Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

odee123

Lurker
Mar 22, 2019
Just a little background information, im in my early 20s and I started smoking cigars, well cigarellos so not actual cigars but im a small dude (136-139lbs) so relative to my body size and shape cause i guess it wouldnt be the same (do the same damage) or have the same impact on say someone who was 250+ who was smoking the same size cigar. Cause im sure are artieries/veins/hearts are different sizes and we smoking the same size, stuff...so i would say it would have a bigger impact on a smaller dude, like eating more. Im conscious of my health and know smoking in general isnt good for you. However cigar smoke makes me feel good and getting smoke in through my mouth, it just has become when I started something I didnt know it would be and I wouldnt say im addicted at all, i have one when I feel like it and when im outside usually and just feel like this is a good time. It just makes my life go alot smoother, and funny to say but even though im young and my hormone levels should be through the roof, i guess maybe cause theirs alot of stress in the world it makes me also feel stronger after smoking. So this has opened my mind about smoking, im not saying its going to make me live longer but it for me it is a way of enjoying my life and improving my quality of life while im around.

So because of this opening of my mind on smoking when I was against it, this brought about curiosity (outside of cigarettes) of other forms of smoking. I also had a dilema as Im young and still dont have alot of money coming in of making the most of my nicotine. Im aware with pipes like cigars you typically dont inhale..so I came up with the idea and a way for me to stop burning my fingertips and lips by smoking the end bits maybe after a month of them building up and sit down and put them all in a pipe as a way of recycling them. Waste not want not, im sure people in the oldschool days had this approach instead of going back to the store to buy more. Anyway, enough with the intro..just letting you guys have an idea of what level im on. Im not a pipe smoker and dont claim to be, im strictly a cigar guy...ALTHOUGH i could see me one day (50s-70s) starting to smoke a pipe more frequently but for right now its going to be a once a month kind of thing. However never say never as I thought I would never smoke a cigar or smoke anything, and now I smoke them all the time and believe in them. So, back to the recycling, I bought a old early 20s kaywoodie pipe.. I want to use it and its in pretty good shape

however i have a couple problems and this is where my questions arise and maybe these are for more of the veterans of these forums to answer to get deep down in resolving these issues and giving the appropriate information

1) Im not smoking to taste or be like 'this is a nice blend' or any aromatics or any english type blends or none of that. I just want to smoke FOR NICOTINE, thats it. Im not a big guy into tasting (not saying Like Above...that i will, never be.) but for right now, im just using this as a form of, nicotine consumption. Thats It, not like 'i love this taste.' So My first question is, will me smoking from this kaywoodie pipe cigarello stuff with the outer leaf wrapped around (or will i have to take this off even though its smokable) but will this 'ghost the pipe' where i wont be able to taste other types lets say when im 50 or 70 and change my mind and really get deep into the pipe game how some of you guys are, i dont want to ruin a good pipe if i suddenly transition and want to do what you guys do. As primarily I dont want to buy another pipe again and dont want to ruin this one

2) this kind of is another part of number 1 and comes off of it, it is By Smoking cigar tobacco, which I tend is different from pipe tobacco..will i need to give my pipe more vigorous cleaning on the inside since this tobacco isnt desinged for a pipe, like will the cigar leaf or outside thing the cigar is rolled in get stuff on the inside and damage the pipe if it is not delat with properly. Also adding to this question, is it better to take the outside of the cigar that it is rolled in apart or will this make a difference in damaging the pipe or, smoke the whole thing? Will it make a difference or because its not pipe tobacco its not made for the pipe, and wont hold up.Its a briar pipe btw not a mersheum or any of those other types

3) lets say if i start smoking this tobacco, because its not made for a pipe is their a chance the pipe will burn hot or anything or if I utilise it too much and it becomes hotter than traditional pipe tobacco because im not using the stuff its intended/designed for, that I may cause 'burn out' of my pipe. Ideally i spent 85$ on my pipe and I dont want to burn a massive whole in my pipe, especially because of its history..ideally if this game isnt for me I want to be able to pass the pipe in the same condition and get the same back that i paid or more. Also what are the other ways that burn out is caused or things I need to be careful of, and is their other damaging factors of smoking cigar tobacco in a pipe instead of pipe tobacco that this is affecting the wear and tear of my pipe that I must be aware of

4) Lighter or Match. Im aware of some of the pipe lighters out there and matches, and I know this probably depends on the size of the bowl...but since the history of the pipe I dont want that rim burn build up or charr or whatever, remember, im not going to be using the pipe as much as you guys (probably once a month because of build up of cigarillo ends) So i want to be able to look after it for a lifetime. I know their is a certain upkeep in a pipe that you have to look after it and you cant avoid. I just want to be educated on all the other methods to avoid this, like people say its going to happen like the plague, you cant avoid it...but other than saliva before you light, some after..using a que tip, black coffee on it...what other methods do some of you guys do or what other directions and things can I do. Also on top of this, what lighters do you guys advise THAT ARE THE BEST, or their isnt really a best..yet For a pipe, just preferences...if there is no best then you can just say and dont have to list good lighters.

5) What are the ways of quote on quote 'ghosting a pipe' incase i do want to start tasting like you guys and dont just want nicotine consumption and to make the most out of everything I use my money on as I dont have alot of income currently

6) Back to my income, its not that I hate the idea of buying tobacco pouches for my pipe, or the idea of pipe smoking. I dont. I just DONT HAVE THE INCOME, to buy nicotine for both my pipe...and my cigars, so i have to, pick one. For right now. When i start earning more money ONLY THEN will i take more money out of what im getting to spend on, different tobacco that comes out of my pocket. Only then. Until i reach that point it will all be, re-used. However, I wanted to know...whats the most similar tobacco in the pipe community that is like (or the exact same as what is in cigars, in pipe form)

7) this is kind of a sub question off of number 6...what are the main differences in pipe tobacco and cigar tobacco, my grandad used to smoke a pipe and was into aromatics, as a young kid going over to his house on the weekends to stay (4-8) thats all i used to smell at night. However, i am confident and believe in cigar smoking. However i dont have research or thoughts and opinions on my own on pipe tobacco, and im not saying its a killer no where near cigarettes...however, i dont completely believe in it, like i do with cigars. So that is one of the reasons why im abit sketchy (but its also a money thing and just making the most out of what ive got and what i know, cause its easier) however i just want to know or someone to claify what are the differences in the procedures of how pipe tobacco is made, compared to the contents of a cigar, and mainly what are the different ingredients or just differences as I would like to know for some peace of mind, if i was to get some more money and transition in the future to smoking a pipe, I want to feel confident in what im smoking (im not saying any smoking, is healthy. I just want to know, what is pipe tobacco compared to that which is in a cigar) if someone really has the knowledge and information on this which is a quesiton in itself, i would appreciate it

Thank you for reading this long message. If you can answer 1 of the questions with whatever knowledge you have, aslong as its real and not based off of close mindedness or being stubborn, i would appreciate it. Ideally, i want people spreading real information and not speaking out of myths or things that are said in the community, i want real life information or something that you can, back up...or are well versed in, when you speak on it and not misinformation you're spreading. I dont want any people commenting 'if you want a cigar, smoke it outside of a pipe.' that is clearly not a question, and what I Already Do. Im not talking about that, read the question...im smoking my cigars, regularly (Not in a pipe) but im reusing the tobacco as like i said i dont have a whole bunch of money and want to get the most out of what im smoking in anything for, nicotine consumption. So dont leave an ignorant comment like that, i am smoking my cigars regularly and not putting them in my pipe, im just reusing them and recycling them instead of throwing them on the ground/trash/drain and saving my fingertips and lips when I get near the bottom, to use for another time/day. Anyway any help on anyone of these questions is much appreciated.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Wow that is a lot of text for so early in the morning. Welcome to the forums! I will try to point form answer your questions.
1) I think ghosting is a little overdone, with the exceptions of some really strong aromatics or something, a good coffee ground or salt treatment will get rid of most ghosted pipe smells.
2) I don't know if you need to clean it any more than usual. I usually just wipe the inside of the bowl with a damp paper towel. I don't let cake (the carbonized layer that stays on the bowl) build up
3) burn out is caused from a number of things but if your breathing (cadence) is smooth and slow you should be alright. Pipe smoking is not a race.
4) that is an old debate, and its just personal choice.
5) see #1
6) not a question
7) go to YouTube and search videos from Russ Ouellette, he is a master blender and has a series of videos that outlines the differences in each main pipe tobacco type. It really helped me figure out the direction I wanted to go.
6)

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
My first advice is for you to write shorter. This is way to long.

Well, I've read it. You will not ruin your pipe by smoking cigars from it. Several people do it and there is no problem. If you want to smoke pipes on a budget, buy some corncob pipes. They are cheap, durable and also useful for tasting stuff, if that's what you want. And, speaking of budget, pipe tobacco is cheap. You'll get 20+ smokes out of a 6$ pouch of tobacco.

I prefer a Zippo lighter, but as long as you do not use a torch lighter, you'll be fine. Keep the flame above the tobacco and draw it in, and wipe the rim with some spit on your finger after the smoke.

Someone else will give advice on tobacco. I'm not in the U.S. and I don't know what's available to you, but I'd suggest something strong, burley based, like 5 brothers.

rdavid

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
Out of all that, I gleaned that your not interested in taste, but only in the delivery of nicotine?
Five Brothers is a good suggestion as are several other strong burley blends. Old Joe Krantz gives me a pretty good wallop.
Anyway, good luck with that...

derhammer

Sep 7, 2018
New Zealand
Welcome to the forum!

There is a good site that I use all the time.

Normally I seek for blends with medium to strong in terms of strength/nicotine hit.

You can do an advanced search like this: Strong blends

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
A corn cob pipe by Missouri Meerschaum, and a pouch of Carter Hall. Under 20$
No fancy tastes, not expensive, it will basically smoke itself without having to worry.
Done.

rdavid

Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
Oh yeah... sorry about that. Welcome and your in the right place for the best piping info, that I've found yet anyways.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Pipes and cigars are so different. And the differences are experienced differently from person to person too. I think of a cigar like a restaurant meal, specifically engineered by the restaurant to provide a particular experience, whether fast food or seven course white table cloth meal. A pipe is more like cooking for yourself. You select the blend, mix blends, single leaf, or condiment as you will, and smoke it right through or incrementally, and control the experience in various ways beyond that. With a cigar, the maker is the chef. With a pipe, you're the chef. The blender is the source for the materials, but you are in charge. This is only my experience. Others will have completely contradictory ideas ... part of the appeal.

mudcamper

Lurker
Mar 22, 2019
Sonoma County
However, I wanted to know...whats the most similar tobacco in the pipe community that is like (or the exact same as what is in cigars, in pipe form)
I'll take a stab at this one. I'm a newbie, so I could be totally wrong, but from my experience, VaPers (Virginia/Perique blends) seem to be the closest to cigars. To my palette they are anyway. Not the same, but similar.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Just who the hell are you calling ignorant?

OK, that was meant 'tongue in cheek'.
If you are smoking on a budget and only out for the nicotine, an inexpensive corn cob and some inexpensive Burley will be your most efficient use of your money.

Example: a pack of those little cigars you like costs how much per smoke? You can smoke a pipe for pennies a smoke, still get all the nicotine you want, and have the bonus of development of a pallet.
The rest of your questions are likely answered within several of the existing threads on this forum, repeatedly.

drc-tp-1001.png

pmmpride-pf-1001.png

Status
Not open for further replies.