 coming to you, brother!
Mike, good on you brother, you exemplify the typical pipe smoker who is generous, kind and selfless when it comes to sharing his hobby with others. I'll be sure to PM you when i run out of a favorite blend, lol j/k. :lol:
rigmedic1, glad you got yours in time, let us know what you think when you get a chance to try it out.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
I guess people are horders by nature. Sure, buying 5 tins to get the discount is one thing, but when you're buying multiple lots of tins at once, on a limited stocked item. How about scaling back, and not clearing shelves so others can have a turn. I doubt a new blend offering is going the way of the dodo anytime soon.
While it's my experience that most pipers are generous to the extreme, as a general rule we're also extreme hoarders. We know, KNOW, that the Tobaccopocalypse is coming. We also know, KNOW, that the superhardtogetblend won't be in stock forever. We also know, KNOW, that in the gap between the initial launch of the product and the re-stock that prices will be high on the re-sale market (ok, not many of us are that mercenary).
I generally follow the, get in early and get out what I want, motto for new tobaccos. But I smoke so little that the three tins of HH Latakia flake I bought in Chicago will last me a year, even with all the samples I'm sending out to friends.
$0.02 in the bucket.
-- Pat

Status
Not open for further replies.