PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Awhile back I finished a tin and thought overall that I didn't understand the buzz about it. I found it plain, with no particular feature worthy of comment. What did I miss?

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Sound like to me you missed it all! Seriously though, different strokes for different folks......... I love 10 Russians, but find the much hyped Nightcap boring and just meh.....

I guess its all in the tastebuds.

hiplainsdrifter

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 8, 2012
I have heard a lot of mixed reviews on this one, but mostly very positive. I have been alternating between 10 Russians and Penzance, and I must say I miss the 10 Russians when I am smoking Penzance. It is not as complex, but I find it to be more flavorful overall.

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
I'm a huge fan of Ten Russians. So much, that after beefeater33 graciously sent me a sample to try, I bought 3 lbs of it for my stockpile. I'm wondering if it's enough. I don't smoke it everyday, it's usually a weekend smoke for me, because I like to devote time to it.
I'm working through the other Capt Earle's blends, to see how they fare. I'm about to crack a tin of Stimulus Package here in the coming weeks.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Wow Marc! 3 pounds! I thought I had it bad..... LOL :laughat: I love the stuff.

Let us know how you like the Stim-pack, haven't tried that one yet. I just received a tin of Private Stock from a lady whose husband passed. It was opened, but full, and on the dry side. Re-hydrating it now. It smells mighty good though. Going to try it this week-end.

aristokles

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2011
I have not tried Ten Russians yet, but just discovered Private Stock last Saturday while at the Pittsburgh Pipe Club "meeting" at Allegheny Smokeworks. I must say I am enthralled with PS - I have no need to lament the lack of Penzance any longer. It is one of the best blends I have ever smoked. My tin was nearly three years old though and I must try newer production. Stuff's addictive.

txbeerboy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2013
Does Ten Russians have red virginia tobacco in it ? Does it have a lot of latakia ? I don't think you can have to much camel dung in there for me :) However, red virginia will destroy my tongue.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Per TRC -
Cavendish, Latakia, Oriental/Turkish, Virginia
A totally different taste presentation now as opposed to the original Ten Russians that came out in, I believe the late 1990's. The Virginia has a much fresher, tangy presentation and the Latakia has been toned down (but still very noticeable), IMO, of course.
Pipestud

antbauers

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
That all sounds very enticing. I've heard many good things before but never remember to get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.