PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

auburnfan

Might Stick Around
Sep 19, 2017
Hey guys, when back home over Thanksgiving I picked up a great little sasieni pipe at the Briary. Short pipe, huge bowl, and a hell of a smoker. I don't know much about sasieni so I thought I'd ask the experts. It's a 4 dot walmut and Mark in order as followed: sasi€ni, four dot walnut, London made, made in England,...on the shank. It's marked as a "moorgate s". The stem has the white 4 dots and a small hole on the upside of the bit like a p lip.
I know this is pre 86, but I'm not sure if it is pre transition period. Any help you can give is greatly appreciated.
I still can't figure out how to post pictures, but my attempts at photos are in my album if helpful.
Thanks, Jake

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Photos, please. Otherwise we're shooting in the dark.
Here's one way:
Once your photos are on a photo hosting site (such as Imgur.com; Photobucket; Postimage; Dropbox, etc.), or on virtually any site, select the full image, then Control-click (Mac) or Right-click (Windows) on the image itself, then choose copy image location. Now paste that URL (the full web address, which should end in .jpg) into the IMG box in the reply window of the thread you're posting to.

auburnfan

Might Stick Around
Sep 19, 2017
Could be because I'm on my mobile. Got photos in my album just can't get them here. Will try when I can get to a PC. Thanks

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
img_20171126_213002147-600x337.jpg

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Shape 58S, the Moorgate with a saddle stem. From the markings you describe, and what I'm seeing, I'd say made during the period 1979-86. Sounds like a bite through on the stem. Stem shoulder is a bit rounded over at the stem/shank join. You should get that hole fixed.
:)

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
It's a 4 dot walmut and Mark in order as followed: sasi€ni, four dot walnut, London made, made in England
It has to be one or the other: "4Dot or Four Dot", it can't be both. Four Dot is '79 or older.

doctorbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Grand Ledge, Michigan
Also the presence of the shape name is generally recognized as dating the pipe to before 1979.
I agree the stern looks a little wonky as far as length, but it could be a normal variation. I would really like to see the hole in the stem.
Moorgate was the most common pot size produced.
Doc

doctorbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Grand Ledge, Michigan
Also forgot to mention I have a "Lombard" pot from Sasieni and it is my best smoking pot, by far. I hope that your "Moorgate" smokes as well or better!
Doc

joeman

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2016
South Carolina
tschiraldi - there is definitely a stem issue here. It appears that a previous owner has rounded off the edge of the stem face...likely didn't know what he was doing when sanding off some previous oxidation.
2d13hiw.jpg

auburnfan

Might Stick Around
Sep 19, 2017
Thanks guys for the responses and picture posting!
Doctor Bob confirmed my thoughts that it is pre 79. Thanks.
It is a moorgate s not a moorgate which agreed are much more common.
No problems with the stem / shank, but those pictures are cool!
Best $30 I've spent for an excellent smoker. It's going into the rotation.
Thanks guys for all the imput!!!!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I'v had two Moorgates on my bench in the past few years, a Ruff Root S and an Rustic with tapered stem. I'm not a Pot guy, so they were both sold (I think to owners here).
https://rebornpipes.com/2016/11/26/sasieni-moorgate-s-ruff-root-restoration/
https://rebornpipes.com/tag/sasieni-moorgate-rustic/

Status
Not open for further replies.