Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
As an alternative to matches and lighters I've ordered a big ball of beeswax coated hemp 'wick' and a Bic lighter case that has a place to wrap several feet of it and also a channel that guides the wick to the front of the lighter @ the flame.

21XtwoEIJlL.jpg

A1lLr7Tl3hL._SL1500_.jpg

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Damn... too late newbroom as I was going to sell some hemp (a lot) and Bic lighter holders on the site that have never been used as I don't really care for them all that much. I find that the hemp burns like a fuse, produces smoke and is just a plain out PITA to use. But, that's just my personal experience with it and I sincerely hope you fair out better with with it. I'll stick with my Corona lighter, Zippo lighter, matches, etc. :wink:

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
I ordered some last year. Gave 'em a try and just not impressed. I'm back to predominately using a Bic lighter or when the mood strikes me using my Nimrod.
BTW, when you start using your Hemp wick you have to start using the word "dude" and "man" a lot. Know what I mean man?

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I ordered from Amazon. I hope I can make the transition w/o it being too much of a pita.

Yes, lower combustion temperature factored in...that and economy, which I hoped would be of both cost and effect.

I think it's worth a try. Sorry to hear (NOW) that others before me have not found this to be so simple.

I'm currently using diamond greenlights and I generate a lot of burnt sticks.

I used to use a bic a lot, but that was when I was getting started and I do have a Nimrod, but I can't get that to work efficiently. I mean, it lights up, but takes ME too much draw to bring its flame into the bowl.

A bic toward the middle/end of a bowl on relight is not fun.

If this doesn't pan out...I may go for a better pipe specific lighter.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
I wish they still made the Chic 4 Pipe lighter. It was an inexpensive butane pipe lighter that had a set of cheap but functional on board pipe tools, took a standard flint and has an angled, adjustable flame. The tank is generous and it works great out of the breeze, I found it in a lounge chair at the shop last year and could not find the owner. It's my go to for indoors and my Zippo goes with me outdoors.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
I've never understood this crazy misconception and concern about the temperature of a flame from a butane lighter, match, Zippo lighter, etc. Well, that's aside from some of the insane 'torch' lighters that will burn through a freaking safe lock, but then again they are not intended for lighting a pipe. Can we all say haja... never mind. Anyway, I never apply the flame (whatever implement I'm using) directly to the tobacco, albeit I may do so quickly with the charring light. I simply draw the flame above and into the tobacco. Matches, butane, fluid lighters... all the same as long as you know how to properly use them, and that also coincides with with this 'taste' thing from butane and fluid lighters which I've never experienced. If done properly... not an issue. But, that's just my personal take on it and I've never had any issue whatsoever with using any source of lighting up a bowl.

Reactions: vates
Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
I have an Od Boy for inside but a Zippo pipe lighter for the great outdoors. It sports a flame that could pass for a light house beacon but it will work in anything short of a gale. Gotta love those Zippos!

sfduke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2012
@settersbrace, SP has the IMCO Chic4 pipe lighters if you are still looking. Only place that I know that still has them online.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
That's an interesting pipe lighting method newbroom. I'm curious to hear how it works out for you. Keep us posted. :puffy:

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
@settersbrace, SP has the IMCO Chic4 pipe lighters if you are still looking. Only place that I know that still has them online.
Thanks! I'm ordering a couple, great lighter for the money IMHO.
Scratch that, no longer in stock. I hate when they do that, just take the item down if they don't have it.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I got a ball of wick today! I expected it in two days from the start of this thread, via Amazon's free 2 day delivery deal, but since one of the two items I'd ordered, the lighter case, had to be sourced and would take an indefinite period of time, I cancelled that part, and waited.

So...I've rigged up an old glass probiotic bottle with a hole in its cap and pulled a length of the waxed hemp wick from the inside of the ball (very important that you do it this way, long story about polyethylene rope here)

and have used the wick for several lights of my pipe today...and I'm liking the fact that I'm saving on butane and matches and not adding to the stuff I throw into my waste basket...It's working quite nicely.

uncleblackie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 20, 2014
I'm a fan of the hemp wick.
I just keep a length wrapped around a Bic lighter. It's always ready to go, and really does not take any significant effort to ignite and then begin lighting a pipe. I've read some comments from others in the past who think this is a complicated way to light a pipe and I think those people must be incredibly lazy or have never really tried it. I think matches are far more cumbersome and unreliable compared to the hemp wick/lighter method.
I like this method for a few reasons. One, I'm using less lighter fuel. My lighters last much longer. Two, it keeps the flame away from my fingers and hand. Three, I can get a larger flame if I wish which covers a greater area and lights my pipe faster.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Does one have to let the wick cool before returning the lighter to one's pants pocket? How well does it work in a breeze?
I seriously doubt laziness has anything to do with some of the member's reluctance to employ what appears to be a clumsy tool for lighting a pipe. I'm stumped as to the why! I don't burn my fingers with a Zippo, Bic, match or burning stick from the fire. I don't want a larger flame as I want control of where the flame ignites the leaf.
Just not seeing any pluses to a Bic and a wick. Bics are very good at that they do without additional bells and whistles.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Since my bic case was not immediately shippable, I cancelled that part of the order so as to get the wick right away.

The wick flame burns at a lower heat rate than matches or lighters, provides excellent control in the bowl, and eliminates a lot of concern one might have about the match going out, or burning down, and is a clean burning light.

It will not overheat your tobacco or your pipe. The overall effectiveness of the wick light is wonderful.

No additional odors or residual tastes. It's a more soothing light. A simple pinch of the wick eliminates that wick smoke you would otherwise get as the blown out flame finishes burning whatever hemp has been exposed at the tip of the wick due to the flame. It lights with my refillable butane torch or a bic in an instant, thus saving on fuel.

It floats my boat. I'm enjoying using it. I seem to have better control over the flame and less stress than with any other form of pipe lighting I've used. I am not a paid promoter for hemp wick. It just appealed to me and I'm glad I tried it.

michiganlover

Can't Leave
May 10, 2014
I wanted to try hemp wick, so I found some locally for $2 for 4 ft, really expensive compared to 420 ft for $15 for the product shown by the OP. 420 ft would probably last years!! Even the 4ft I have wrapped around my lighter will probably last nearly a week!!
After a few uses, I would say I like it, much easier to control flame than my bic alone.
I don't think any cost sayings will be huge though, as Bics are around $1 each, and off brand Bics can be had for as little as 25 cents. Assuming I don't lose it, and my wife doesn't take it a Bic will last me nearly a month!

Status
Not open for further replies.