PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Did Hesson-Jr Pipes exist as a unique pipe line or were they always owned by WDC? Are they good smokers? Quality builds? I cannot find anything on the Jr designation.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
Hesson was independent before WDC bought them. And they did offer their pipe in two grades, the Hesson at $7.50, and the Hesson, jr. at $3.75. I’m not sure if WDC carried over the production of the jr after the acquisition; I doubt it. I gather they bought the company for its patent which allowed them to utilize the Hesson guard on their own pipes. My guess is yours is a pre-sale pipe, dating to the mid twenties.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
To add a bit more, I believe the acquisition in practice was a purchase by WDC of the patents from Hesson, and that the transaction occurred about 1928

doctorbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Grand Ledge, Michigan
Depends on who you consider the big dogs. The big British names? No, not comparable. The big Americans? Yeah, probably comparable.
Dunhill, Barling's, Comoys, and Sasieni didn't put out cosmetically blemished pipes, and maintained very high finishing standards until very late in their respective histories. Anything considered not of the best was turned into seconds or just destroyed.
American mass production makers as a rule were less obsessed about quality. I've got a four digit Kaywoodie Supergrain with fills and extraordinarily washed out grain, as an example.
Hesson was of that tradition. They weren't trying to market high end pipes, they were trying to market their apparatus. They aren't bad pipes, but they don't tend to be great pipes either. At least in my opinion.
Doc

doctorbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Grand Ledge, Michigan
I guess it depends on what you consider a moderate price.
the prices jguss quotes above would have made those pipes somewhat costly for the time frame of the mid twenties. but you were paying the premium for the apparatus, not the briar.
doc

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Ever notice that the terminology and the essence of value has changed with each succeeding generation?

Moderate pricing on an estate pipe to me is $5 - $20. I don't know if that's due to my age or my social status.

Status
Not open for further replies.