PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

coyja

Can't Leave
Feb 10, 2018
Spinning ball of dirt
Purchased this chunky pipe recently, but it is unmarked.

Seems like it might be a Custombilt, either a second or one of the other brands they made.

Anyone have any idea?

One thing that seems different is the "imported briar" being on two lines...

dG4WEcI.jpg

DEXArtJ.jpg

d4BaGo2.jpg

JEJ0rDY.jpg

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Its my understanding that the heavy rustication typical of Custombilt pipes was very popular during the 1940's and 1950's. Lots of pipe makers made pipes with that style rustication, so it's hard to say who actually made the pipe, and what year. Good luck with the identification.

coyja

Can't Leave
Feb 10, 2018
Spinning ball of dirt
Thanks. Yeah, I love the rustication on this one for sure...
I do feel like that two line "imported briar" might be a clue, because I haven't been able to id any Custombilts with that style.

Or, it might be meaningless.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
It could be a BP Jum or a Jobey brand pipe but I think they would have been stamped with the brand name if they were. Just as Custombilt would be. It could have been made by one of those makers for a B&M shop too.

coyja

Can't Leave
Feb 10, 2018
Spinning ball of dirt
Supposedly, there its a connection between BP Jum and Custombilt... or at least an unscientific one (NW Pipesmoker on Youtube)

I don't think it's a Jobey... doesn't quite fit that esthetic.

My best guess is that it was either meant for another brand's stamp, was a second, or somehow got out the door without being stamped.

The rustication pattern is rather unique, so I'm hoping someone out there recognizes it.

coyja

Can't Leave
Feb 10, 2018
Spinning ball of dirt
I looked at Webers, but it seems that the top of the bowl is angled on all the examples I saw, with shallow double grooves.

Weber did make the Streamliner, which has those dramatic deep grooves, but most everything else they made (that is available to look at online) looks very shallow grooved and the proportions not quite right.

This pipe has a smooth rounded transition at the top and the grooves are more substantial.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to wedge this into a Custombilt if it really isn't... but to me it seems more Wally Frank in style and design.

piffyr

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2015
I'd be willing to bet dollars to donuts that snagstangl has it right. The pipe was made by Weber, though not the Scoop shape. The rustication is not at all the same as the texture that Custombilt became famous for...
rZanDcN.jpg

... but to me it seems more Wally Frank in style and design.
The Wally Frank company didn't actually manufacture pipes, per se. They either bought pipes/stummels from third parties or contracted with manufacturers. Many Wally Frank branded pipes were made at the Weber factory using Weber shapes. Some later Custombilts made under the Wally Frank umbrella use these same shapes, but this isn't one of them.

coyja

Can't Leave
Feb 10, 2018
Spinning ball of dirt
That definitely makes sense, then I'll keep digging to see if I can find an apples for apples comparison.

I did find this Weber, which bears a closer resemblance, thought the rustication differs and it lacks the grooved bands:

https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/estate/misc/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=229943

Would just really love to find a model with more of the same features to definitely nail it down... why couldn't it just be marked, lol!?

Status
Not open for further replies.