PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 30, 2014
wv
O.K. fellas, I know I will catch hell for this post, but here goes... I have been smoking a pipe since 1995, and a lot of people say aromatics are for beginners. Guess what, I still smoke aromatics. I have tried to branch out to English blends and a few others. I do like some burly blends. Im not into the cherry and vanillas. My go to smoke is black bourbon. Its not to sweet. I have tried several Dunhill blends. I wasted another $15 on some Dunhill Early morning pipe. It tastes like campfire ashes. So here is my Question: Is there something in between aromatics and English blends? I wont mind trying some stronger stuff as long as it doesn't have that housefire taste. Let the contempt commence. :)

yorkshirepipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2012
I've been in the hobby for 5 years and I still like aromatics too - I think there is a gap between aromatics and english blends, more tend to be known as non-aromatics. You can also get Aro-english, but I'm not sure what they entail, if I've spelt it correctly!
I would recommend going for either straight virginia blends, such as Full Virginia Flake, or maybe a bit of a mix between the two, Chocolate flake has some latakia in it and so isn't your usual aromatic nor is it there as an english blend - both of those by Samuel Gawith. If you're in the states then others will be able to recommend more I'm sure!

tamer291

Can't Leave
Jun 26, 2013
I still enjoy aromatics as well. You like what you like. I do however smoke Frog Morton Cellar or H&H Anniversary Kake. But my "go to" smoke is always an aromatic.

apatim

Can't Leave
Feb 17, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
Taste is so subjective - what others often love, I detest. I'm finding that I just have to try different blends and see what works for me. I have several I'll be giving away soon, I think.

Jan 8, 2013
A lot of people will recommend the Frog Morton series as a transition from aros to english. I haven't tried them, so I cn really speak on it, but I would recommend something along the lines of PS Luxury Navy Flake or McClelland's BB Bayou Slice. Both are VA/Per blends with very pleasant flavors and room notes that aren't too bad. Old Dark Fired is my go to smoke, but it is bold and slightly tangy and may not be quite what your looking for.

gregprince

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2014
As apatim suggests, you will most likely go through a lot of tobacco on the road to finding what suits your taste and even then your taste will likely evolve over time. Frog Morton and VA/per blends are both good suggestions to explore. There is a vast amount of information available here and on other sites to help narrow your search.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
OK, here's what we know so far: you like aromatics, you don't like English blends. That doesn't make you less of a pipe smoker, less manly, or less accomplished in your tastes than any other pipe smoker. It means you are a connoisseur, which means someone who knows what he likes. Doesn't sound at all bad to me. You might try Virginia's, as has been suggested above, and in that category, try Mac Baren Virginia No. 1--it's light, sweet, and quite pleasant.

And by the way, if in your exploration of aromatics you have not yet tried Iwan Ries Three Star Blue, may I suggest this one to you. It's an iconic blend that has been around a long time, and is advertised as the aromatic that doesn't taste like an aromatic, by which I suppose is meant that it's not as wet and goopy as some other aromatics. It does however, have a spectacular room note, and is a very pleasant smoking blend. One caution, It tends to be a bit on the hot side if not sipped slowly.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
As one that only smokes aromatics as well I'd suggest Dunhill Flake (straight Va), GL Pease Union Square (straight Va), Robert McConnell's Scottish Cake (Va/Per), and Three Nuns (Va/Bur). Those are blends that I smoked the entire tin of and enjoyed.

leonardw

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 30, 2011
Shameless self-promotion alert...

For an aromatic/latakia hybrid, try HGL. Might have a bit much vanilla for you, but it's what I typically recommend when folks are looking to make a transition.
A lot of folks have a love/hate relationship with Erinmore flake, but it's a mellow Virginia flake (no Latakia), with a hint of top flavor.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
+1 on Leonard's posting. HGL is a truly amazing blend and deserves to be in your cellar. It's got Latakia,, but it's not intrusive, it's sweet and mild, but it's not at all goopy, and withal, is a very pleasant tobacco that you may well enjoy.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Frog Morton Cellar. I don't consider it an aro, but some do. In any case, if I were forced to choose one blend to smoke for the rest of my life, it would be FMC.
a lot of people say aromatics are for beginners.
Many old timers who have smoked aros for decades would disagree. Taste is a funny thing. We often will tell ourselves that something or another is an "acquired" taste. IMO, what this means is that the body/taste buds naturally reject it - but we force it on ourselves until we actually do like it (or we become addicted to it.)
Taste is very subjective, but if someone wants to believe their taste buds are superior to another's because they have moved on from aros - that's their fantasy and they are welcome to it. :puffy:

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
Mac Baren Vanilla Creame Flake is pretty tasty. It is considered an aromatic but doesnt have the real sweet and "cheap" taste to it. It comes in a great pressed flake and it has an excellent flavor.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Daniel, it sounds like you don't like Latakia. So here are some crossover blends I would recommend that don't include Lat:
- GL Please Barbary Coast

- Erinmore Flake

- Orlik Golden Sliced

- Rattray's Marlin Flake

- Peterson's University Flake
If you want to take another swing at Latakia, in small doses with plenty of sweet intertwined, give Pipeworks & Wilke a call and try some No.5

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Thanks for all the info guys. I will keep looking for that new "magic blend". I think you guys nailed it. I'm guessing Latakia is what gives the overbearing smokey taste. I haven't any pipe buddies in my neck of the woods, so there isn't any fellow tobacco sampling for me. I just have buy and try. Trial and error tasting. Usually ending with a waste of $20 and another cellared jar. I suppose I'll open the early morning pipe blend in a decade from now and give it another shot.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Daniel, I think you've nailed down that Latakia is the issue and you are wise to cellar it. Come back to it in a year or two and who knows? I love the stuff personally but that's what makes us all different and therefore there are thousands of blends to try.
I love the Dr. Steve avatar btw. The show is sick.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013

Try Palidin Black Cherry.
After three bowls of Palidin, most non-aros suck less.

ithelouniverse

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2013
West Texas
Great crossover blends

-mans best friend

-Kentucky planter- straight burley with a hint of something nice

-grey havens. Maybe it's gray havens. Don't know. It's a VaBurPer with a drop of sweet
I've found a couple of places online calling these subtle non Aros "American blends."

And over at pipes and cigars the have a non aro sampler pack. Good stuff.

thehappypiper

Can't Leave
Feb 27, 2014
I must admit I did read the thread title three times to see if I had understood it right.

I am so sorry for the OP. It's like "I like kissing, but hate to see a woman naked"
Go onto tobaccoreviews.com and do an advanced search for a mild to medium straight Va with nocasing and four stars.
Good luck.

peter70

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2013
People always connect Latakia blends with blends, which contain 25-40% Latakia, but there are blends, where Latakia is used as spice with 5-10%. In them it gives a certain smokiness, but dos not overwhelm the rest. Additionally, there is an enormous range between high flavored aromatics and Virginia/Burley tobaccos, wich are slightly flavored.

Status
Not open for further replies.