PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
I was making my weekly trip to the B&M today, and when I got there I saw a couple of guys looking at the pipes. Melvin was with a customer, and I couldn't help but overhear these guys talking. They were admiring the Petersons and I couldn't help but chime in! About the time we started talking Melvin came over to see if they needed any help. One of them said that he was new to pipes and was looking for some advice on tobacco.

He said that he had been smoking Prince Albert and Carter Hall and that he liked those OK, but he wanted to try a couple of aros with a good flavor and no bite.

Me and Melvin proceeded to tell him about all the different kinds of tobaccos and brought him over to the House Blends for some sniffing. He ended up going with Melvin's C. C. Cavendish, which is a blend of 1Q and something else ( that I've never been able to pry out of Melvin, lol).

Meanwhile, the other guy was listening, but had previously stated that he didn't smoke.

While Melvin was weighing his tobacco out, I told the first guy that a good way to sample blends and build a rotation is with an MM cob, so he went an picked out a Country Gent. He also told me that he had been reading on the internet about Frog Morton, I told him that it is one of my favorites, but that it can be quite a shock if you've never had Latakia. I told him to come back in a week or so, after he'd tried the tobacco he'd picked, and give Frog Morton a shot!

Meanwhile, the other guy is still listening to every word.

I was trying to give this guy all the advice I could in a short amount of time, and still keep it fairly simple. After we had talked a while, he said "Man, there's a lot more to this than I thought!" I told him "Yeah, there is, but it's a fun experience! You can spend as much or as little as you like, and still enjoy it!"

Meanwhile, the other guy is hanging on every word.

Well when it was all said and done, the other guy had purchased an MM cob and a couple ounces of C. C. Cavendish, and they both left excited and with a smile and a big "Thanks" to me and Melvin!
I love it when the brotherhood gains a new member or two!

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
Great job! They should sign up here at the forum to complete the transformation. :puffy:

davidintexas

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 4, 2013
Great story Petes. I'm sure Melvin was quite glad to have your assistance. It makes a B&M a great place to be when those kind of interactions take place. Kuddos to you!

lurch76

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 2, 2013
What days and times are you usually there Pete? I need to head up there soon and stock some tins.

oldmannk

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 11, 2014
Way cool. I am sure they will be back. How would it be to run into them again and compare notes and see how they progressed.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
As with everyone else, "well done, Pete"
I'm sure that Melvin appreciated your assistance in getting 2 new pipe clients, as well.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
We should all carry business cards with the website and our screennames on them...
I don't think Kevin would approve... So don't do that. :wink:

stbruno70

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2013
Good on you. We all had someone introduce us once to the pleasures of the pipe.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Thanks a lot guys, it's a good feeling to help some guys get started. It's rare that I get to do that in person, but it does happen on occasion.
@lurch76. It just depends man, I work nights and a crazy schedule at that, so it just depends on what days I'm off. I'm usually in there at least once a week though. If I had to say, Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays are probably the days I'm there the most.

Status
Not open for further replies.