PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
Hey guys, I have a 2001 can of GLP Haddo's delight that I reconstituted (first time to do this), improperly I think. I did the paper towel distilled water method, but I left it sitting overnight :roll: So it was damp mess. I let it air dry a good while until it was at the correct moisture level. I placed it in a mason jar and left it a few months. I decided to try a bowl today. I took some out and let it dry further until it appeared by feel to be just right. Loaded a bowl in a cob and gave it a smoke. It tasted .. just ok, but did this very weird thing to my tongue and mouth that seemed to suck the moisture out of my mouth.. literally. Like I had cotton mouth, and that was only after 5 minutes. I dumped the bowl because it was an unpleasant feeling.
So other than leaving it in the damp paper towel far too long. I guess I am asking is this a hit or miss thing when you reconstitute? And is this moisture sucking out of my mouth feeling normal for reconstituted tobacco?

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
I had opened a 10 year old tin of Haddo's last year and it was a little on the dry side but I didn't feel it needed any help. It smoked wonderfully and I made it a point to share it with several people who I knew would appreciate what the age had done for the blend. It had the fresh hay and oatmeal notes along with the dried plums or fig sweetness going on as well. C&D was tinning for Pease in 2004 and there are or weren't any humicant used in the process. So what many percieve as too dry are in fact ruining an otherwise perfect tobacco.

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
Thanks settersbrace, but this was from 2001 and it was dried out completely, I mean if i had mashed it up it would have turned to powder probably. I noticed after removing the label from the tin that the seam on the side had some rust on it, which is where it was probably compromised. This did not taste of anything resembling a fruit, and smelled liked wet tobacco.

eightywon

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 4, 2014
Not sure about the cotton mouth effect, but when I rehydrate i use a Tupperware with lid. Baccy in the container, paper towel over the container, lid on top, that way the wet towel never touches the baccy. Leave overnight and it should be gtg.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Those tins do kind of suck up the moisture in the tin and rust inside out. I personally will never sit on a tin of Haddo's for more than 2 years because I think it's really all it needs. Shame you lost that 2001 batch, I'll bet it would have been heavenly!

Status
Not open for further replies.