Here's the rub (A foolproof flake preparation)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
008.jpg

Like most I got into flake cut tobaccos for the more intense and fuller flavors yielded by this traditional processing method as well just simple curiosity. There is more to this unique style than just enhanced taste. If you're an obsessive pipe smoker like me flakes afford an opportunity to get to know your tobacco a little closer while the anticipation of putting flame to leaf builds.
To me the ritual of pipe smoking is a big part of the enjoyment. Flake tobacco is perfect for the pipester who likes to play with his pipes and accoutrements as opposed to the old "stuff and puff" method. Preparing my flakes for smoking gives me a chance to feel the tobacco with my fingers, Smell the wonderful aroma and visually inspect the leaf.
I notice often on the forum that people are trying flakes for the first time. I was there myself not too long ago and now I am a devotee. I am always experimenting and have perfected a couple of my own methods for dealing with flake and wanted to share a simple prep that I feel always presents a great smoke using flake cut tobacco. I think rubbing out the flakes fully is a good way to go when you first open the tin and expose that slab of rich goodness.
002.jpg

I use an old china plate as a work surface for my flakes. Firstly I use my fingernail or a small pocketknife to seperate a few pieces of the flake so that they resemble little sticks. I shove these down into the bottom of the bowl like throwing 2X4 lumber down a well. These sticks create a small air space at the bottom of the bowl and also prevent the smaller pieces of the broken flake added next from plugging the air hole. Once the course base layer (as seen in the photo) is in place rub out a flake or two between your fingers until the individual strands are visible and layers of tobacco are seperated. At this point the rubbed out flakes will have the appearance of a regular ribbon cut and can be loaded into the bowl as such. This is the fun part I think. The moisture level can be better determined by touch once you have the tobacco loosened up into a fluffy pile. The delicious smells resulting from the curing and aging process while pressed burst forth from the mixture exposed for the first time.
004.jpg

Many smokers prefer to dry their flakes a bit before smoking. I've got so many tins open at one time that they are all at some stage of dryness so I don't usually worry too much about it. Fully rubbed out flakes burn readily and I have little trouble keeping them lit when prepared this way.
006.jpg

Enjoy the bowl as you would any other dumping the fine ash off the top as needed and a gentle tamp or two to knock the unburnt leaf around the outside to the middle. While this method doesn't provide the super slow smoke with the intermingling of subtle flavor profiles like the fold and stuff method I feel it allows a smoker an easy entry into the amazing world of flake tobacco with a minimum of fuss and worry. The flavor is full and rounded and very enjoyable. What makes flakes fun is how the different preparation methods can bring out different flavor profiles and nuances creating varied smoking experiences all from the same tin.
007.jpg

To borrow a line from Paw Paw here on the forum which I think he borrowed from a certain cartoon tiger:
"Flakes -They're Great!!"

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
Good read! You should use the magnifying glass to light your pipe :) it works really well!

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
That's cool. I do almost the exact thing. I fold and stuff on the first fill, then rub out sticks for the second. Finally I add some "crumblies" at the top. Never fails!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
What a great post Mike, that is a really good way for beginners to start enjoying the wonderful world of flakes.
I do a couple of different things to my flakes. When I want a long smoke say 1.5 to 2 hours, I will take a large pipe and fold a few flakes into a cigar shape and stuff it into the bowl. I have to be careful that there is enough air flow because the flake does expand. I will then break up some flake and use it as kindling. When I want a shorter smoke I will break the flakes up a little using my fingers so I still have big chunks and then use the 3 step loading procedure.
The fold and stuff takes a lot of practice and you really need to make sure your tobacco is dry enough so that it doesn't require a bunch of re lights. There is definitely a lot of trial and error in this method and I do not recommend it for people just starting out.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Thanks Guys!
-tjameson I used the lens to light that meer.

-Right on cigrmaster I've had more than one bowl swell shut. Thick flakes need to be spaced out more open than you think.
Flakes are fun stuff and really enhance my ejoyment of pipes and tobacco.

ohiopuffer

Can't Leave
May 18, 2012
This is great I am about to try my first 2 flake tobaccos and this post is a big help as I have had no experience with flakes.I have been watching alot of videos on how different people prepare flake.I am about to try Solani Aged Burley Flake and Davidoff Flake Medallions.I was also curious if there is a paticular type of pipe that is better for smoking flake.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Ohiopuffer -great I think you will enjoy your flakes. The Solani aged burly sounds interesting. About your question on bowl size most seem in agreement that diameters of 3/4" or less are best for unbroken flakes (fold and stuff). I found that to be true. My favorite pipes for flakes are my little Peterson's 317 or my bulldogs. If you're rubbing out your flakes any size pipe works fine. Just remember there is no hard and fast rules just whatever works to you.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
ohiopuffer, Solani aged burley is a great blend and I keep that one in stock at all times. Great choice on that one, that Davidoff I am not familiar with, but I am sure it is a quality blend. As far as pipes go, I would grab your thickest walled pipe and use that, hopefully it is a group 5 or so. Flakes can burn hot because of the moisture content. Make sure you rub it out and let it sit for a good hour to hour and a half before loading. Remember smoke slowly and do not worry if you have to re light a few times, it is no big deal. Let us know how you make out.

ohiopuffer

Can't Leave
May 18, 2012
Thanks for the tips cigrmaster.I have always been a slow smoker so I should be good.I just ordered some Mississippi River too I heard it is good too.

steyrshrek

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 1, 2012
I have to say flakes is probably my favourite tobacco. Vanilla Cream, Navy, Full Virginia, Best Brown. I want to try some plugs next or maybe rope.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
Thanks Mike! I love your pipe btw. I ordered one earlier tonight that is very similar. I am super excited to get it. Yavuz tells me they are gonna start production on it in the morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.