Pipes Magazine » Pipe Smoking Basics & Beginner Questions

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Here's a Couple of Silly Questions?

(17 posts)
  1. eibhir

eibhir

Login to Send PM

1. How do you smoke a pipe without taking it out of your mouth? I can't figure it out. I'm afraid I'll bite through it, but I think it looks cool.
    2. Is it possible to smoke a pipe upside down? It was raining yesterday and that would have come in handy. I read somewhere you could but I don't think it's possible.

Thanks for the answers! I still have so much to learn.

A smile will always keep them guessing.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  2. dervis

dervis

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

1. Currently doing it. Its just holding it not biting it. (ok i just said that outloud and realize it sounds stupid)

2. You can! It is about packing it a bit tighter but I promise ot works.

"You have to be a man first before you're a gentleman. "

John Wayne
    Posted 1 year ago #
  3. chakaraka

chakaraka

Login to Send PM

I'm just a newb too, but here are my impressions:

1. Some people are "clenchers" and some just aren't. I am experimenting with it, but being so new to pipe smoking myself, I find myself wanting some light so I can see what I am doing and lots of looking down the bowl. I think when you are totally acquainted with a certain pipe with a certain tobacco, it becomes second nature and requires less looking and tentative fiddling. That being said, a lot of veteran pipers on here are just not clenchers.

2. There was some discussion somewhere recently about a pipe meant to smoke upside down. I don't think you will have good results with a conventional pipe, but as everyone loves to say YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary). I think that is a good reason to get out of the rain, get a really classy umbrella or a really really big hat.

Mike.
    - - - - - -
    Rookie, but learning.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  4. cleidophoros

cleidophoros

Banned

Login to Send PM

3. You can even play a trombone while smoking!

[+] Embed the video | Video DownloadGet the Video Plugins

And these are meant to be smoked upside down
    http://www.thefourthpath.com/bianchinopipes.shtml

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. bootlegbonvivant

bootlegbonvivant

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There is a pipe that is called an upside down pipe. A friend in our pipe club stated he owns one and will be bringing it to our next meeting. He stated that you light it from the bottom.

As for the other question, I tend to do both. I clench some pipes, while others are held more. It also depends on how comfortable ya get with your particular pipe. Sometimes I find my jaw getting too tired or sore because of the total weight of the pipe.

Southerners don't talk slow because they're dumb, we do it because there's really no rush.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  6. brdavidson

brdavidson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I bougt this ugly little pipe from my local b&m that smokes great, but the main reason bought it was because it was so light. I find it helps to clench with this little pipe since it's so light, it helps keep my hands warm in these damn Canadian winters

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. judcole

Jud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Perfectly possible to keep it in your mouth all the time,as has been pointed out. I tend to.

Thought in the early morning, solace in time of woes,
    Peace in the hush of the twilight, balm ere my eyelids close
    Rudyard Kipling
    Posted 1 year ago #
  8. bootlegbonvivant

bootlegbonvivant

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The hardest part about clenching is learning how to talk without sounding like you're drunk or have a wad of crap in your mouth, lol.

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. eibhir

eibhir

Login to Send PM

I would love to see the upside down pie! That's a cool video! I'll just have to keep practicing both, carefully. Wouldn't due to break a pipe or catch myself on fire. Thanks!

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. jbbaldwin

jbbaldwin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

3. You can even play a trombone while smoking!

Thank you for posting the video. It's the funniest thing I have seen in a while (I'm a horn player but can't even imagine doing that - I won't even try what my avatar is doing!).

- Write if you get work.

- Hang by your thumbs.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  11. spartan

Spartan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The clenching of the pipe doesn't appeal to me so I will skip that one since it had been answered.

I turn the pipe upside down when I feel the need to dry the tobacco at the bottom.

Heat rises so I figure it helps. Never in public though. When you are about half easy down with your next bowl give it a try. Best results with straight pipes. Preferably by yourself. Lest you be mocked by pipe smokers everywhere.

"I was born to lose. So I'll die to win." -Breaking Benjamin
    Posted 1 year ago #
  12. kris

kris

Login to Send PM

I have often been caught in heavy rain & tutned my pipe upside-down. You don't need a special pipe or fancy packing methods to do it...

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. zonomo

zonomo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

why would you need to talk and smoke? Wouldn't you puff, exhale and then speak? If your schedule's that tight, you might want loosen er' up a little.

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. User has not uploaded an avatar

flmason

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That was a cool video. I enjoyed it. Thanks for posting.

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. yadan

yadan

Login to Send PM

I have enough trouble keeping my dentures in my mouth...

"I'm always easy to please since I'm always satisfied with the very best." - Oscar Wilde
    Posted 1 year ago #
  16. foggymountain

foggymountain

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I first tried smoking a pipe upside down, in the rain, many years ago. It works. As mentioned above don't pack too loose. I might add, don't stand or sit under it, and not over a rug. Leave some room for an occasional hot ash to drop.

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. User has not uploaded an avatar

flmason

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Never consider any question as silly. Asking questions will help you and also others who may not want to ask.

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   buzkirk, dhizzy, jmatt, andrew, ravkesef, snagstangl, darwin, anthonyrosenthal74, sparrowhawk, chispa, cobguy, yaddy306, shutterbug, elduderino, tbradsim1, sparks, edgreen, tuckahoe, dmcmtk, beefeater33