PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

branzig

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2014
So my buddy who has been smoking pipes for a while brought over some H and H Larry's Blend. He told me that he was cautious of me trying it out because it is such a "Lat Bomb."
Well I smoked it up and I have to say, it wasn't that strong to me at all. It did have a strong camp fire essence but other than that I found it quite mild. Deeper into the bowl I did enjoy some sweetness and great spice though, it was definitely tasty!
I don't know if it is because I have smoked cigars for so long or what, but is this really as full and strong as pipe tobacco gets?

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
No, Larry's Blend is not a lat. bomb. It is a medium/full English blend. If you want a true lat. bomb try C & D's Pirate Kake or Star of the East.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I call Larrys Blend, "Penzance Light", it's a great blend and I miss picking up a few ounces at a time on trips to the old Albany store (where I also met the Larry who inspired the blend on one visit).

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Might be some confusion on what 'Latbomb' denotes: there is the full taste factor, and then there is the nic quotient. Except maybe for the aptly named Bow Legged Bear, most of my full Lats are not all that strong with respect to nicotine. The hi-Lat blends that do give a punch usually have some hi octane burley or Perique to get that job done. Larry's is at the top of my Top200 Cellar list, though Magnum Opus and Westminster (GLP) keep nudging it. The fulsome 'Latbombs', BTW, such as OI, PK, Bengal Slices, Lancer's Slices and others do reside comfortably high in my Cellar, but they are more one-dimensional and less balanced/interesting than LB.
hp

les

branzig

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2014
I wasn't referring to vitamin N at all, more so just flavor. Don't get me wrong, around half way through the bowl I did enjoy some delicious spices and sweet notes, just none of which I would call "full bodied" flavors. All really quite mild.
I have heard of the fabled "old ironsides" by Dan tobacco, and how good the tin is as a paper weight :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.