PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
And.... GO!
http://www.smokingpipes.com/tobacco/by-maker/mac-baren/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=149494
Smokingpipes is offering the same promotional pricing that MacBaren was at the Chicago Show, which is pretty nice. Definitely worth picking up for all of you who like a savoury and sweet smoke.
Happy puffing,
-- Pat

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I'm eager to try this one, but I do wish they had left out the burley. (I prefer my burley in VA/burley flakes . . . and not much else.)
But asking MacBaren to go easy on the burley is kind of like asking C&D to go easy on the burley. I realize it's not a likely scenario. :)
Bob

Strike Anywhere

Can't Leave
Nov 9, 2011
Central United States
Bob I didn't notice the burley. I tried at at the Chicago Show. It is extremely smooth for a Latakia blend. Guys that like Latakia blends will not like this one even though it's supposed to be around 25% Latakia. It's amazing how much the hot pressing changes the way Latakia peforms in the blend. No "astringent" properties you sometimes experience with Latakia, but then that smokey/spicy flavor is more muted as well. As for the burley, I really think it's there just to give a bit of body. I didn't notice it but I'm not sensitive to burley.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
TAB:
Thanks for the analysis! Like I said, I'm still eager to try this one. I love the taste of burley. . . I just don't care for the nicotine levels it brings to a blend.
I don't believe the following is the case at all with this new MacBaren blend. . . but: My personal feeling is that some blenders use burley as "filler," a way to increase the nicotine (which I think you alluded to with the word "body") without really doing much to benefit the overall flavor. For me, burley works best when it's used to supplement some fine Virginias and not when it's standing entirely on its own or as one part of a more complex blend (as in, say, Dunhill's 965, where the burley level results in harshness and nicotine overload for me).
Bob

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Thanks a ton for the heads up, Pat! I have been scouring the internet looking to purchase some of this hyped stuff. After reading a ton of great reviews all over the place, it looks like it is right up my alley so i put my order for 5 tins in and with the 20% discount on the 5 (can't believe it applies with a brand new blend) you can't beat it.
With any luck, i'll have it just in time for a guys weekend down at my hunt club down in North Cackalacky with my Dad and Brother-In-Law. Weather is shaping up to be fantastic as well, score! SPC is usually clutch with shipping UPS as they are only a couple states away from me and my order arrives overnight moste of the time. Hopefully this time will be no different.
Cheers Pat! :mrgreen: :puffpipe:

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I just ordered two tins. I've heard lots of good things about this blend from fellow members of the YouTube Pipe Community that either picked it up at the Pipe Show or had it sent to them by Mac Baren. Sounds like a good blend.

swilly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 19, 2011
The deal is very tempting. I could get 5 tins and hope that I really like it (since I enjoy Latakia). First it was Gaslight and now another appealing Latakia blend! I've been sick recently so I haven't even tried the latter yet (and they came out with the 8oz tin too). TAD is creeping up on me, so tempting to place a ~$100 order on SPC and then a ~$100 order on P&C as a preemptive graduation present.... but then there's also pipe-making equipment that I would like to save up for. Sacrifices must be made, I just don't know which one.
If I wait for this batch to sell out, that will make deciding easier, haha.
-Swilly

swilly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 19, 2011
Also, does anyone know whether these tins will have the rusting issue? Do they spray this blend with vinegar the way they do with ODF?

mrjerke

Lifer
Jun 10, 2013
Midwest
Sold out! I didn't get in on time. It's ok though, not much of a lat lover anymore. I will be interested in trying this though in due time.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
I got 5 tins of Lat Flake, 3 tins of ODF, 1 hamburger veermeister ( I did that on purpose), and a MacB Navy Flake. The TAD never ceases.

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
Sold... But clicked the "Email Me" when restocked link. 10 minuets later I'm checking my mail and Voila! Got the notice already. Was so excited! Clicked the link, got 5 tins ordered... Then noticed I just ordered 5 more tins of Old Dark Fired.... Damn! I need to read my mail, not just look at the pictures. Oh well, I like that one too. Cellar continues to grow....

antbauers

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
Being sold out saved me from another TAD purchase, especially since I just placed an order right before this was available. Should have waited a couple of days and I woulda had it. Excited to hear some reviews though.

May 31, 2012
Thanks Pat!
TAD attack!
I was lucky to get 5 tins,

add 1 McConnell Scottish Flake that I've been wanting to try,

the BBB catalog reprint,

and 1 Zino Platinum Z-Class Corona cigar to push me into free shipping.

:D
Can't wait to try the Lat Flake, it sounds promising!

Status
Not open for further replies.