PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

throbinson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 19, 2014
Zurich, ON (Canada)
So, I came across some hermetic jars at the dollarstore, good size, solid glass, rubber rings... grabbed a few large and some small to store my tobacco in since I am a light weight smoker. I smoke maybe 10min at a time, maybe 2x a week... so the sample sizes I bought online will likely last a while. :D
After a few weeks, the insides had a haze to the glass. I thought maybe moisture, but seemed kinda dry. When I bought the jars I had the oxiclean next to the sink so gave a scrub with that and assumed the haze may have been related to it.
So, tobacco comes out, quick rinse, and this time I took paper towels and gave the insides a good going over with isopropyl alcohol then wiped down with a clean dry paper towel. Figured if any residue was on the glass, it's gone now.
Been about 3 weeks, and noticed a bit of haze on a few jars.
Is this normal and I'm fighting a non-winning battle? Should I resort to boiling the glass? Buy new ones and use these for old parts and rubber bands instead?

griffonwing

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2014
Omaha AR
I have had bad luck with the ceramic/glass jars with and without clasps. Air always seems to get in. I had some Vintage Syrian in a completely clean and sealed jar, and opened it 6 months later, it was dry and crumbly.
Since then, I have only used canning jars, and I have never been happier.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
My guess is what you are seeing are gasses from the tobacco fermenting. Not unusual but a testimony to how tight the seals on your jars are.

throbinson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 19, 2014
Zurich, ON (Canada)
For the cost I figured I'd give a try... so, likely that haze is because the seal isn't very good.
Does anyone have any luck with the hermetic jars? I like the looks of them and like the lids better... just wondering if a better brand (ie Mason) yields better results. I assume not all hermetic jars are bad given how many use them for food.
I'll probably give another quick wash since, the first hazing happened fast, the 2nd time has taken much longer and not as bad yet so, will give them a good scrub again. Failing that... I'll get the short widemouth mason jars with the screw on lids. I only buy tobacco in 1-2oz amounts anyways since still discovering different types/flavours.

frank13

Can't Leave
Oct 5, 2014
Bakersfield, CA
You might try washing them with white vinegar, drying them out, and then leave them open to air out for a bit. This might clear up the haze... Otherwise, maybe it's just a characteristic of that particular brand/lot of glass.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I have this on a jar that contains my favorite aro. The jar has a rubber seal and a clamp lid. The tobacco is a bit moist, but this is not moisture as,it is a dry film.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
My guess is what you are seeing are gasses from the tobacco fermenting. Not unusual but a testimony to how tight the seals on your jars are.
I'd say this is a good bet, or it could be some of the moisture from the tobacco clouding it. I've got this happening on alot of my mason jars that are sealed and haven't had any problems. Personally I don't like the hermetic seals for long term storage, I'll use them for my daily smokes like EMP and transfer a jar when I pop it into the hermetic jar. If you aren't aging it though I'd say it's fine, just put a moisture puck with distilled water in when you notice it getting too dry. Personally I'll just tape a cotton ball with some moisture to the top of the lid though and haven't had any problems. I also never rinse out a new jar, they come sterile.

throbinson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 19, 2014
Zurich, ON (Canada)
I might give another cleaning... being from a dollarstore for anyone/everyone to touch I assumed not sterile, that's why I figured grab the oxy. :D
But I'm not storing anything long term... just, when I order I order 4-6 samples 1-2oz each, and I'll be smoking them until gone and order something different. Only be in jard 2-3 months. I have a small notebook to log what I've tried, maybe once I know more about what I like, I'll start ordering bigger batches for longer time storage.
I might grab a few moisture pucks though.

mrfus

Might Stick Around
Jun 6, 2013
I use mason jars that I get at Walmart... small ones to carry around (Jelly Jars) and the wide mouth 16 oz size for storing on the closet (12 jars for +-$10).
They seal good and look nice!, I can't really notice any loss of moisture on the tobacco and maybe I'm imagining but the smell is much more stronger now than when I first put it on the jar.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
In my opinion you can clean the jar 100 times and you'll still get this fog, it's most likely humidity and nothing to worry about. Is it humid where you are by chance? Where I am it's dry as a bone, nose bleeding dry winter and I have this cloudy haze on alot of my jars. Really it's nothing to worry about.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
I get that haze with aromatic blends I store in Mason jars and less-well-sealing Libbey jars. You needn't worry - my aromatic tobaccos have kept their moisture and flavor. I doubt the haze has to do with your cleaning. Like other commenters here I do not pre-clean my jars. I simply leave them open for a bit before filling them.

throbinson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 19, 2014
Zurich, ON (Canada)
Wait, you smoke two ten minute pipes a week? What the heck kind of pipe is that?
A normal pipe... I discovered a small trick... you don't have to fill the pipe to the top. ;)
No indoor smoking, and it's currently 1'F/25'C outside (Canada, Ontario). Hard to relax and enjoy a smoke when the fingers start to go numb. :D
Mainly, I still use the corncob... $8 pipe, so, don't really clean it after each smoke apart from dumping the ashes. If I know I can smoke longer, I break out the Stanwell (which is cleaned each time). When I'm done cleaning up these estate pipes that I have, there is 1 that I'm keeping to replace the corncob at which time I'll be cleaning more often.

throbinson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 19, 2014
Zurich, ON (Canada)
So... no idea what the deal was with those hermetic jars but, gave up and bought some Bernardin Mason jars. Wide mouth 'elite' collection jars because the rest all has fruit on them. :D
Hopefully does a better job sealing. The wide mouth allows me to get in with the pipe which is nice. Downside is, not really stackable which I thought was a design flaw, and couldn't find any 750ml for larger quantities. I didn't clean them either, just a quick wipe inside with a Kleenex in case of dust or glass bits.
Do you guys use anything like pouch moisteners inside the jars? I saw someone mentioning a cotton ball in the lid. I was thinking of grabbing the pouch moisteners from 4Noggins my next order, and using double sided velcro (can get circles at the dollar store) and stick them inside the lids. Then I can pull it off when needs a soak.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
throbinson:
I believe that papipeguy is correct: the haze is probably a result of out-gassing from the tobaccos as they ferment (that, plus the fact that you are creating a micro-climate inside the jar), and that you may experience this regardless of the type of clear glass container you utilize.

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
A normal pipe... I discovered a small trick... you don't have to fill the pipe to the top.
HAHA great comeback on a worthless comment. Love it!
I have used the jars you are talking about for years. I keep my opened stuff in them that I am smoking. I like a drier tobacco so it works well for me. I think a little air drying often helps a tobacco anyway. However, mine haven never gone "foggy". Maybe it is the additives to the blend you are smoking?

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
peteguy:
My container, a candy-shop-style jar whose opening is angled at 45-degrees and which is closed with a gasketed lid, sits on a shelf in my office, and is within five feet of a south-facing window, although it is never in direct sunlight. I wonder if that has anything to do with the formation of the haze?

throbinson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 19, 2014
Zurich, ON (Canada)
What concerned me was that, it wasn't 100% from everyone saying it happens to them as well. There was a mention of it happening with aromatics, which I have none.
I could see it being moisture maybe, since some blends I have seem more moist than others, but it was a pale dry film, and fairly heavy after only 2-3 weeks.
That being said, if these Mason jars do the same thing, then I'm not going to worry about it. :)
I am a VERY slow smoker... bought 5 x 1oz samples and 1 x 2oz sample from 4Noggins to try, since still figuring out what I like, and that was November, and still have 60% of it all left. :D
I also had 2 x 1oz samples of aromatics, very cherry and vanilla, and gave those away almost immediately.
Looking to order some Frog Morton's Cellar this week, which is why asking about the moisture pucks, order at the same time. Looking to get 2 more samples as well but, not sure what to try...

throbinson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 19, 2014
Zurich, ON (Canada)
My jars are not near any vents or direct sun. Blends, I have the following in the jars
4Noggins Bald Headed Teacher

Prince Albert

Lane 1-Q

Dunhill My Mixture 965

Beck's Ol' Limey Bastard
... also Molto Dolce and Peterson's Connoisseurs Choice in tins.
The Lane's Very Cherry, and McClelland Vanilla Black Cavendish... weren't my bag. Those were given away.
Started the pipe in November so, still figuring what I like. The Prince Albert so far seems to be my go to.

Status
Not open for further replies.