PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

seadogontheland

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 4, 2014
Captain Earl's Private Stock is one of my new favorite tobaccos. This pressed kake krumbled easily into curly, flowing ribbons of deliciousness. With just a pinch of a corner piece, and a thumb to forefinger rubbing, this was ready to dry for 15 minutes, After said dehydration and a moderately tight packing this tobacco consumed the flame and burned oh so well from rim to heel. Nicely medium strength with a full body. The flavors were so well married and a silky smoothness permeated my senses. I encountered a wonder of smoky, spicy, musty, leathery, salty-sweet excellence. The volume of smoke was right on target for me and the aroma matched the taste stride for stride. Hermit scored oh so well with this high quality goodness. Highest Recommendation!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Welcome to Forums seadog. Among Earl's blends, Diamond Head and Honor Blend seem to interest me the most.

But I have a fulsome backlog of fine blends yet to explore.

seadogontheland

Oct 4, 2014
Thanks for the Welcome MSO! This is the first of the Capt. E's I have tried and I'm looking forward to trying some of their other blends. I think this really appeals to me in that it was nicely balanced without the latakia overpowering some of the more subtle flavors and aroma. I'm going to enjoy some more later today on this Dr. MLKJ holiday.

aristokles

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2011
A very good review of Captain Earle's Private Stock and that do to my nearly 100% agreement with it. The blend is in my top five, and a desert island finalist.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
We're glad you're here, Seadog. And thank you for the swell review of Private Stock.
I've smoked Stimulus Package for almost two years now and this evening had my first bowl of Ten Russians. (Good God, what a lovely tobacco.)
I hope you'll consider posting your review of Private Stock at: http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/brand/855/captain-earles
Welcome to the forums, friend.
Fnord

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
Private Stock is a decent smoke, but 10 Russians is by far my favorite thus far. My least favorite of the series, is Honor Blend. I found that one uneventful and bland. But as the story goes with opinions....

seadogontheland

Oct 4, 2014
Thanks for the welcome guys. That actually is my review from TR.com. I have yet to try 10 Russians but am looking forward to getting some. This tobacco would be one of my desert island smokes as well. :)

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I like your reviews, short and too the point. I really love subtle salty flavors in tobacco. Welcome to the forums.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I found Ten Russians bland, but I know it wasn't the tobacco. This happens to me occasionally, smoke a tin and miss the show. It's also happened with Westminster, University Flake, Triple Play, Irish Flake.

seadogontheland

Oct 4, 2014
same has happened to me as well...I usually write it off to oral chemistry fluctuating at any given time.

sthbkr77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 17, 2015
MD
I've been a fan of 10 Russians for a bit. I'm going to pull the trigger tonight and dive into the tin of Stimulus Package I was gifted recently as I've heard several people now say it's better than 10R.
Private Stock is now going on the list I don't let my wife see ;)

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Private Stock and Stimulus Package are both outstanding blends and I'd've never known of them without these forums and reviews like yours. Thanks for reminding me to pull out a tin, it's been awhile.

seadogontheland

Oct 4, 2014
Good to hear, settersbrace! I love me some private stock. I have not tried stimulus package, but the reviews are good. I had a generous friend turn me onto Hermit blends, I am quite grateful. After reading a good deal I thought the private stock would be perfect for me, with moderately-high strength, a fine balance of several tobaccos, where the latakia is not the lead player, but a kindly cohort...its just perfect.

maxx

Apr 10, 2015
I like Private Stock and was disappointed in Ten Russians. I'm on my first bowl of Stimulus Package and suspect it has Red Virginia, because I'm getting that sharp, pointed sensation on my tongue as I got from Diamond Head.

stickframer

Apr 11, 2015
10 Russians, Stimulus Package, Nightwatch and Private Stock look to be worth a shot.
But I have a fulsome backlog of fine blends yet to explore.
I have these blends in a notebook, with scores of others.
Which one is strongest in the nic department?

seadogontheland

Oct 4, 2014
I have read reviews from folks who have sampled more/most of these fine blends than I and 10 Russians is supposed to be the strongest, with regard to nicotine content. I'll tell you though, Private Stock is no wimpy blend.

Status
Not open for further replies.