Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sent to me by one of our generous Welsh forum members, I have smoked three bowls of this, and smoking the last now as I write. It is a loose flake, dark, smoky smelling flake. I actually thought that it was a Latakia based flake, until I looked it up. It has a dark fire aroma, probably one of their favorite African or Malawi air cures. The write up says Virginias, but don't look for a sweet gold or red cure. This is the dark side of Virginias. This is the dripping black rot juice of pungent beet root death leaves.

Robust, musty, but with a tad of that Lakeland, but more floral than grandma soap, which comes out more in the top third of the bowl. Then the tobaccos start to come through more, but always with a little of that "essence."
If you like ODF, or my fav, GH&co's unscented Dark Flake, this might be of interest.

It seems to have more of the Lakeland than the unscented Dark Flake, IMO. But, if you already like lakelands, then of course this is a must try. If you're putt of by any floral essence, then check out some of C&D's Burleys. Or, just smoke ODF.

It has nicotine. It's not as gut wrenching as Dark Flake or any of the twists, but it definitely has more than ODF.

It was fun to try, and I appreciate the opportunity to try it. But, I'd chose Condor or Dark Flake over the Westmorland. It's good, and definitely interesting, but it's too stereotypical Lakeland for my palate. It's just not different enough to stand out to me.
Also reminds me of 1792, and a few other in that line of lakelands.
Well, I'm no professional reviewer, but... if only the best birds sang, the woods would be quiet. :puffy:

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Sent to me by one of our generous Welsh forum members,"
You must be inundated with the stuff then :wink:
I would agree with the Dark Flake comparison, very similar but slightly milder both in flavour and nicotine content. As for the 'Lakeland' flavour I have to say I have never detected it in many bowlfuls.
As for comparing it to 1792 Flake all I can say is I'm lost for words :roll:
This blend by the way is a recent release so therefore hasn't yet got the universal acclaim that I have no doubt it will get once more folks get to try it.
Regards,
Jay.

Crap, are you not in Wales? My geograpgy of the UK is elementary. I was also called out for refering to Scott as British. Ugg, my bad.
As far as 1792, the tobacco is not the same, but that topping/casing is similar. I think that of I were more "in tune" with the whole Lakeland genre, trying lots of different blends in this genre, I could probably be more concise. But, as with my geography, my Lakeland is really elementary. I was able to smoke it, and actually enjoyed it, in a curiousity sort of way. It didn't make me crave it, or even want to substitute it of Dark Flake.

I think my infatuation with Dark Flake is medicinal. It's like the castor oil, deep bass drum, rattle in the trunk, that gets me ready for bed, ha ha! I do like the taste, but like a cold makes me sort of like the taste of the cough syrup.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Crap, are you not in Wales?"
Considering that you have used my address I find it amazing you think I live in Wales! I shall buy you an atlas for your next birthday :puffy:
"My geograpgy of the UK is elementary."
As is your spelling...see me after class :wink:
Seriously though folks, Westmorland Slices is a great dark and smokey Virginia blend that ought be tried by all fans of dark stoved tobacco.
Regards,
Jay.

Considering that you have used my address I find it amazing you think I live in Wales!

Funny, when I went to the PO to send those packages, they all looked at the address and shrugged... until I told them that the address is in Wales, and then it keys right in. Ha ha. But, that is not surprising. I guess it just needed a ballpark country to put the Address into. How many countries do you guys have on that little island? :puffy:
Also of interest, when I looked up the blend it said that it was an "air cure" also. WQe were talking about that a few weeks ago. I think that is what gives it that robust but earthy flavor.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
Cosmic have you ever heard of Google Earth? :nana: I usually look at the address of anyone that buys some tobacco. It pretty interesting.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"..until I told them that the address is in Wales,"
It's a wonder it got here at all then :roll:
Cornwall (Cornland to you) is the most south western county of England, it resembles Italy inasmuch as it is shaped like a boot and I live on the heel of that boot.
Regards,
Jay.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Geocrappy and speling aside, this sounds like a good blend. Too bad we won't see stateside distribution.

pipeman7

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 21, 2017
manmansniff, unfortunately this blend isn't distributed in the US. You can't just ask them to order it, the distributor has to decide to make it available

Status
Not open for further replies.