PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 29, 2016
I'm looking for a Virginia flake that is made of flue cured Bright leaf, taste profile: figs, freshly oven baked bread, hay and barely if not sweet. Any ideas?

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I've been off of Va flakes for some time now, but I think Dan's Tordenskjold Virginia Slices is worth a try -- altho it's more raisin-like than figgy. Also, specifying bright leaf with a bready taste might be impossible. That's usually attributed to red Va.
Also, in no particular order or degree of relevance:
McClelland - 40th Anniversary (maybe)

Escudo or Dunhill Navy Rolls

Solani 633 Virginia Flake with Perique

Dan's Hamburger Veermaster (maybe)

Robert McConnell Scottish Flake (big maybe)

Fribourg & Treyer Cut Blended Plug
Well, that's a start, I guess. Remember, it's the journey -- not the destination. :puffy:

Mar 29, 2016
I agree with you about the journey but sometimes and it's more and more often, I need a destination port. Also, I agree about the red Virginia and it's inevitable.Thanks.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Harris (cigrmaster) has been off the radar for some time now, but his list of Va flakes is a pretty good resource. You can check out his suggestions on TR.com to see if anything appeals to you. http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/for-all-the-new-folkscigrmasters-list-of-flakes

josephcross

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
Solani 633 is fantastic. It has a great fig flavour.

Highly recommended if you haven't had it already.

Cheers.

Mar 29, 2016
Thank you, I've tried Solani 633 it's very good but I'm searching for a Virginia only flake. After trying so many tobaccos, I want to concentrate on the flavors and nicotine level that appeal to me the most. In other words, I'm practicing Bruce Lee's philosophy of cutting instead of increasing. Yeah I know Bruce Lee and pipe tobacco, go figure.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
You might try Union Square. It's made of brights and reds with no/minimal added sugars. It has a some hay, a little bit of fruitiness and a good deal of bready flavors. My favorite VA flake by far.

Mar 29, 2016
Union Square is good but not what I'm looking for, thanks for the suggestion.
I'll try Tawny Flake, that could do it, thank you.

drrock

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2011
Minnesota
[I'm looking for a Virginia flake that is made of flue cured Bright leaf, taste profile: figs, freshly oven baked bread, hay and barely if not sweet. Any ideas?]
Have you tried entering your criterion for the flake you're seeking into tobaccoreviews.com?

Mar 29, 2016
I tried the European version of Ye Olde Signe and is more of a dark Virginia with cigar notes, thanks to the Bucharest Pipe & Cigar Club. Good stuff indeed but not what I had in mind.

Mar 29, 2016
I think that I found a good list. Now how am I going to sample all this? Some are going to be very difficult to obtain.I guess this is the journey Cortez was talking about.
Paul Olsen - No. 4 (My Own Blend)

Paul Olsen - Square Flake (My Own Blend)

Paul Olsen - Vintage Flake (My Own Blend)
McClelland Tawny Flake

Torben Dansk - No.15 Sailor's Flake

Sutliff Tobacco Company - Virginia Slices #507-C
Mac Baren - Capstan Gold Navy Cut

HU Tobacco - Haymaker (United Passion)

HU Tobacco - Sunset (United Passion)

Dan Tobacco - Skipper's Flake
Thanks to all

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Have you tried anything like McCranie's Red Flake?
If you look at that link for Harris' list of VA's you'll see some good stuff to try.
I know Harris particularly loved Capstan Blue, F&T Cut Virginia Plug and the discontinued Brigham Klondike.

Mar 29, 2016
I have a tin of Brigham Klondike but then it's discontinued. The new Capstan Blue is not the same as the Orlik version to my taste buds. I haven't tried the new Capstan yellow, the old one was perfect and I regret not stocking it. F&T Cut Virginia Plug has a flavoring and I should try McCranie's Red Flake.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.